BMW Electronic Handbrake

Associate
My new ride has an autobox and one of those new BMW electronic handbrakes on a silly switch.

No I know I will forget to put it on at times as it is not natural for me at the moment.

The question is, with the car locked in Park on the shifter, and me forgetting to apply the handbrake, am I right in thinking it can't roll forwards or backwards.

Logically I would guess it is not good for the gearbox to be hanging on the transmission to stop it rolling, but it will be piece of mind if I "forget" the silly switch handbrake.

Thanks

It's weird how so many people get their heads really messed up just because the handbrake is a small switch instead of a great big lever as if the size of the handbrake makes all the difference.

Not at all, it is the very fact I have spent 20 years with a big olde lever and that I may / will forget this little switch. Just wanting my logic checking the car will not roll if I forget it and walk off.

Thanks all, will read the manual more and test tomorrow.

Auto boxes lock the transmission when in park, if I recall a pin moves and locks it which is why its best not to rely on it as your only means of preventing it from moving. For instance, if you park on a hill it will put unnecessary stress on the pin instead of your handbrake.

The fact you may forget is exactly what I meant in my original post. Nearly all drivers pull the handbrake up automatically without thinking when parking, its second nature. When you change that big old lever for a small switch, for many people IME it changes the whole ball game for some odd reason, its as if the size of the lever makes all the difference.

The post I was looking for and confirms my logic. It will not roll as "pin" locked in park, but always use the handbrake for safety. Must get it into my head, handbrake is that ickle switch :)

Doesn't help the switch is nowhere near where the handbrake lever would normally be but on the passenger side of the centre console :D:D

Thanks

I'm still pretty sure you wont ever have to use the switch :confused:

It is there for a reason otherwise they wouldn't have put it there is how I look at it. Handbrakes are safety measures to stop the car rolling on hills if the gearbox fails and lets the car roll. It also takes unnecessary stress off the gearbox.

Never had an electronic one with a auto box before, so wanted to check my logic for peace of mind for the 1st few weeks when I know (and have) forgotten about that ickle switch.

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom