BMW M2 competition, what do you think?

Soldato
The M4 / M4 CP seats are 100x better than the M2 or M2 LCI seats and like you've read... some of the best I've experienced in any car.
Agreed, and I speak from experience having done 72k miles in an M135i LCI and now have an M3. The seats are lovely.

It is worth noting that the CP seats are different to the standard M seats though, and it's not only the holes in the back. The side bolsters come further forwards and are slightly "squarer" giving improved lateral support over the standard M seats (though those are still very good).

Soldato
OP
do you get low rpm i,e street driving nice noises as the N55 in the M2 does?
what I've read and heard via youtube you only get any sort of noise when on the boil!

In the end i've let ordering a new N55 M2 slip me buy, despite an online decision maker helper saying to go for the outgoing car I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The competition very much seems like the car the engineers at M division wanted to build all along and i'd be too paranoid to order an outgoing car model, especially one this expensive.

Permabanned
do you get low rpm i,e street driving nice noises as the N55 in the M2 does?
what I've read and heard via youtube you only get any sort of noise when on the boil!

In the end i've let ordering a new N55 M2 slip me buy, despite an online decision maker helper saying to go for the outgoing car I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The competition very much seems like the car the engineers at M division wanted to build all along and i'd be too paranoid to order an outgoing car model, especially one this expensive.

If you put the throttle settings on "sport plus" the valve is always open. You can also start with valve open by pressing on button without foot on pedal, switching to sport plus and then starting the car.

There is also a really easy bodge to keep the flaps open 24/7... or you can get a cheap remote bypass.

So in other words... yes... you just have to have it on the right setting or do one of the easy mods.

Soldato
OP
Good to know. From what I've seen the competition gets throttle and steering adjustability via buttons even on a manual car?

Soldato
Seriously considering swapping to an M2 in the near future. The facelift M2 really appeals to me, but I wonder if the competition would be much better?

I’ve been to two dealers but neither had any used in stock to have a look round. On the system there were a few pre-LCI models and a bunch of pre reg - but I wouldn’t want to spend £50k+ on a pre reg.

Had to educate the dealer on the fact that there was a facelift in the first place...go figure.

Things I like the most about the Competition are the new seats, but I’m less bothered about the addition power, I reckon standard M2 power would be more than enough as a car to use daily.

Soldato
OP
It does, where the standard M2 just has the Comfort/Sport/Sport+ toggle button that you get in all 1/2/3 series cars.
Nice to have that IMO

yes my dealer is calling it the M2 Competition Pack :p I actually know more about the car than all the dealers

One dealer said the sports seats will be optional extra, far as I can tell for UK spec they are included?

Soldato
OP
Thread resurrection! crinkleshoes did you take delivery yet?

I didn't move on changing cars, I'm waiting for a 2017 LCI to drop in price a bit on the used market. Planning mods already hehe

Man of Honour
I wanted a smaller/lighter car than the M3/M4. So I've got a Nov 2017 M2. First thing I did on it was uprate the brake fluid and pads.

It's just gone into garage for some more serious upgrades - Bilstein suspension, Recaro seats (but heated ones still!!), replace the huge standard steering wheel with something vaguely sensible, new exhaust, remap, rear seat delete and maybe a half cage.

The standard suspension really is terrible on the road and only 'ok' on the track. It is a great fun car overall though and gets attention at petrol stations that I don't really know what to do about lol.

I suppose I should've just waited and bought the M2 comp but I only paid 35k ish for this thing. Edit: I should've actually bought a 235i cup car but nevermind.

Actually, I should've bought a Cayman, but for some reason the look of the M2 just appealed more to me....

Permabanned
M2 vs Cayman depends what you want from the car.

Cayman is technically better and will be faster round a track... but it’s not a slider fun car, you can’t even turn stability control off unless you get the GT4.

M cars are hooligans that’ll let you drift everywhere but still handle themselves well when you want to get the most out of a lap without sliding.

M2 more fun for the road, IMO.

Soldato
OP
If I get round to buying a used LCI next year I am designed to driving to Litchfield to try and may have their AST tuned suspension package fitted.

Sounds like it provides UK B-road compliance over crests.

Back
Top Bottom