BMW Warranty/Warranty Direct etc

Soldato
Lo all,

There's been a lot of talk around here recently about the importance of getting an extended warranty after the 3-year manufacturer's warranty has run out, especially with a BMW and especially with a diesel.

My parents have never taken out a warranty on a second-hand car, preferring just to deal with work as-and-when it is needed. However, they have only ever had Vauxhalls and Fords; the bills for the 530d could be considerably more painful than anything they've had to deal with in the past.

I've looked into Warranty Direct and they want about £600 annually to cover it, BMW Comprehensive is £1,400pa (including Emergency Service – £1,300 without).
The car is a 2005 55 plate with 66k miles on it.

Firstly, what difference would we see between WD and BMW for the extra £700?

Secondly, as the car is a Cat D and wasn't repaired at a BMW approved garage, will any warranty company touch it with a barge-pole?

There is a disclaimer on the BMW site that says "I can confirm that my vehicle has been fully serviced in accordance with the manufacturing recommendations/intervals and has not been modified in anyway."

Should I assume that technically I can't tick that check-box?

Cheers for any advice guys.

Man of Honour
Whilst the BMW warranty is the best, the prices charged on a 5 Series after 60k miles make it more or less pointless - if you pay that for 3 years you'll spend almost £4500 on warranty payments. Plus it becomes increasingly blurred what is classified as 'Wear and tear' and what isnt after 60k miles. I don't really understand how the pricing structure for the BMW warranty was arrived at - they price it per car model not per specific model.

So, this means a 318i and a 335i cost the same - £540 for sub 60k cover with zero excess - but it also means a 520d and a 550i cost the same, a ridiculous £900 for sub 60k cover with zero excess. A great deal for the 335i owner, a poor deal for the 520d owner!

With people like WD you get the coverage for much less money and crucially - they cover wear and tear after 90 days. However the claims process is not as streamlined - you will often be waiting around for days for authorisation to carry out repairs and they send an 'engineer' to 'inspect' the problem if the bill is over a certain threshold. If you take an aftermarket warranty like this you need to be careful who you go with, and even once you've chosen the best, or least worst I should put it, you should be prepared to have a fight over some of the claims you'll make.

This is largely why I now think that older/higher mileage BMW's are simply not worth the bother, though I appreciate in your case the circumstances are a bit different and you've already got it.

In your shoes I'd be tempted to go with somebody like WD but on the understanding that the claims process won't be easy and hasslefree and might raise your bloodpressure at times.

It's far from ideal, but I guess it beats just paying the bills.

Oh, let WD stew for a bit - they'll call you on a regular basis offering much lower prices. I suspect you'll get that down to about £400.

Soldato
I pay £40 a month for my warranty direct cover. I can't remember what it's called but it's the top cover and I have £50 excess on the policy.

Associate
I've got a 530D M Sport, 55 plate and with warranty direct it is about £35 a month.

Definitely worth it as I had to claim on my previous 330D for a broken fuel pump etc which would have set me back over £700 if I had no cover.

Soldato
Thanks for the input guys, useful as always on OCUK. :)

Do you think the Cat D thing will be an issue with Warranty Direct?

GBH4, I know what you mean – the last service was £800 with a rear ball joint, oil and rear brake pads being replaced. I know the oil and pads wouldn't be covered by a warranty but I assume the balljoint would have been covered...

Soldato
Thanks for the input guys, useful as always on OCUK. :)

Do you think the Cat D thing will be an issue with Warranty Direct?

GBH4, I know what you mean – the last service was £800 with a rear ball joint, oil and rear brake pads being replaced. I know the oil and pads wouldn't be covered by a warranty but I assume the balljoint would have been covered...

doubt the balljoint would be covered - that would likely be wear and tear unless you could prove otherwise - which i think would be difficult.

Warranties are horses for courses - i have a 530d 55 plate M sport - i decided that 2.5 years ago NOT to take a warranty - my choice.

It's up to individuals what they want/ decide to do

So in effect I've "saved" - approx £2k - over last 2.5 years- by not paying a warranty.

However - so far I've paid out - £700 for a new central control unit (probably would be covered under a warranty claim), 2 steering rod arms and 2 ball joints (however managed to successfully claim from local council for these after providing proof of damage due to pothole! - £450).

That is the only major spending - outside general servicing which would not be covered.

I appreciate that I am gambling on not having any major breakdowns etc but it's your choice - i would check the Cat D situation with either warranty company before you commit to it!

Some of the prices above sound crazy for your servicing!!- i got local bmw indy to do front pads and sensors for £150, and yesterday got vehicle check and 2 new microfilters fitted by them for £83.

Would never go back to a dealers again once I've found a good indy that uses OEM BMW parts and stamps the book for me.