BMW X 5/ NISSAN QASHKAI - Used BMW X5 or Nissan Qashkai? What to choose?

Associate
Hi everyone!

I'm going to buy a new car soon, so I'd like you to share your opinion on the following matter: what is better - a 5 years old Nissan Qashkai or a 10 year old BMW X5?

I mean, what would you buy for roughly the same price? Nissan for £12500 or BMW for £10000.

I presume that parts for BMW would be more expensive. But how much more? Approximately. Give examples, if possible.

How much more expensive would be overall running cost of BMW, if it would?

Thank you in advance.

Soldato
Qashqai. Have one myself (Mrs car) and its been fine. I wouldn't be comfortable spending that on a 10yr old X5.

Not sure where you're looking by £12500 will get you a 2/3 yr old Qashqai. You can have my 64plate for £12500 if you want :D

Associate
OP
Qashqai. Have one myself (Mrs car) and its been fine. I wouldn't be comfortable spending that on a 10yr old X5.

Not sure where you're looking by £12500 will get you a 2/3 yr old Qashqai. You can have my 64plate for £12500 if you want :D
I was not actively searching yet. But this price was on motorscouk for 2014 and 2015 year old Qashkai. And how old is urs, by the way? Tell ur Mrs to drive carefully, as I might be willing to buy it soon!:D Well, I hope it will be soon, as I still need to pass my drivining test first. And it's scheduled at the end of January:)

Soldato
If you're even considering running costs, you will not want to be running a 10 year old X5, or anything else of that ilk.

A Qashqai or one of its closer rivals will be the things to look at.

Associate
OP
If you're even considering running costs, you will not want to be running a 10 year old X5, or anything else of that ilk.

A Qashqai or one of its closer rivals will be the things to look at.
Ok, thanx. I'll be thinking over Qashkai, Kia Sportage, Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV 4

Soldato
Can you even compare an X5 to a Qashqai, aren't in completely different sectors?

If I was considering an X5 then I'd also be looking at the Audi and Mercedes equivalents.

If I wanted a Qashqai then I'd be looking at the offerings from Honda, Toyota, Skoda, Peugeot, Citroen etc... and maybe even Kia and Hyundai.

Soldato
I'd only go down the x5 route of you can stomach the costs.

My boss had a 61 plate which he sold and looked at getting into the same shape again recently. Think he paid £380 per rear tyre but they seem to sit around £250 for a Dunlop. It was in and out the dealer for various creaks/knocks and corroded wheels being replaced.

Even the newest E70s seem iffy due to age when you start to look at MOT history. Brakes are massive, suspension complicated and I wouldn't want to try fix one on a budget.

Soldato
A 2013 Qashqai is a no brainer over a 2008 X5 but that's not really the issue here.

A Qashqai has no off road ability and will offer less overall space/room. So if those things are big issues then you shouldn't be looking at them.

Man of Honour
Can you even compare an X5 to a Qashqai, aren't in completely different sectors?

Isn't the X3 more closer to the Qashqai than the X5? I gave the X3 a glance recently as a tangent to another purchasing decision just to explore my options and it is quite a nice place to be to be fair but overall doesn't really do it for me.

Caporegime
Isn't the X3 more closer to the Qashqai than the X5? I gave the X3 a glance recently as a tangent to another purchasing decision just to explore my options and it is quite a nice place to be to be fair but overall doesn't really do it for me.

The qashqai is more similar to the x1 nevermind the x3!

Soldato
£12.5k should get you into a 66plate or newer Qashqai, other options, something like a Hyundai Tuscon you could pick up for less than £12k. Even an 13/14 plate Q3 should be possible.

Soldato
old man has a x5 right in your age range . X35d . mechanically sound remapped to 375bhp and lots of torque

it has given some eye watering bills with just small niggles.

body control module fault was best part of £700 towbar wiring issue £500 tyres are expensive if you have the bigger wheels and consumables will be a lot more than on the quashqai.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Hopefully the thread isnt a wind up.

10 year old X5 as a 1st car, why :p Have a look into Insurance on something like the X5, as a 1st car its going to be a fair wedge.

Theres much better SUV's to be spending your money on. Volvo XC60,Q5 even Xtrail. A posh old badge is going to be a pain to run.

Man of Honour
old man has a x5 right in your age range . X35d . mechanically sound remapped to 375bhp and lots of torque

it has given some eye watering bills with just small niggles.

body control module fault was best part of £700 towbar wiring issue £500 tyres are expensive if you have the bigger wheels and consumables will be a lot more than on the quashqai.

Yeah my dad was quite interested in the X5 when they'd not long been released but was put off by the bills they were throwing up even then. Up until he got his latest Touran think he still secretly wanted one but full spec latest Touran is a vast improvement on the older VW vehicles in a similar class and seems to keep him happy very different to an X5 obviously.

Back
Top Bottom