Board Games Online

Soldato
So what are people's go to websites for online board games? I don't have the room to buy and store a load of board games, also don't exactly have the friends to play with. So yesterday my brother let me know about some sites he recently started using and was wondering what you guys are also using?

https://en.boardgamearena.com

https://tabletopia.com/

Currently tried Don't Stop and Noir: Killer versus Inspector. Going to read the rules and try play K2 today also.

Soldato
OP
So just finished a solo game playing K2, pretty enjoyable once I got my head around it. Question though for anyone who may have played the game. Say I take risk value 1 token, if say I have an acclimatization card with the value of 0, is it possible to use the risk 1 token and put it on the 0 value card and if so, what happens? Does that card become -1 or does nothing happen?

Also another question regarding the final end game when you count up your victory points. Both my guys was on acclimatization level 2 but due to the way the round went, I ended up with them both on -1. Does this mean I'd have scored 0 victory points or would only one of them die?

Associate
Yes, a few of us have Tabletop Simulator.
It's pretty good for the most part as you can get almost any boardgame on there with user content being added constantly.
Even new KickStarter games like Nemesis are on there. Quite a few also have scripts built in to automate parts of the setup and point tracking.

Very important - If you're hosting a table on that, disable the ability for people to flip the table as some people can't resist the urge to press that button... :p

Soldato
boiteajeux.net has a lot of good games including Concordia and Trajan, but you will need to learn the rules because they're not supplied. Brettspielwelt used to be good, but I haven't been there in years.

Soldato
Yes, a few of us have Tabletop Simulator.
It's pretty good for the most part as you can get almost any boardgame on there with user content being added constantly.
Even new KickStarter games like Nemesis are on there. Quite a few also have scripts built in to automate parts of the setup and point tracking.

Very important - If you're hosting a table on that, disable the ability for people to flip the table as some people can't resist the urge to press that button... :p

Guilty :D

Associate
From what I've played on TTS, some of them are very accurate representations of the game, some games have multiple copies on the workshop from different people uploading content so you may get one that has less functionality than others... with over 20,000 entries on the workshop, some are bound to be a complete mess.
I'd say quite often if you search the workshop for terms like 'complete' or 'scripted' then those versions more often than not contain everything and work properly.

So far I've played Catan, Castle Panic, Love Letter, Sheriff of Nottingham, Relic, Betrayal at House on the Hill and The Resistance on TTS with them working correctly.

Soldato
OP
So last night me and my brother played K2, Can't Stop and Eruption. All pretty decent and fun games. I seem to like Tabletopia and BGA for different reasons. TT is great if you want the feeling of playing around an actual board with moving the counters yourself, however, it does require manuals as from my solo play with K2 it doesn't tell you if you make a mistake. BGA's game interface can be somewhat confusing at first but I like this site as even in K2, you can't play any moves that would be illegal. Also since they are both browser based and doesn't require Steam, they are a great option.

@suenstar when you say "scripted", what is that? Just certain parts of the movements are automatically done or the game tells you if you can't play a certain move you're trying to play?

Associate
@suenstar when you say "scripted", what is that? Just certain parts of the movements are automatically done or the game tells you if you can't play a certain move you're trying to play?
Mainly the scripted ones are games where they'd done a bit of coding implement buttons to do things like:

Complete the start-up phase of a game, so you pick your characters click a button and it gets you ready to go.
Automatically track scoring.
Randomise things.
Deal cards/resources.
Set victory conditions and automatically end the game when they're met.
Add a searchable rulebook to the table.
Manage character sheets for roleplay games.

I'm not sure if any of the scripts will block you from doing things the game doesn't allow, never really tested that.
When our roleplay group played Catan we did manage to temporarily break a script that dealt out resources, we manually put items back into the wrong piles and the script got confused on which pile of resources was which and couldn't deal cards out.

Back
Top Bottom