Bolton Vs Arsenal (Cup Replay)

Soldato
I think Aliadiere deserves a mention after that game.

Apparently on the verge of being sold, but with a performance like that I wouldn't like to see him go. The skill he showed going round players, shifting his body so fast, and very quick feet, as well as a perfect pass...if he doesn't make striker then he should be kept as a reserve winger or something.

Isn't it amazing to think that Arsenal are now getting rid of players? Too many strikers we have 5 (not counting up and coming bentner and lupoli), 4 wingers, 4 central midfielders (5 if you count batista), we had to get rid of Lauren.

Still missing proper left back cover, and could do with a better central defensive cover.

Almunia I must say has been very good this season.

Soldato
rossyl said:
I think Aliadiere deserves a mention after that game.

Apparently on the verge of being sold, but with a performance like that I wouldn't like to see him go. The skill he showed going round players, shifting his body so fast, and very quick feet, as well as a perfect pass...if he doesn't make striker then he should be kept as a reserve winger or something.

I've never been overly impressed by him when he has made the step up to first team.

He did well when he came on yesterday, but at the same time you have to think about the condition of the opposition at that time. He was often running against Campo, who even at full fitness was never going to get near him.

I'd rather judge him against players on the same stamina levels as him which so far in his Arsenal career has been disappointing.

Man of Honour
Ratings in the sun were a bit of a joke today, Ljungberg and Aliadiere both got 5/10 yet Baptista got 8/10. OK so they didn't play the whole match but they still make a difference to the game.

Very pleased to get a result at the reebok, all the time it was 1-0 I was convinced Bolton would equalise as it only takes them one set piece to get even.

Icing on the cake would have been Anelka getting sent off, I find it incomprehensible that he should be booked for that challenge. There was a case for him having won the ball (albeit taking a bit of the man afterwards), in which case it shouldn't have been a foul at all. But if you give the penalty then it absolutely HAS to be a red card, since it was WORSE than a professional foul, as it was an open goal with Jaaskelainen caught upfield.

One thing which suprised me was that Bolton weren't a bit more physical, especially considering how lenient the ref was being. Everyone knows you need to get stuck into Arsenal, let them know you're there, rough them up a bit or however you want to put it. With Chris Foy keeping his cards close to his chest, I'm suprised there weren't a few more hatchet jobs from Bolton.

Soldato
[ASSE]Hinchy said:
I tell you who I do like a lot. Denilson.

Had him on a Football Manager game and he was class on it. Found it funny when Arsenal bought him, but whenever I have seen him play he has been VERY impressive for me.

His level of composure on the ball and skill, as well as vision and quick feet! Awesome. Not sure how we can ever play him and Fabregas in the same side though??? As he isn't a winger, and neither are defensive enough IMO.

Soldato
I always thought Denilson was billed as a DM. His play suggests otherwise although both him and Fabregas aren't afraid to get stuck in. I think they'd be ok in the middle considering both Rosicky and Hleb get back and tackle a lot more than Pires and Freddy ever did.

I think we should ditch the beast, apart from 2 games where he scored a lot he hasn't impressed me at all. His passing, dribbling and shooting all leave a lot to be desired. He has been so wasteful. Ali has been far better and has changed my opinion of him recently. I think he brings something extra to the team and worth keeping as a squad player. Could be our own SuperSub.

Soldato
Baptista is getting better with each game I see him. Its not easy to adjust to the English style of play but he is doing it gradually. Arsenal don't struggle to score goals with him in the team either, suggesting he may offer a bit more than just what he does on the ball.

Soldato
CliffyG said:
I thought he was absolutely terrible against Bolton.

For me he links the play between midfield and attack very well.

Just seems to be lacking a bit in self belief when it comes to the final shot though, like in extra time on Wednesday with what was neither a cross nor a shot. If he believes in himself, he drills that.

Soldato
rememeber Pires in his first season...awful doesn't even cut it. I remember him fluffing passes, getting into the box and looking like he was sooo scared he'd wet himself.

Baptista needs confidence, and games, and he will get better. He did mess up in the second game against Bolton, as I commented earlier in the thread.

However, he gives arsenal something that we miss...the want to shoot. Aliadiere occasionally will have a pop as well. Which is what is sometimes needed rather than our "perfect goal" football which doesn't always work.

Further, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, he is a brilliant squad player who can play anywhere. So i'd say definately keep him. He adds physical presence which we most certainly lack.

On a different point, i cannot wait to see the day when Diaby makes it, I loved him when he initially signed, him and Fab in the centre will be brilliant. That is unless Denilson changes his style.

Soldato
[ASSE]Hinchy said:
For me he links the play between midfield and attack very well.

Just seems to be lacking a bit in self belief when it comes to the final shot though, like in extra time on Wednesday with what was neither a cross nor a shot. If he believes in himself, he drills that.

Agreed.
Just look how Rosicky has changed this season.

Soldato
But he isnt even particularly strong in the challenge, i've yet to see him bustle his way through a couple of tackles / pull backs. It's not just his shooting which is off either, the amount of over hit passes he played was shocking. I know it's his first year and that most players dont start playing to their potential till the second season but to be honest i think we can do without him and his no doubt rather large transfer fee. I really wanted him to be given a chance and do well but i just feel a little disappointed by him.

Man of Honour
Problem with Baptista for me is he sometimes seems to want too much time on the ball, which you aren't going to get in Britain.

As for Denilson, what has impressed me most is that he's not afraid to get stuck in, considering his age and physique I was a bit worried about him getting bullied but that seems not to be the case.

Traore and Walcott look out of their depth a little for me, I don't think they'll be fully ready for the top level for another 18 months or so. I know some people have been expecting Walcott to feature heavily but as I said this time last year, I didn't want him in the side for a couple of years.

Fair play to Nolan for coming out in his column and admitting that the best team won.

Soldato
I think that Baptista has a role to play at the club, although i don't personally believe that its as a centre forward, i'd much rather have him play as an attacking midfield runner who gets into the box late like freddie made a habit of in his prime.

Baptista's strength is immense as he's demonstrated on a few occasions that he can run at players and scare the crap outta them, sounds like a wenger player to me.

Otherwise i think Djourou has been awesome this season, he's gone from carling cup regular to first team starter (ok with injuries) but he really has come on so much and is my candidate for most improved this season along with Hoyte and Adebayor.

As has been mentioned the only problem we have is squad congestion :eek: fabregas, silva, diaby, denilson, baptista, rosicky all able to play in the centre.

Back
Top Bottom