1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boob Job on NHS

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Mr.T, 21 May 2006.

1. Mr.T

Hitman

Word,

To my amazement last night whilst in a bookshop my eyes wandered over a headline in a tabloid paper, stating that someone from the new big brother had a boob job on the NHS. The people who get the operation often claim they need them due to the fact that lack of breast is causing them depression. I am all for offering these people counseling and things of a similar nature, but paying (3k I think) for this operation is absurd. There are people in the NHS who are expecting to be laid of in the near future, hospitals being threatened to get close down, whilst at the same time this kind of rubbish is being funded.

Views?

Thanks

2. teaboy5

Soldato

To be honest its only 3k. The only thing i can think about is that its timing time up in the operating theatre. But its 3k and come on the government will waste it else where.

3. kibblerok

Soldato

are you serious?

4. Drizmod

Wise Guy

And if more people decided to have this on the NHS then?

5. Haircut

Mobster

You want to give me £3K then?

You don't seem to be all that bothered about the government wasting money - it may only be £3K, but think about all the other things they probably waste money on - £5K here, £10K there.

Soon you have a hell of a lot of money wasted.

6. iSam

Soldato

This is insane! A boob job isn't health enhancing, its purely superficial, god damn it that 3k could have been spent on a more important improvement to someones life.

7. jezsoup

PermaBanned

I seem to remember this topic come up a year or more ago. The reasoning beihnd ,a s stated, is depression etc etc. To which I said giving a boob job isnt curing a problem its giving into it with out sorting the underlying issues.

I woman feels insecure so you give her boobs, how long till she gets insecure about another part of her body. The money should eb spent on giving correct psycological help.

8. neoboy

Capodecina

I guess she argued the point that to be truely healthy you need to be in good physical and mental state and she could only be in good mental state if she had a boob job to improve her confidence and thus decrease her depression. So yeah she was just being a lying ***** and got a free boob job. What makes me slightly agitated and call her more bad words is that my dad was turned down for an operation recently (due to NHS cost cutbacks, happened recently when they cancelled thousands of operations all over the country). It wasn't a life threatening thing but it was causing him quite great physical discomfort. Thing is he already had the appointment for the surgery and he turned up on the day and was told he suddenly didn't need it. Happened around the time when NHS was talking about cutbacks and money problems so real reason was too clear.

9. Rich_L

Capodecina

I'm fascinated by the level of understanding displayed so far about the psychology of women who are unhappy with their bodies (IIRC isn't it called body dysmorphic disorder), I never knew we had so many trained psychiatrists (who, for the NHS to fund the operation, have to agree that the woman is suffering from severe depression as a result of her unhappiness with her body) on these here forums. Added to the depth of understanding of each patients medical history and background to make a judgement call on their integrity.....

Do you guys think 'proper' counselling or treatment for psychiatric disorders is cheap? Or even possible in every case?

10. neoboy

Capodecina

Yeah and by further reinforcing to the patient that there is something wrong with them and just giving them that is that effective too? So after getting the boob job the woman will suddenly realise that it's not gonna work like focus-pocus and make her happy and then want another plastic operation? What happened to telling people to accept the way they are? Sure this isn't a just world and rich/good looking people/whatever else people get it better but that's the way it is and people got to realise that.

11. jezsoup

PermaBanned

but liek I said id a womans insecure with their body after they have ahd their boob job whast to stopt he insecuriting popping up again and them demanding surgery for another part of their body and so on.

12. wormwood

Mobster

Every single person has some insecurity about their body. Most of us don't have cosmetic surgery. If I had pathetic pecs should I get pec implants? No. If I had a tiny penis should I get a free enlargment? No. If I am going bald should I recieve free hair transplants? No. So the depression argument doesn't wash. Now breast reductions because of back problems I would be slightly more sympathetic towards.

13. JimmyEatWorms

PermaBanned

Thinking about it logically, if the patient really is suffering from depression due to their appearance, then it very well may be more cost effective for the NHS to stump up 3k for a boob job rather that put the patient through a lengthy (and probably even more expensive) counselling program.

14. nero120

Soldato

Wont cost anything if you tell them to go to hell.

Wow, its amazing anyone manages to get out of bed in the morning, what with the major social and psychological difficulties that life in 21st century britain presents us with. Just how do we cope?

15. 4T5

Man of Honour

Although this at first seems wrong i am afraid i cannot be against it.
    I try to promote large norks as much as i can.
    Why should a small breasted woman put up with it, give her big norks i say.
    Also being an older dude i have been with many women who have had kids. Having kids is terrible for norks and a lot of women just don't feel right with norks like a roofers nail bag.
    I am happy to pay for large norks if that's what the women wants.
    Also i love the effect fake norks have on a women. It seems to give them massive confidence and they just love getting them out for the lads. :cool:

Having said the above fake norks don't compare to a good natural set. Naturals move and feel much better and the buttons on them seem to work better.

16. Rich_L

Capodecina

I think the fact that people are trivialising depression by comparing it to 'normal' insecurities shows a lot about the total lack of understanding exhibited so far. I suppose people with phobias should just get over it as well, everyone is a bit scared of some things. People with schizophrenia should just tell the voices to shut up....mental illnesses don't exist, it's just people being rubbish.

After all, what happened to these people in the past? Well usually they ended up killing themselves or being banged up in an asylum, far easier to lock them up rather than try to understand and treat them. Which was great as it kept the population down and who will miss a few headcases, they aren't any use to society anyway.

Could those saying how one surgery leads to another post some evidence about the recurrence of women treated in this manner requesting other cosmetic treatments?

17. VIRII

PermaBanned

I wonder whether the "problem" of small chested women has arisen at least in part as a result of the operation being possible. Now that there is a "cure" out there does this make people want it whereas before it was available people were more satisified with their lot? A case of wanting it because it exists rather than because it is actually needed?

The NHS has limited cash and finite resources. My personal preference is for money to be spent on life saving operations and not cosmetic modification to satisfy someones low self esteem although rectifying facial burns etc I can sympathise with.
    Somebody somewhere has to decide that breast implants are worth £3000 that could have been spent on cleaner hospitals, training, salaries, equipment, other surgery, drugs and so on.
    There was a case recently of a woman denied "life saving" drugs for breast cancer which went to the high court. So whilst this woman would have died without the treatment other women were getting bigger boobs.
    In perspective I prefer the life saving drugs myself.

18. anarchist

PermaBanned

Which applies to almost everything we want to buy in fact!

Exactly.

19. mrthingyx

Man of Honour

Depression is a very nasty thing: it does exist and can be pretty difficult to get out of without the support of a good GP, family and friends.

I can't comment on the particular case for reasons stated above by Rich_L (who are we to judge others in any instance if we are not given all the facts?) but it does seem that - over the past few years - more and more operations are being conducted to promote better mental health, i.e. self-esteem/self-confidence. What is this a symptom of? A more caring, holistic NHS? Or over-worked doctors who just want somebody out of their surgery so they can get onto the next patient (yes, believe it or not, they also exist), who subscribe antibiotics just to shut parents up, who misdiagnose people because they just don't have enough time to deal with them?

If my wife thought that her self-confidence would greatly benefit from having enlarged breasts then I would try and explain why I personally thought (a) they were fine and (b) she didn't need them. Failing that, I would PAY to have them done - I don't believe in using the NHS for such an operation. But that's my personal opinion... somebody else may feel perfectly justified in asking for it.

20. VIRII

PermaBanned

Could you post some evidence about women being locked up in asylums or killing themselves because they thought that their breasts were too small?