Bookshelf Style Speakers For Garage ~£100-£150

Soldato
Hi guys,

Hope this is the best section to post in.

Looking for bookshelf/monitor style speakers to install in a garage. I only have a few criteria that are musts; must be Bluetooth and must have a cable that I can easily replace for a longer run.

Just looking for abit of stereo speakers to pop up in the garage, I know for that price they aren't going to be amazing sound quality so just the best I can get really. I don't want to mess about having to get amps and extras, just want some speakers with built in Bluetooth so I can go in, connect my phone and away I go with one plug. I want to be able to replace the cable as I'm not sure how long it'll need to be but I'm sure most are quite short. Some I have looked at use their own style cable which doesn't look easily to replace. I want them mounted high up, so easy mounting would be a bonus but obviously I can just get speaker brackets.

I've looked at JBL Control 1, some of the Bluetooth Edifiers, the Mackies etc.

Suggest away!

Man of Honour
Unless heated, garages are not kind places long-term for anything made of untreated MDF or chipboard designed for indoor use, so whilst the Edifiers would be the first choice from your list, I would be concerned about just quickly the cabinets and vinyl wrap finishes might degrade. I think a speaker or pair with plastic cabinets is a safer bet.

I've had a Philips CD/radio boombox-type thing for use as a site radio for about 10 years. It lives in the garage when not in use for work. The display has gone iffy, but other than that it works just fine.

If there was an active version of the JBL Control 1s you'd be sorted. Thing is, they're passive so you need an amp and stuff. Have you thought about maybe a Bluetooth soundbar?

Your (power?) cable issue is going to be solved with an extension lead. If you need something more streamlined than the typical 3-pin plug and socket arrangement, you could chop off the plug and fit male and female kettle lead-type connections instead.

Soldato
OP
I was concerned about the materials that would be able to withstand being out there, so I'm sure you're right and I should stay away from wooden units.

I did think that there was a problem with the JBLs, forgot that it was passive. I did think about an amp but just thought it's another thing to require power and to find somewhere to wire up. Don't get me wrong, not end of the world, as I've also seen loads mentioned about the Wharfedale Diamonds. I may consider it if I do end up with better speakers for the same price, but I doubt it when having to buy a dedicated amp as well.

Should have also expanded, my concern isn't about the power cable, more about the speaker cable. As I want the speakers each side of the garage, I was concerned those using a special cable wouldn't be long enough, rather than just standard speaker cable.

But thanks for the advice.

Man of Honour
I did think about an amp but just thought it's another thing to require power and to find somewhere to wire up.

If you buy active speakers, then at this price point it's very likely that one speaker will have an amp built in that powers both. So you'll need ONE power socket and ONE speaker wire

If you buy passive speakers, they don't need power. That's why they're called passive. They just need speaker wire connections. It's the amp that needs power, and again, that's just ONE power connection.

So, active speakers or passive speakers + amp, you'll need just ONE power connection with either solution.

I've also seen loads mentioned about the Wharfedale Diamonds. I may consider it if I do end up with better speakers for the same price, but I doubt it when having to buy a dedicated amp as well.
Diamonds are fine speakers, but remember that the range is very large and has been running for a long time. The original diamonds launched by in the 1980s. Also, Diamonds come in different sizes, and although still good, the smaller Diamonds are a little bass-limited compared to their larger siblings. The low-priced Diamonds fall in to this category, but the paper spec still suggests they go a bit deeper than JBL Control 1 and Q Acoustic 3020.

Personally, I'd stay focussed on the fact that this is a garage and the system in there is for background music. I'd buy some second-hand gear. A small DAB/CD main unit such as an old Denon RCD-M35 ~ M39 (various models), or a Yamaha or Onkyo equivalent for around £50. I'd couple that with some s/h bass reflex ported speakers with a decent sized bass driver in each. There are plenty of Mission speakers that fit the bill ranging in price from £30 to £60 for something in reasonable condition. There's other brands too, Mordaunt Short, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio etc. If dampness is a consideration, whip the speaker drivers and crossovers out and give the inside of the cabinet a light coat of damp seal spray. Make sure they dry thoroughly before reassembly. Finish off with adding a bluetooth receiver (so check the Dab/CD micro has a line input).

The point here is that it's a garage rather than the lounge. Personally I wouldn't put brand new Hi-Fi gear in to a garage. Buy used. Get something with a higher spec for less than new. Don't worry so much about it getting dusty and strewn with cobwebs. Chuck on the tunes and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom