Boomerang rentals possibly compromised

Soldato
Well that's interesting. I had a call last Monday saying that my card had possibly been compromised and they would send me a new one. Someone had tried to top up a vodaphone mobile but they rejected the transaction. Its odd though as I had just received my new card and only used it once. The card on my Boomerang account was my old one that is just about to expire.

Do you think they used the old unexpired one?

Soldato
Someone's been storing/transmitting card details in plain text. Hopefully they go bust and get plenty of media coverage in the process.

Caporegime
I rang the bank and they have made a note about possible comprise and/or fraudulent transactions but as there have been none, they said it wasn't worth the inconvenience of getting a new card sent out. Most bizarre.

Soldato
I rang the bank and they have made a note about possible comprise and/or fraudulent transactions but as there have been none, they said it wasn't worth the inconvenience of getting a new card sent out. Most bizarre.

It's pretty obvious that someone has got a complete dump of all customer details and cards. I would just cut it up and tell the bank you lost it.

Soldato
Nothing has came out of mine as of yet but will keep an eye out so cheers for the heads up.

To be honest I know my card details by memory so for a lot of services I only put them in when it's needed then delete them. Although CCs are covered pretty well for fraud but I like doing it anyway. Takes about 4-5 seconds to input the card details each time.

Soldato
Ironically Boomerangs rental service has made me realise I have lost most of my interest in video games as a hobby by trying more variety than I usually would - so the service is working against them for me.

Still, 2015 may pull me back - I say 2015 - I mean Bloodborne.

But even my rentals will be selective from now on. So only games that I'm pretty sure will be good.

Soldato
Ironically Boomerangs rental service has made me realise I have lost most of my interest in video games as a hobby by trying more variety than I usually would - so the service is working against them for me.

Still, 2015 may pull me back - I say 2015 - I mean Bloodborne.

But even my rentals will be selective from now on. So only games that I'm pretty sure will be good.

If you're only renting select games you may as well think about buying them mate.

You can always make some money back by selling them once you're done. Think about how much you'll pay in rental fees over months of dry periods or having one super long RPG :).

Associate
I pay £15.99 per month for two games at a time but have found myself buying nearly every game I like the look of :(

I try and use the rule that if it is single player only it is a rental otherwise I decide whether to buy.

But I dont stick to that reasoning :)

Caporegime
Changed my card as a matter of precaution. It was tattered anyway and due for change at the end of the year. I can't remember if it was on that card I used Boomerang but ordering a new card was quicker anyway. This happened to me with Play before they went bust, never used them again.

Associate
Update from Boomerang...

UPDATE: We can reassure users that we are continuing with our investigations. The security of your experience with Boomerang Rentals is extremely important to us and we are examining the detail behind this weekend’s report as a matter of urgency. As a precaution, our service will be limited for a time whilst we conduct continued investigations and work towards resuming a normal service as soon as possible. We fully appreciate your patience in this matter.

Soldato
Funny how security becomes important when their business is going down the toilet. Zero sympathy from me. Being taken down by a determined hacker is one thing....exposing all your customers personal and card details is utter incompetence, I hope there are some data protections laws they have fallen foul of.

Back
Top Bottom