Boon question about DDR4 RAM and speed

Associate
Hi,

Is all DDR4 the same base speed and the various speeds we see (2400, 2800, 3200, 3600 etc) just overclocks to the basic RAM speed itself?

Or are the various speeds we see listed the real "true" (ie non-overclocked) speed of the RAM chips?

All the best,

Moley

Soldato
I think they are all overclocked, binned from which batches can do whichever speeds, hopefully another member can verify but this is what I've always believed.

Soldato
Thats a good question, i'M not totally sure on the "base speed" of a ddr4 chip but all i know is a sky/kabylake processor is officially rated for 2400mhz ddr4 frequency's and anything over this is an overclock. I'd lime to know though so i'll find out.

Soldato
Thats a good question, i'M not totally sure on the "base speed" of a ddr4 chip but all i know is a sky/kabylake processor is officially rated for 2400mhz ddr4 frequency's and anything over this is an overclock. I'd lime to know though so i'll find out.

All DDR4 consumer kits on the market currently are either 2133 or 2400 spec as per JEDEC white paper

Back
Top Bottom