Boring tax question (purchasing a new car)

Man of Honour
Yes you can tax it online immediately if you have the V5.

But there is a slightly bigger issue you need to consider. AskMID shows it as not insured. That means the seller can't legally take you for a test drive and if your own insurance covers other vehicles third party then the policy sometimes specifies that the car must already have its own insurance. So you may not be able to test drive it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes you can tax it online immediately if you have the V5.

But there is a slightly bigger issue you need to consider. AskMID shows it as not insured. That means the seller can't legally take you for a test drive and if your own insurance covers other vehicles third party then the policy sometimes specifies that the car must already have its own insurance. So you may not be able to test drive it.

That's fine i'll be insuring it the same day i go to visit the car.

Associate
yeah i'd give that one a miss.

tax isn't transferable from one owner to the next these days, so you'll always need to tax a car as soon as you buy it.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Yeah definitely dont go near that

A note for any other purchases though, tax never follows with a sale, so you'll always need to tax it straight away when you buy a car.

Man of Honour
Good spot about the MOT mileage drop.

OP I would recommend getting a free app such as Vehicle Smart. You can use them to check MOT history such as mileage each year, failures and advisories. They help when assessing how qeel or poorly the car has been maintained. Plus the mileage drop

Soldato
I had a minor tax issue when I bought a 2nd hand car a few months ago. The seller had sorn'd it on the thursday, we bought it on the Sunday, the online tax portal won't allow you to buy tax if it's been sorn'd in the last 5 days. We couldn't tax it until the Monday morning in the post office.

Soldato
Sometimes typos or misreading by the tester - but in that case there would be just 1 odd value and it's usually quite obvious that it's a mistake. In this case you can see by the series of past readings that it's not a mistake.
Imported cars can also have odd looking numbers sometimes when their mileage reads in KM. Some testers will convert from KM to miles, some log it in KM and some just log the KM value as miles.
Other than that, changing the clocks on the dashboard will change the mileage shown. There's probably other devious ways to change it also.

Soldato
I wouldn't buy that!

Current MOT showed 79k miles.
Previous MOT had 160k miles

I'd very much doubt there's any foul play there. I would bet the mot tester put 79k rather than 179k - which would make more sense.

Another reason to always check your mot sheet after it's been tested as a typo like that could cause all sorts of problems.

Associate
I'd very much doubt there's any foul play there. I would bet the mot tester put 79k rather than 179k - which would make more sense.

Another reason to always check your mot sheet after it's been tested as a typo like that could cause all sorts of problems.

They are advertising it at 79k ‘warranted’ miles though. If it was just an MOT mistake then the seller would list it as 179k miles.

Back
Top Bottom