• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Both RX Vega 64 & 56 Beat GTX 1080 Ti in Forza 7 DX12 benchmarks

Soldato
Those Vega features will hardly get used though, if at all, just like Vulkan (when it was under them as Mantle), TressFx, True Audio etc... etc...., no one will bother with their features, as they hardly have a market share, whats the point in the devs using them, if only a couple of people can make use of them, they need to get a market first, before they start pushing all these features, said it time and time again, as without a market, they're just ******* in the wind.

The point is "Console" If you can easy port a game to and from one Platform that reduces time and therefore Development cost! I.e Forza 7 from Xbox to PC would have been easy.

Soldato
Yeah, but when they are ported, they are done for Nvidia.

Consoles = AMD, PC = Nvidia.

source?

AFAIK half the work is allready done for AMD because of the consoles. Making less time and effort for devs to port and optimise their engine for AMD hardware. Taking more time for nvidia hardware. And if its a DX12 game like Forza which are slowly starting come more often then its going to be even easier

Soldato
That explains NVidia out the door working Forza 7 doesn't it lol come on mate
Why else was Amd performance rock solid day one.
Because the work has already been done when developing the game. Nvidia need more time to correct drivers.

The last few releases do look good on AMD tbh but it's only a start. lets see how this whole Vega thing plays out. Things are looking up for Vega and we are yet to see it's main features used. I think even though fine wine is a thing the 1080ti and Titans will not be topped this gen. Vega needs a price reduction atm to look good even with the latest releases.

Soldato
The last few releases do look good on AMD tbh but it's only a start. lets see how this whole Vega thing plays out. Things are looking up for Vega and we are yet to see it's main features used. I think even though fine wine is a thing the 1080ti and Titans will not be topped this gen. Vega needs a price reduction atm to look good even with the latest releases.

Price is the biggest issue atm not just for AMD either.

Associate
Yeah, but when they are ported, they are done for Nvidia.

Consoles = AMD, PC = Nvidia.
Not really, the biggest difference is when porting, the devs want to spend the minimal amount of time on the PC version and Nvidia provides ready made libraries for devs to just use for the PC stuff which is why AMD set out GPU open, which is why PC versions have poor performance for the visual effects, devs just want to get it out the market to appease the crowd and call it a day. AMD needs to push for devs to actually use libraries that benefit their cards more.

There are outliers and the only one remains in recent times is Doom, but lets be honest, the devs really wanted high fidelity at 60 FPS on consoles and that work translated itself into the PC version, much like Forza 7.

Caporegime
Took em a couple of days to get a better driver out, wow!, and then normal service got resumed.

We all know Vega' features wont get used when the PC is Nvidia, they need to get back to toe to toe on share, or bettering them, before they can push their stuff, as is a dev really gona bother with a feature, that only a few people can make use of on the PC ?, of course not, as i said before, we saw it with Vulkan, when that was under them, piece of **** to do, one bloke, couple of hrs, yet no one was interested, so what hope have they with other features!.

True Audio, how many games is that in ?, only Thief i know of, and only as background sound or something, TressFx ?, couple of Tomb Raiders and the other odd one or two games, Dx12, which they are best at, only being patched in laters to the odd Dx11 game, all features only AMD can do, apart from Dx12, which Nvidia can also do, but not as well, as they are best at Dx11, and what have they all got in common, yup, not used, hardly used.

Would we really still be getting the odd Dx11 game getting patched to 12 laters, if Nvidia could do Dx12 as well as AMD, and for as long ?, of course not.

Vulkan, now that Nvidia are also onboard after AMD got rid, the games are a coming, devs interested in it now, funny that ey. :p

Even tessellation never got used until Nvidia added it to their cards, all them years AMD had a tessellator on their cards unused.

Associate
that only a few people can make use of on the PC ?

This is the entirety of the PC playerbase, the PC playerbase IS THE FEW, why cant people get this into their heads first, devs don't develop games for the PC at all, Nvidia or AMD, do you even know what the best selling game of 2016 on PC was.

Soldato
Took em a couple of days to get a better driver out, wow!, and then normal service got resumed.

We all know Vega' features wont get used when the PC is Nvidia, they need to get back to toe to toe on share, or bettering them, before they can push their stuff, as is a dev really gona bother with a feature, that only a few people can make use of on the PC ?, of course not, as i said before, we saw it with Vulkan, when that was under them, piece of **** to do, one bloke, couple of hrs, yet no one was interested, so what hope have they with other features!.

True Audio, how many games is that in ?, only Thief i know of, and only as background sound or something, TressFx ?, couple of Tomb Raiders and the other odd one or two games, Dx12, which they are best at, only being patched in laters to the odd Dx11 game, all features only AMD can do, apart from Dx12, which Nvidia can also do, but not as well, as they are best at Dx11, and what have they all got in common, yup, not used, hardly used.

Would we really still be getting the odd Dx11 game getting patched to 12 laters, if Nvidia could do Dx12 as well as AMD, and for as long ?, of course not.

Vulkan, now that Nvidia are also onboard after AMD got rid, the games are a coming, devs interested in it now, funny that ey. :p

Amd own the market :p console run the show, console optimisation, fits perfectly with AMD on the desktop.
I agree True audio was a disaster but the reason was simple it was too much work = time and money for games to support for only Amd.
Just like Physx now when was the last game.
Exclusive features anyway I always want to fail.
I all for open source.

Permabanned
Well MS's DX (any version) vs open source OpenGL games and we know what got in more games and even then Nvidia were better with OpenGL support drivers.

Even OpenAL (Sound) died AFAIK, probably down to MS and the soundstack revamp in later OS's.

Soldato
Well MS's DX (any version) vs open source OpenGL games and we know what got in more games and even then Nvidia were better with OpenGL support drivers.

Even OpenAL (Sound) died AFAIK, probably down to MS and the soundstack revamp in later OS's.

OpenGl was just bad though vs DirectX. Least Vulkan has proven much better.

Caporegime
Amd own the market :p console run the show, console optimisation, fits perfectly with AMD on the desktop.
I agree True audio was a disaster but the reason was simple it was too much work = time and money for games to support for only Amd.
Just like Physx now when was the last game.
Exclusive features anyway I always want to fail.
I all for open source.

Open Source FTW! :D

Permabanned
Lesson is buy a decent psu. I would happily try Vega in my old Corsair tx750 which at the time was a decent psu (6 years old around now). I can push my 290 to way above what Vega requires at stock with 1.25v and it still eats it all these years later. Wouldn't touch most corsairs these days but at the time they made some great psu's. Any how Vega is a joke power wise but when i up the voltage to push hard on my 290 i am far above what Vega stock requires. Add into the mix my old I7 920 @4ghz eats power as well it goes to show that a decent choice in power supply is a must. Single cards like Vega should not be doing this though and this is mainly posted for a laugh.

Lesson? People should always be buying high quality psu, The issue mentioned has more to do with a single gpu card being rated as requiring a 1000 watt PSU. There seems to be a wide variance in the requirements with Vega, I was assured by people here and people on the phone with OCUK that a good quality 850 watt psu would be more than enough so I bought a HX850i Platinum psu but it wasn't enough, Plenty of people have used 850's and even 750's without issue but plenty can't. That also ties in with rumours of board partners being unable to find a stable overclock for non reference models, It's the variance between chips, I think it's a C0 revision issue more than anything, It'll be interesting to see whether AMD have supplied board partners with C0 or C1 chips. But I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to give out all the C0 chips they couldn't use in the reference air cooled Vega's to the board partners and they said sod that you're taking the mickey, we're not going to bother seeing as you're trying to palm us off with the dud's. And that brings us to today where I still can't buy a non reference Vega card, Mid October!.

Last edited:
Soldato
If this is true man then why don't AMD dominate more on the desktop?? Tbf it's probably 9/10 that they don't!! I think this is a fallacy, more to it than meets the eye for sure.

Xbox has only recently made the full switch to Windows and using DirectX 12. Xbox X is the first true Windows console/desktop mini PC.

Before Xbox was running on a modified DirectX and OpenGL.
The time now couldn't be better for AMD to start getting games out the door day one fully optimised.

Soldato
Guys, what would you choose? 1080Ti or Vega 64 (both the same price) or Vega 56 or 1080 (again both the same price)
Depends if you have a freesync monitor or not, but there's no denying it, at today's prices vega is too expensive for the performance it gives.
I would say £400 for the 56 and £480 for the 64 would be about the most they should be

Back
Top Bottom