Bought a collection of parts that once resembled a Japanese 400cc

Man of Honour
OP
The new one that arrived Saturday from Tayna fits perfectly, it's just another thirty quid I hadn't budgeted for.

Slightly annoyed with myself this week. I have been throwing a bike cover over the FZR to keep it dry, but the other day I must have just forgotten and it's been raining like mad. The fuel tank and carbs are well wrapped, but the CDI and main relay have been completely exposed.
Tried to start the bike to check the new battery yesterday and it wasn't even attempting to fire. Popped off the CDI and about 100ml of rainwater came out of it :rolleyes: Took the main relay off and that was similarly waterlogged.

Both are drained and drying out in the airing cupboard, so I'll see if they actually work when they are fully dried out. If not, they run at about £30 each second hand. Not the end of the world, but still a waste of cas - and completely self inflicted.

Man of Honour
OP
I need a bit of a tidy up in the work area!

But... CDI and main relay dried out, and (assuming DailyMotion feels like playing it):

Rough as old boots, but at least it's not fried. Carbs off for a full clean next as it's intermittently running on three.

Man of Honour
OP
Just jump on and ride it. It's basically done :D
Exactly what I was thinking :D

Couple of bits done in between weekend showers:

Everything is taking longer than it should while I'm recovering from a broken finger (7 weeks after surgery):

FZR12.jpg

First just a nice pic of the R6 calipers in place. They look fantastic.

FZR13.jpg

Thanks to my stupid finger, I was unable to stop myself from falling when I lost balance doing something the other day. I came crashing to ground and in the process obliterated my tail light.
I figured that since I don't actually have a tail panel, and I love twin lights, to go with something different to replace it:

FZR14.jpg

Phwoarrrr etc:

FZR15.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Little bit more done this weekend.

• Managed to get the start button working together with the kill switch, and all that works nicely - so now the old handlebar controls are removed and everything is done on the new ones
  • Wrapped a bit more of the loom up
  • Moved the clip ons to the new position below the top yoke. They no longer touch the fairing or the fairing bracket, but the master cylinder does foul the fairing, so I'll need to make a new bracket for that
  • Noticed that the brake lines foul the fairing stay - two options here are to chop a bit out of the fairing stay, or look at some shorter brake lines, as I think these only foul because they are R6 ones which are too long really so they bulge out
  • Fitted rear brake line cable clip
  • Painted the tank basecoat in white
  • Fitted a horn
  • Fitted new clocks - the ones that came with the bike were badly chopped about and none of the tell tales worked, so I have fitted a universal speedo/tacho on a new backing plate. It powers up and lights up, neutral telltale works, indicator telltales work, tacho works. Just need to tidy up the backing plate and hook up the speedo sensor.

Pics to follow :)

Soldato
Pics to follow :)
Any updates on this :)

Brings back memories of when I was going buy a brand New FZR600 back in 1989 which looked very much like this FZR400..
But I ended up buying a brand-new GPX600r in the end which Cost £3120 if I remember right.

I had to sell my GPX600r as I got caught for speed dangerous :o on it about 3 weeks after I bought it and couldn't get insured afterwards.:mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom