Bought a new bike! 2015 Trek Marlin 6 29er

Soldato
As title!

I bought the below bike late last week and had a really good run out today, why I haven't done this sooner I don't know, my bike gave way again last week so I decided to replace it rather than repair it this time!

For what I'm using it for its perfect, and also opens new doors too, looking forward to getting out on this bike again!

Thanks for looking, any tips then I'm all ears :)

Thanks for looking.

Direct Link: http://imageshack.com/a/img540/5821/c7b96f.jpg

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Features
Ride the fastest wheel that fits with Smart Wheel Size
Ride-tuned aluminium frame is XC light, mountain tough
Extended size range gives you a better fit for a better ride
Backed by Trek's limited lifetime warranty
Frameset
Frame Alpha Silver Aluminium w/semi-integrated head tube, rack & mudguard mounts, G2 Geometry on 29ers
Front suspension SR Suntour XCT w/coil spring, preload, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset on 29ers, 100mm travel (14.5": 80mm travel)
Wheels
Wheels Formula DC20 alloy front hub, Formula DC22 alloy rear hub, Bontrager AT-550 36-hole rims
Tyres Bontrager XR1, 29x2.20" front, 29x2.00" rear (Bontrager XR2, 27.5x2.20")
Drivetrain
Shifters Shimano Altus M310, 8 speed
Front derailleur Shimano Altus
Rear derailleur Shimano Altus M280
Crank Shimano M131, 42/34/24
Bottom bracket Sealed Cartridge
Cassette Shimano HG31 11-34, 8 speed
Pedals Wellgo nylon platform
Components
Saddle Bontrager Evoke 1
Seatpost Bontrager SSR, 2-bolt head, 27.2mm, 12mm offset
Handlebar Bontrager Riser, 25.4mm, 15mm rise
Stem Bontrager Approved, 25.4mm, 15 degree
Grips Bontrager Satellite Plus
Headset 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
Brakeset Tektro M290 hydraulic disc brakes

Upgrades from Marlin 5
100mm fork
24-speed drivetrain
Tektro M290 hydraulic disc brakes

Last edited:
Soldato

Can... open...worms....everywhere..

This explains quite well, http://www.bike198.com/26-vs-29-mountain-bike-debate/

But to summarise:

What does a 29er do well?
◾Rolls over rocks and roots easier due to the wider circumference.
◾More distance covered per pedal revolution, easier cruising but more effort to get going.
◾Higher air volume in tires smooth out ride.

What are the drawbacks of a 29er?
◾Large size equals larger weight.
◾Harder to manoeuvre in tight, twisty single track.
◾Longer travel (5.5″ and higher) 29ers feel REALLY big.
◾Sizing and geometry issues with shorter riders.
◾Larger radius needs stiff wheel build and fork to prevent deflection.

Soldato
In my opinion the pro's of a 29er far outweigh the cons, geometry feels so dialled on newer bikes, harder to manoeuvre in tight twisty singletrack should make sense on paper but in reality its nonsense, at Coed-y-Brenin, Penmachno and Brechfa I had a MUCH better time on 29" wheels....but then it could have just been the change of bike I suppose :)

I'm happy on either size wheel though as long as I'm riding, and I'll always stick to 26 on full suss (just personally preference), HT though all future bikes will be 29 for me.

Enjoy it OP, it looks like a good base to build on.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Its a fantastic bike, far far farrrr better than my last bike.

The wheels seem to roll a lot smoother and i pick up speed a hell of a lot faster with less effort.

The notice is dramatic. I use it for my commuting and already in knocking off 2-3 mins on all my routes with the same effort, when i really give it some im knocking a good 5 mins off. This bike does have more gears though which could contribute to that.

All in all the difference is pretty dramatic. Its my first proper bike so i guess there was always going to be a fairly big difference.

Extremely happy :)

Soldato
29 is just a fad as 27.5 is the new in size. I have owned 29 and 26 and prefer 26 for trails and XC. 29 was slightly better on the flat as faster rolling speeds but was just too cumbersome in the corners on trails. I think it just comes down to personal preference. I gave my 29er to a mate who loves it and does the same trails and riding as me.

Soldato
Its a fantastic bike, far far farrrr better than my last bike.

The wheels seem to roll a lot smoother and i pick up speed a hell of a lot faster with less effort.

The notice is dramatic. I use it for my commuting and already in knocking off 2-3 mins on all my routes with the same effort, when i really give it some im knocking a good 5 mins off. This bike does have more gears though which could contribute to that.

All in all the difference is pretty dramatic. Its my first proper bike so i guess there was always going to be a fairly big difference.

Extremely happy :)

you'd shave 2 hours of your commute if you used a road bike ;) not saying you're one those people who buy a full blown 29er for commuting on road but the number of people I see on those bikes is crazy and it makes me laugh.. for a second or two while I overtake them while putting 80% less effort into my pedals.. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
you'd shave 2 hours of your commute if you used a road bike ;) not saying you're one those people who buy a full blown 29er for commuting on road but the number of people I see on those bikes is crazy and it makes me laugh.. for a second or two while I overtake them while putting 80% less effort into my pedals.. ;)

Agreed, but not everyone can have 1 bike for every task.

OP has already mentioned that he's looking into doing some off-roading, so here's a couple of tips.

Get some good shoes, which grip well with your pedals. It's hard to tell from that picture if your pedals are OK, or cheap plastic junk. If they're the latter, ditch them and get some Superstar Nano's. (about £40)

Depending on where you're off-roading, you may want to get a better tyre, or 2. Tyres don't have to match, but get a grippier tyre, something like a Nobby Nic for the front wheel at least. You can have a less grippy tyre on the back, because a back-end sliding around isn't too big a problem, you can correct it etc. If your front end slides you usually end up with a faceful of dirt. :)

Soldato
OP
Thank you all very much, I'm tempted to still buy a road bike, but I just don't like them, I feel the wheels are too narrow. I just don't think I'd feel comfortable making me pretty unsafe, within mine I feel perfectly comfortable.

Plus I don't think they'd survive the potholes around here, sometimes unavoidable.

I'm noticing huge differences in this bike, it's incredible!

Very very pleased!

Soldato
Thank you all very much, I'm tempted to still buy a road bike, but I just don't like them, I feel the wheels are too narrow. I just don't think I'd feel comfortable making me pretty unsafe, within mine I feel perfectly comfortable.

Plus I don't think they'd survive the potholes around here, sometimes unavoidable.

I'm noticing huge differences in this bike, it's incredible!

Very very pleased!

you're very wrong here - in a nice way.

I commute on a road bike, full carbon etc

and I hit big potholes everyday! and it's fine, grip wise it is great too.. slick tyres in hot summer day just STICKS to the road.

you'd feel comfortable I'm sure about that.. but there's that problem where people see "narrow" tyres and think "omg I'll fall over as soon as I move.. cycle for 100miles and you'll soon realize just how wrong you were and how good road bikes are.. for the road lol.

Soldato
OP
I want a road bike but just to try out, just started the cycle scheme at work too so i could test ride one or two and buy one.. But ive got a bike now and storage is my issue. Maybe in a year or two ill consider it but for now i cant really complain!

Are road bikes any good in the wet? As wer heading that way now and im warey of that :)

Associate
29 is just a fad as 27.5 is the new in size. I have owned 29 and 26 and prefer 26 for trails and XC. 29 was slightly better on the flat as faster rolling speeds but was just too cumbersome in the corners on trails. I think it just comes down to personal preference. I gave my 29er to a mate who loves it and does the same trails and riding as me.

I'm that mate. I have ridden 26, 29 and 27.5 and prefer 29 for xc but will get a 27.5 for the more jumpy stuff. I can have no problem keeping up with larger wheel sets.

Back
Top Bottom