Bought some Corsair ML fans, fan splitter questions

Soldato
Got 6 new fans on the way and it says it's best to connect them with PWM. So I'm pretty sure straight away I need a PWM splitter because 3 of my current fans are connected by Molex and I don't know if I have any PWM splitters laying around. So this one below should be alright?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-cable-splitter-4-fan-pwm-extended-wc-9cq-ek.html

Second question is to confirm where I should plug it in. Here is a photo of my manual - http://imgur.com/7vTZqy6

I'll plug 1 fan straight into the cpu header but the 4 other fans, I'll be running 5 fans btw, I should be able to plug the splitter into the pwr_fan header right? or should I use a sys_fan header?

Soldato
That splitter gets its power from a molex peripheral connector. The pwm Signal should ideally be from the CPU fan header, or at least a valid header with a working pwm Signal.

Soldato
OP
Ahh I see, so that's what that other header is for on the splitter, not the Molex the other one. So that one goes on the CPU and 4 fans into that. That'll leave me with one 1 fan left over though.

Soldato
OP
Got my fans today but not ordered any splitters yet. I plugged my replacement 120mm fan for my rad into sys_fan 1 and I can control it with SpeedFan, otherwise it's automatically controlled by my motherboard. So it works.

Associate
Got 6 new fans on the way and it says it's best to connect them with PWM. So I'm pretty sure straight away I need a PWM splitter because 3 of my current fans are connected by Molex and I don't know if I have any PWM splitters laying around. So this one below should be alright?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-cable-splitter-4-fan-pwm-extended-wc-9cq-ek.html

Second question is to confirm where I should plug it in. Here is a photo of my manual - http://imgur.com/7vTZqy6

I'll plug 1 fan straight into the cpu header but the 4 other fans, I'll be running 5 fans btw, I should be able to plug the splitter into the pwr_fan header right? or should I use a sys_fan header?
How you finding them? I switched from x6 Corsair SP 120s to the ML Series and i am far from impressed. Had many replacements because of weird static noises which is strange because no motors & anything over 1000rpm is sooooo loud.

Man of Honour
How you finding them? I switched from x6 Corsair SP 120s to the ML Series and i am far from impressed. Had many replacements because of weird static noises which is strange because no motors & anything over 1000rpm is sooooo loud.

I run 7 ML Pros' from a pwm hub and experience no weird noises ?

Run at 500 rpm idle for total silence, ramping up to 1200 rpm at load ( still acceptable noise levels, just air sound )

If you run them at max 2000rpm, then they are loud !!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Only got one 120mm Corsair ML fan in atm, of the 2 possible fan readings that is this fan it's either running at 1800 rpm or 900. The noise coming from my case though I find acceptable.

I have a 140 in sys_fan 1 and there is a sys_fan 1 reading in HWMon, the Corsair ML fan is in sys_fan2 but there is no sys_fan 2 in HWMon but there is FANIN1. So I don't know which is which. When I put a fan to 2400RPM yesterday I could hear whatever fan it was even with my headphones on.

Associate
I run 7 ML Pros' from a pwm hub and experience no weird noises ?

Run at 500 rpm idle for total silence, ramping up to 1200 rpm at load ( still acceptable noise levels, just air sound )

If you run them at max 2000rpm, then they are loud !!

Only got one 120mm Corsair ML fan in atm, of the 2 possible fan readings that is this fan it's either running at 1800 rpm or 900. The noise coming from my case though I find acceptable.

I have a 140 in sys_fan 1 and there is a sys_fan 1 reading in HWMon, the Corsair ML fan is in sys_fan2 but there is no sys_fan 2 in HWMon but there is FANIN1. So I don't know which is which. When I put a fan to 2400RPM yesterday I could hear whatever fan it was even with my headphones on.

Must just be me then, i think going from the Corsair SP Quiet Series is why i now think everything sounds load.

Back
Top Bottom