Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Soldato
OP
I've tried a few more, Woodford Reserve, very good stuff, got it in Tesco on offer for about £25.

Also tried Jack Daniel's - Gentleman Jack, actually not a bad one either I was hesitant about buying a bottle but it also was on offer. Actually pretty impressed by this one and prefer it to it's more expensive cousin, Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select, which is normally £45 a bottle.

Soldato
OP
I’m not suggesting the whiskey is crap, I’m saying that the ones listed can all be found in crap supermarkets with limited variety.

What do you want me to suggest? For around 20 quid I find things like penny packer or rebel yell to be great with coke... for an old fashioned or neat I like Woodford reserve, Elijah Craig or 1792.

Got some Basil Hayden’s on the way now for example. Amazon is a surprisingly but welcome good source for Bourbon.

I'm gonna go through this list, already had Woodford Reserve, it is one of the better ones I've tried.

I've ordered a bottle of Pennypacker, although I don't mix with coke, I'll see how it holds up straight. My brother also picked up a bottle of black feather from the states, which, apparently ain't that great but you can't easily buy it here so well see.

But thanks for the suggestions I will go through them.

Permabanned
Bourbon, Scotch, Tennessee whiskey, it's all good.

I prefer a nice Scotch but it's expensive, when you can pickup a bottle on Amazon for £16 quid, I honestly don't care which it is.

I've only ever bought one bottle of whiskey I never finished, Glenfarclas 105, strongish if you like that sort of thing but the taste was just foul.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yea I like scotch as well don't get me wrong, Old Pulteney, Glenlivet and Laphroaig, are some that come to mind.

Also love an Irish one called Connemara.

But, there are some dodgy single malt scotches, I can't remember the names, but relatively expensive (£30 ish) bottles and they have been horrible. I also really don't like (maybe controversially) Talisker.

Where as other than the really cheap ones, I've not hit a bad bottle of bourbon yet.

Soldato
OP
Well just been drinking the Pennypacker.

It's actually a really nice bourbon, if I was going to be critical, its a little bland, it's smooth, drinks really well, but there is just not much too it.

But that is being critical, overall its pretty good and perfectly fine to drink straight.

I think I might pick up a bottle of Rebel Yell next. They do a small batch which is only a couple of quid over the regular.

Soldato
OP
Ok tried the rebel yell, it's okay, but imo it's very similar to wild turkey or buffalo trace, which I can pick up in Tesco cheaper.

I'm not sure how quick I will get to some of the others they are like £35 bottles, to me, that is not regular drinking spending, and for special occasions only.

Soldato
Has Bourbon pricing increased recently due to these recent trade wars, I just noticed a bottle of Blanton's Gold I purchased for £54 2-3 months back has increased to £74 from the same place.

Can't type for toffee
Don
not too fussed with the standard Wild Turkey tbh , supermarket fare I really like jim beam for something that's always in the cupboard, double oak at less than 20 a bottle is cracking too.

Recently tried tin cup, that's a goto for me now.
My normal "expensive" super market bottle is woodford reserve.
Most recent tester bottle was Bulleit Rye, not tried it yet

Soldato
OP
Has Bourbon pricing increased recently due to these recent trade wars, I just noticed a bottle of Blanton's Gold I purchased for £54 2-3 months back has increased to £74 from the same place.

In reply to this, I generally just judge prices by what I see in Tesco.

Funnily enough, the first few weeks after the import tax thing was announced, they had some really great deals across the range, including Wild Turkey down to £15 (normally £23) and the Jim Beam Double Oak at £11!

But for the last week nothing has been on offer.

Knob Creek on Amazon is £25 at the moment, about the only good deal I could find.

Soldato
OP
I tried the 4 roses small batch, it's okay, but personally prefer some others at the same/slightly lower price bracket.

My 2 favourites so far are Woodford Reserve and believe it or not, Pennypacker.

Both very different, but Pennypacker although being basic, is also very easy to drink.

Soldato
OP
Tried one called Black Feather, been drinking it this week, came from America (as in my brother brought a bottle back), pretty good actually, it's a bourbon whiskey but not Kentucky Straight as such as I believe it's made in Texas.

Soldato
OP
Okay tried Elijah Craig small batch today.

Honestly not all that impressed. I appreciate it kicks in at 47% abv, but it's got a burn to it. Compared with Knob Creek at 50% which you think will get you initially, then kindly smoothens out quickly, this one keeps on punishing.

Don't get me wrong it's pretty good Kentucky Straight, certainly not cheap tasting, and it's got some good flavours going, it's just a bit overpowering.

I got it on offer, but for it's regular current price of approx £35, I can think of many others I would go for first, prefer drinking them, and save some cash on the side.

I have some more to try, but I've got through quite a few now, and to date, I think my favourites are Woodforde Reserve and Pennypacker.

Pennypacker is an odd one, because its really plain and simple, yet you can just drink it so easy.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Want to get myself a nice Bourbon for Christmas.
Previously enjoyed Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark but like trying new things.
Is Wild Turkey Rare Breed worth the price?
I go very much on reviews and general comments, but it seems a good one?

Man of Honour
Might not have the prestige of other brands but if you’re not bothered by that (I know some people are) you could try Jim Beam Black. I bought a litre in Geneva airport last week and it’s almost gone. Lovely stuff and good value. I had a Makers the other night after the black and I preferred the Jim Beam.

Back
Top Bottom