Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Soldato
Want to get myself a nice Bourbon for Christmas.
Previously enjoyed Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark but like trying new things.
Is Wild Turkey Rare Breed worth the price?
I go very much on reviews and general comments, but it seems a good one?

I have a bottle of Wild turkey 101, not sure how it compares but personally the 101 is nothing special, As above if you haven't tried Woodford Reserve, I would give that a go, not tried it for years now but I remember it being very smooth and easy to drink.

Soldato
OP
Woodford Reserve is solid. Tesco are (or were as of Sat) doing Jack Daniel's "Gentlemen Jack" for £20 a bottle which is a steal as it's normally £35.

Pennypacker is a good one for £25 from Amazon, very simple sour mash.

At the moment I'm drinking Wild Turkey/Gentleman Jack as they are both of very good offers at Tesco.

One thing I've found having now tried a ton of different bourbons is that the rarer more expensive ones are not necessarily better.

Soldato
OP
Added a few more to the list:

Evan Williams (regular) - absolute dog ****, avoid
Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage - hard to believe it comes from the same place, compared to how much better it is over the regular version, probably not the top tier of Bourbons I've tried, but worth a go, or a bottle if on offer
Eagle Rare - this is everything it's cracked up to be

Soldato
OP
Another one to add to the list of ones I have had, 1792 Small Batch Bourbon, expensive at around £35 a bottle normally, I got it on offer, for once a more expensive bottle that was actually really good.

I still, dont think its worth the extra, particularly when Woodforde Reserve has been on offer ofter the last few weeks from Tesco/Amazon at £20 a bottle, its a no brainer.

Also my early post from Jan was trying Eagle Rare at a pub, I did eventually get a bottle, and actually.... little overrated in my opinion, not worth the price tag. Infact most more expensive bottles Ive tried, other than the afore mentioned 1792 have been dissapointing.

EDIT, Oh I also tried "Tin Cup" american whiskey, although technically not a Bourbon, was basically Bourbon, the Mrs didnt like this one it was slightly harsher at first but I quite enjoyed it.

Soldato
Indeed the amazon £20 deal bottle of eagle rare I picked up, looking back - june2017, was well received as an alternative to Makers.

- just realised maybe the current Amazon bourbon deals are because the Americans are being tuned-up by the Chinese ?

Can't type for toffee
Don
haha :)

Jim Beam is deffo the one I buy most, easy to get very well priced for a decent drink too
the double is well worth picking up too great when costco have it for £18 a bottle with 2 nice glasses

Was annoyed when I missed the £15 off Jim beam single barrell, was wanting to try it as never have.
Ordered a bottle of four roses single barrell for £25 instead, not had this one before

Can't type for toffee
Don
White label all the way for me :)
Double for special purchases haha.

Yeah was amazon and a 15quid coupon
Have just took delivery of a bottle of four roses single barrel costing me 25 using the same voucher, score.

Soldato
Got a bottle of Jim Beam Double Oak which is nice.

I like it with a chunk of ice, I tend to drink all bourbons with ice.

Has anyone tired the Jim Beam Single Barrel, Amazon have it for £29.99, not sure if thats a good price, but it says it's on offer.

Back
Top Bottom