Boxing and hand / wrist injuries.

Associate
Sounds more like a form problem than anything wraps can deal with.
Are you getting some proper instruction? Even if you don't want to compete I'd reccomend getting someone who knows their stuff to critique your form, else you could end up doing yourself some serious damage.
Adding wrist curls and reverse curls into your weightlifting routine to try and strengthen the wrists would probably help ( I had a similar problem when I first started boxing coming from weightlifting a few years ago and this helped a lot)

I'm not sure where you've bin training Shroomz, but I've bin trained at a few boxing gyms, as well as kickboxing and MMA orientated sessions and they've all advocated handwraps. Most gyms over here tend to tape up the hands in more of a thai style for fights anyway, it's the best way as it protects all the bones in the hand from the most angles, it just takes too long to do at the start of every session.
I'm not too sure about the diagram of where you should be hitting either. Thats fine for a straight punch, but since the diagram relates to karate (which is pretty much all straight punches) hooks and uppercuts are going to connect differently.
Nobody has even ever mentioned the knuckle pushups to me before either as long as your hands are protected properly when hitting the bag I can't see why it would be an issue? More of a bareknuckle fighting thing I think, even with MMA gloves on I've never had a problem with knuckle strength.
Not trying to be a smart**** or anything by the way Shroomz, I've been doing this kind of thing for a while and what you're saying doesn't really make sense to me.

Also, it sounds stupid, but you mentioned you've done some weight training before, so I'll ask; are your gloves big enough? I used to get similar pains when using a pair of 10oz bag gloves that were way too small, decided to upgrade to a pair of 16oz gloves for bagwork and sparring and never had any trouble since.

Caporegime
To be honest I dont actually know, and it seems wrong to protect the hands without protecting the fingers. I've just been told that wrapping your fingers is more of a Thai thing and boxing gyms don't like it very much

why would you need to wrap your fingers?

you wrap your knuckles and your wrists, thats the only parts that need support/protection.

Associate
@Josh, no offence taken :)

I assumed that since RimBlock is hitting the bag for fitness rather than actually learning to fight - in which case I would also highly recommend instruction - he would most likely just be doing straight punches.

Push-ups on closed knuckles are a good way for a beginner to build some strength in the wrists as well as get used to how a straight punch feels.

Oh and I train here: http://www.amag.org.uk/ but I heard the knuckle thing in another club where I don't train anymore...

@Psycho Sonny, Josh107 said it up there, wrapping your fingers offers protection to the most bones from the widest angle.

Associate
OP
Thanks for this Josh.

Sounds more like a form problem than anything wraps can deal with.
Are you getting some proper instruction? Even if you don't want to compete I'd reccomend getting someone who knows their stuff to critique your form, else you could end up doing yourself some serious damage.

Yeah, this is a concern, especially as the person doing the training is a personal trainer at the gym rather than a dedicated boxing / kick boxing instructor. Added to that fact that a good boxer / kick boxer does not necessary make a good trainer and there could be some serious gaps. He does critique form, crosses coming around more like hooks than straight through but if he does the wraps, they tend to be done differently each time and sometimes differently for each hand. The response to me making a note of the discomfort is that 'it will go away as you get used to it'. My confidence is not so high :(.

Maybe I need to find someone who can provide a few 1-2-1 sessions to check form and make sure I am on the right track but I am not sure where to go to find a decent trainer who does 1-2-1. I will have a look around.

Adding wrist curls and reverse curls into your weightlifting routine to try and strengthen the wrists would probably help ( I had a similar problem when I first started boxing coming from weightlifting a few years ago and this helped a lot)

Good idea. I will get these in to my routine. I have noticed that since starting doing bag work my forearms have firmed up quite dramatically. Size has not increased as I am not eating for growth but density has for sure.

I'm not sure where you've bin training Shroomz, but I've bin trained at a few boxing gyms, as well as kickboxing and MMA orientated sessions and they've all advocated handwraps. Most gyms over here tend to tape up the hands in more of a thai style for fights anyway, it's the best way as it protects all the bones in the hand from the most angles, it just takes too long to do at the start of every session.

I think there is a bit of confusion here, although please correct me if I am wrong. I think Shroomz is talking about wrapping between fingers not being common at the gyms he has trained in rather than not wrapping hands at all.

Also, it sounds stupid, but you mentioned you've done some weight training before, so I'll ask; are your gloves big enough? I used to get similar pains when using a pair of 10oz bag gloves that were way too small, decided to upgrade to a pair of 16oz gloves for bagwork and sparring and never had any trouble since.

Not stupid at all. The gloves I have are bag gloves rather than boxing gloves and so are much lighter in their padding. With my finger tips to the end, the thumb hole is tight against the base of my thumb. The gloves are sized L/XL although I have no idea if these are Asian sizes as is often the case here (i.e. A t-shirt may be XL but I need to check if it is an Asian XL or Western XL as they seem to have two parallel sets of sizes :(). What is the best way to confirm if a set of gloves fit correctly. What should I look out for. As mentioned, my aches now tend to be more at the base of my thumb / pad under the thumb base and top of the wrist behind where the thumb joins the hand. i will have a chat with a doctor today to see if I can get referred for an x-ray to see if there is anything that can be done about the pain when bending the wrists back (i.e. doing normal pushups).

Psycho Sonny said:
why would you need to wrap your fingers?

you wrap your knuckles and your wrists, thats the only parts that need support/protection.

I think he means wrapping between the fingers rather than wrappin gthe fingers based on the link Shroomz posted.

Thanks for the continuing info and suggestions everyone.

RB

Associate
Thanks for this Josh.

Yeah, this is a concern, especially as the person doing the training is a personal trainer at the gym rather than a dedicated boxing / kick boxing instructor. Added to that fact that a good boxer / kick boxer does not necessary make a good trainer and there could be some serious gaps. He does critique form, crosses coming around more like hooks than straight through but if he does the wraps, they tend to be done differently each time and sometimes differently for each hand. The response to me making a note of the discomfort is that 'it will go away as you get used to it'. My confidence is not so high :(.

Maybe I need to find someone who can provide a few 1-2-1 sessions to check form and make sure I am on the right track but I am not sure where to go to find a decent trainer who does 1-2-1. I will have a look around.

RB

In that case I think you should join a good boxing/kickboxing or thai boxing club that has private lessons, it's pretty normal to be able to hire one of the trainers for private sessions extra cost.

Wraps should feel like a good pair of climbing shoes, tight but not uncomfortable and certainly not painful!

Associate
OP
In that case I think you should join a good boxing/kickboxing or thai boxing club that has private lessons, it's pretty normal to be able to hire one of the trainers for private sessions extra cost.

I better start looking then. Sure the wife will not be pleased since paying for a personal trainer. Luckily I went for the smallest 6 session package (+ 2 sessions free).

Wraps should feel like a good pair of climbing shoes, tight but not uncomfortable and certainly not painful!

Yep, the wraps are snug but not painful (yes I also have a pair of climbing shoes :)). What about boxing gloves ?

Cheers
RB

Soldato
What do you mean?

I ordered the wrist straps yeah, and will probably order from them again.

What i meant is they're overpriced via the website, elsewhere such as Creatine Store sells them at reasonable prices [supplements]. Phd Nutrition is a good company as well and you get a lot more for your money in the long run.

I use Maximuscle, but buying from their website is like throwing my money away tbh.

Soldato
What i meant is they're overpriced via the website, elsewhere such as Creatine Store sells them at reasonable prices [supplements]. Phd Nutrition is a good company as well and you get a lot more for your money in the long run.

I use Maximuscle, but buying from their website is like throwing my money away tbh.

Ah I only got the wrist straps from there, was going to check the other bits but nothing caught my eye, would rather get it from PhD as i heard they're pretty good.

Soldato
I got my punch bag put up in the garage at the weekend. My hands seem to be ok with a few sessions without gloves.

Anyone recommend some light gloves just in case I get a few too many breaks of the skin in the next few sessions?

Thanks

Soldato
I got my punch bag put up in the garage at the weekend. My hands seem to be ok with a few sessions without gloves.

Anyone recommend some light gloves just in case I get a few too many breaks of the skin in the next few sessions?

Thanks

Everlast do a decent set of light mitts for ~£10.

Check out weighted gloves though 14-22oz after training with those you'll be amazed at just how fast your hands can move :D

Soldato
You definitely want some gloves, if your hands are ok after a few sessions you aint hitting hard enough :D

Well the skin did break a bit but I dont find it a problem. Some of us have a higher pain threshold :p

On a serious note like the other guy said which ones would you recommend? Could you post a link to some or woudl you recommend going into a sports shop and trying some on?

Last edited:
Soldato
12oz Twins gloves. Proper leather and not too expensive really. I would not buy anything other than a good brand for the important stuff like gloves, shorts etc.

4 knuckles, 2 on each hand that are my main contact points heal then get shredded the next time I hit the bags. :D

It does not hurt, but it's a pain to keep them clean/free of infection all of the time. Thats with wraps and gloves.

Rimblock - Not done a weigh in update for a bit as it's been pretty on and off, but I weighed in this morning at 115, that represents 10kilos since being here. Would not be able to do it without the high intensity of the boxing stuff. And what's this 10 years ago excuse? Some people out here at 48 training, one of the UK ladies here is 40 and on her 18th fight :)

I don't run either BRBunny, and if I do it's few and far between!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
12oz Twins gloves. Proper leather and not too expensive really. I would not buy anything other than a good brand for the important stuff like gloves, shorts etc.

4 knuckles, 2 on each hand that are my main contact points heal then get shredded the next time I hit the bags. :D

It does not hurt, but it's a pain to keep them clean/free of infection all of the time. Thats with wraps and gloves.

Interesting. There is a place not too far from me I may take a trip down to at lunch time to try some on. They have Boon Sports, Fairtex and Twins although I am not sure what they have in stock.

Rimblock - Not done a weigh in update for a bit as it's been pretty on and off, but I weighed in this morning at 115, that represents 10kilos since being here. Would not be able to do it without the high intensity of the boxing stuff.

Well done and I know what you mean. Easy to put on but a git to get off. After having a break due to sickness I have taken to eating a better diet and trying to balance the protein and carbs rather than an ok diet but less food. At this stage it looks like I am gaining again but it may take a week or two for the fat burning to kick in after the 3 weeks out of the gym. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

And what's this 10 years ago excuse? Some people out here at 48 training, one of the UK ladies here is 40 and on her 18th fight :)

Nah, it is not about age, although that would have helped, it is about where I am in life. Now married with two kids and the main earner, I cannot just disappear for two + months for training in Thailand. I would end up broke, divorced (my wife knows Thailand and about all the pretty rent-a-girlfriends) and without a home to come back to. I just have to contend with having to train outside of working hours here in Singapore.

Cheers
RB

Soldato
We have a chap who pilots in Singapore for a living, he comes over to here on a cheap 100 dollar flight in his offtime and trains for a few days/week then goes back ;)

Know what you are saying about the other half and kids though!

Back
Top Bottom