Braiding a Super Flower PSU - minor problem

Soldato
originally posted this in the PSU section but it doesn't seem to see much action.....

so I have this Super Flower PSU which I plan to braid. but I've just removed the bulky manufacturers braiding round the atx connector to be met with the following (see image below) what the heck are these capacitors for? some sort of current smoothing? and how the hell do you braid those?!

I've looked at the pre braided cables available from Super Flower and I don't see any sign of these caps on those - so what gives?

Soldato
I can't answer what they're for exactly, but you won't be able to braid them... but would you even see them? What end are they? If they are the PSU end, you could just braid the others, leaving the capacitor ones untouched. Or why not just use extensions?

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately they are at the motherboard end and they seem to be on the cables bar the molex ones. Didn't wanna use extensions simply just to keep the cable clutter to a minimum, plus I fancied having a go at braiding!:p The internet seems to indicate they can just be removed without affecting the psu itself which makes sense as the pre braided ones you can buy don't appear to have them. Might fire a question off to them for confirmation though.

Soldato
OP
for anyone interested, just had a reply from SuperFlower;

The capacitors reduce ripple&noise even further. Even without the extra caps the LEadex operates at less than half of the ATX specified ripple. Short version: if you are going for the world record in overclocking you definately should use the extra caps because it might give you the edge. Otherwise you never will notice any difference

so they are going in the bin! :p

Soldato
OP
If you don't mind a bit of soldering, fit them to the back of the motherboard.
oh that's too much like hard work!

turns out superflower really really don't want you self braiding their cables. just looked more closely and not only is there capacitors on some of the cables there's also double wired cables eg plug 2 has 2 wires coming out of the motherboard plug that go to 2 separate points on the psu plug!! :mad:
starting to think I may just have to buy the pre-braided cables after all :(

Soldato
OP
So had a bit of a disaster. Left my 20+4 lead laying round and the wifey took it to the dump with a pile of other junk - don't ask me why she thought it was junk!

Anyway, sent super flower a message on FB asking if it was possible to buy a replacement. Their reply was most unexpected. They replied asking if I had bought through OcUK and asked for an image of the invoice. Said they instruct OcUK to send me out a cable when they next receive an RMA unit back!!

Pretty damn decent of them!!

Back
Top Bottom