Brake pad change and electronic handbrake

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I've always changed my own brake pads and discs on any vehicle I've owned but the times come to tackle the rear pads and discs on the wife's VW Tiguan and it's the first car we've owned with an electronic handbrake, I've spent a good few hours reading mixed messages on methods of doing this DIY online and also horror stories of breaking £500 calipers if not done properly.

Anybody had any luck doing this DIY without a computer?

Soldato
Take it to your local mechanic and get it done properly. It's not expensive.

To do the job properly it needs plugging in and putting in to maintenance/service mode. It then needs resetting once the work has been done.

Associate
Buy a carista. Subscribe to app (£39 for a year?) and you can wind back the electronic hand brake.

Did this for my A6 after the dealers wanted £1k to replace discs and pads all round!

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Where abouts in the country are you?

It is possible without the software as shown here https://youtu.be/bAm-TkqeFD4

A bit of software like vagcom or obd11 is much better though

Edit. £500 for a caliper? What?

Just west of Swansea, cheers for the link seems straight forward

Yup, £250 each side :eek:

Take it to your local mechanic and get it done properly. It's not expensive.

To do the job properly it needs plugging in and putting in to maintenance/service mode. It then needs resetting once the work has been done.

Spoken to my local garage who's also a good friend his current software is very hit or miss and is looking at a new option to cover everything.

Buy a carista. Subscribe to app (£39 for a year?) and you can wind back the electronic hand brake.

Did this for my A6 after the dealers wanted £1k to replace discs and pads all round!

I'd be keen to hear your thoughts? I came across this when Googling, the free month on purchase would allow me to do the brakes and I'd probably go for a weeks pass at a time as when required as opposed to a yearly sub, the Amazon reviews seem hit or miss.

Soldato

Spoken to my local garage who's also a good friend his current software is very hit or miss and is looking at a new option to cover everything.

Does he not have Vag-Com?

If not, Why not??

(And, as pointed out elsewhere, no diagnostic software package will cover all systems on all vehicles.)

Soldato
Does he not have Vag-Com?

If not, Why not??

(And, as pointed out elsewhere, no diagnostic software package will cover all systems on all vehicles.)

Did mine myself using Forscan.
But also my mechanic friend has the snapon diagnostic gear that does everything.

Associate

I'd be keen to hear your thoughts? I came across this when Googling, the free month on purchase would allow me to do the brakes and I'd probably go for a weeks pass at a time as when required as opposed to a yearly sub, the Amazon reviews seem hit or miss.

I have two older Audis and have a proper VAGcom cable for them but it doesn't work on the newer ones and I didn't fancy shelling £600 out for it (the unlimited pro version although it seems you can get this for about £480 now). The carista is OK for Audis and it worked for what I needed, so yes the free trial would do you perfectly.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
I didn't ask what software he was using he just mentioned he had difficulty with certain brands, he said about leaving the ignition running and handbrake off while changing similar to a few of the YouTube videos may give this a go tomorrow and if I have any problems invest in the Carista app.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Don't do this, do it properly. Handbrake off doesn't fully unwind the motors, plus it has to re-learn the application points for the new pads. Carista will do the job though, it's a good bit of kit.

I'll Amazon prime it then :D

Soldato
Electric handbrakes are pants anyway.

Ultimately the handbrake is supposed to be your secondary emergency brake in the event of primary brake failure.

How does that work with an electric one??

Couple an electric handbrake with one of those auto-manual gear-trains that a lot of VAG cars have these days and manoeuvring on a hill is horrible!

Soldato

Ultimately the handbrake is supposed to be your secondary emergency brake in the event of primary brake failure.

Couple an electric handbrake with one of those auto-manual gear-trains that a lot of VAG cars have these days and manoeuvring on a hill is horrible!

Not that I've put the thing on at speed, but I have been a little hasty in putting it on before fully stopped and it acts just like a normal handbrake.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
It's really good. I have one in the car for 'just in case'.

That's good to know I've got a Creator branded cabled reader for my BMW which I keep in the boot and has been a life saver with dodgy glow plugs and resetting codes when required, I wonder if this could cover both cars? does it give real time stats when driving?

Soldato

Basically, you don't have an emergency brake anymore :/

All the hassle because someone wanted to push a button instead of pull a lever. You also can't release them if the battery is near flat (and sometimes they won't even let go even if you recharge it), which is a barrel of laughs...

Associate
Iv got to do my rear pads on my CC when I get paid. Been trying to find DIY information on how to unwind them myself. Seems to me that the Carista is a good method. Going to ordering on myself soon.

Back
Top Bottom