• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Brand 1080 ti (Stock) did not pass Fire Strike stress test

Associate
Stock everything. I plugged in the GPU straight from the box and I got a 94.7% score (97% is passing). Should I return the GPU or is this expected with the throttling that comes along with stock cooler trying to maintain 84 degrees?

screen:

121212121.jpg

Beside that. In all games temps are the same and i have good performance without drops. I have good scores in all other tests. Can i trust this strees test or i must change card? thanks.
Also i tried update 3dmark and the same 95% not passed. All card is on stock settings. Case is open.

Ps:
My previous Gtx 1080 Xtreme gaming was passing test always. But now my 1080 ti reference not. Should i exchange card to another ? I bought card week ago. Thank you.

Associate
OP
On load fan speed was much higher. It is on idle. I have also case opened. Temps on fire strike is 83-84C ,boost going to 1700-1750mhz and i have 94% fail test. Any ideas ? Should i exchange card?

Associate
The % pass mark is based on a comparison to the maximum boost clock speed. So on a reference card with everything stock it will reach the target temp of 83 degrees and then reduce clock speed to maintain it. I would say this is normal for a refetence card with stock fan profile.
Hope that helps.

Associate
You can check by putting the fan to 100%, then you should get a pass. Then if that's ok you can either put a custom fan profile in to maintain max clock speed or just leave it to keep the noise down - if you use vsync you will probably never have this happen in games.

Soldato
If it's not crashing, giving artifacts or unable to hold its stock clocks the card is fine.

It's a reference blower so temps will be high and boost will drop to suit unless you set a more aggressive fan profile than stock.

I'd also suggest you up the power limit in afterburner to 120% too which will let the card hold its clocks a little better.

Associate
OP
yes games are no problems. In games boost 1870 going to 1800 or 1750mhz max. in games 1750-1890mhz.
IN firestrike is dropping to 1700-1750mhz and failing test 95% . Also no artifacts and no crashing

Soldato
yes games are no problems. In games boost 1870 going to 1800 or 1750mhz max. in games 1750-1890mhz.
IN firestrike is dropping to 1700-1750mhz and failing test 95% . Also no artifacts and no crashing

Then the card is fine.

Firestrike will be due to the cards power limit which will throttle any FE card as it is more intensive than a gaming scenario.

As I stated before increasing the power limit in afterburner to 120% which will help with the clocks.

Associate
Nothing wrong with your card. 3Dmarks stress test is just weird because it determines card stability from the clockspeeds it is running with over time not taking thermal targets etc into consideration. So the moments your clocks are backing down due to the card reaching it's max temperature, 3Dmark incorrectly assume this equal to instability, when in fact it's the total opposite. So the only way really to use the stress test is not going for a "Passed", but rather that the test as a whole completes and you don't get crashes or artifacts.
The way how 3Dmark decided to measure "stability" in this test is just plain goofy to me. Any pass regardless of clock speeds is a "Pass" - only with crashes or artifacts it's a "Not passed".

Soldato
Wouldnt worry about software telling you this. Especially when they set 97% as pass. They could have easily put 90% as pass. 98% is still a fail if you think about it.
Main thing with FE cards they are not really built to be stressed because you hit the 84c temp yet play a game for 2 hours and it probably wont top 78c.

In other words ignore it. Only thing you can do if you are really bothered about it is to change the cooling.

Soldato
Well i gave a run on firestrike extreme and ultra and even did a timespy run and all mine passed 100%. Fan does not go above 60% and holds 1810 - 1836 once its warmed up. Temps did not go past 76 degrees.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
my watercooled 1080 Ti only gets 97% in Firestrike ultra with a max temp of 41c after running the test
thats overclocked tho i reckon the low score is due to the power limit dropping clocks at certain parts of the test
so this only really tests gpu clock fluctuations

i really wish i could mod the bios and lock the clockspeeds in
so annnoying :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom