Brand new build roughly £1000

Soldato
Testing a different PSU could be your first port of call once/if you set out on hardware replacing troubleshooting. There's really no need for a 750W, or to use that extra CPU 4 pin header, if everything was fine. Need to track down what's going on as it could come back to bite you later even with Game Boost on.
Yep, my suggestion of the 4 pin was a troubleshooting process to see if we could smooth out the power delivery (not just more oomph) - but as Danny mentions it shouldn't be a requirement.

And you don't need a 750W supply with present setup - but you may need a working one if that is the issue.

Do you have a friend whose willing to rip apart their pc?

But then also manually enter a value of 1.35v for the RAM (in your pics it's DIMM 1.216v). See what happens.
Always, a good test to try. Or even profie 1 at 1.35V if that fails.

*And it would seem the phone isn't always easier than email with idiots :/

Soldato
Yep, my suggestion of the 4 pin was a troubleshooting process to see if we could smooth out the power delivery (not just more oomph) - but as Danny mentions it shouldn't be a requirement.

Sorry, didn't see that suggestion, Plec. As an experiment wouldn't hurt, no.

Associate
OP
just trying some stress tests and benchmarks etc, whats the best tests i should use please?

just done timespy and says the score was better tha 89% of other results so thats a good sign!

Will try that swarm test again to see if it doesnt restart on me again

Soldato
For a quick CPU test try Cinebench 15 for a quick preeedy test (monitor CPU temps)

For longer tests Prime 95 blended or OCCT or AIDA 64 - but Prime may be easier for you to use.

You have all rounder tests - Valley and Heaven.

And dedicated GPU tests like Furmark and Kombustor.

But one of the best tests is gaming - as it simulates real world usage. You can stress test for 16 hours and pass and then BSOD while browsing.

Having said that you do have an issue and stress testing the CPU and GPU independently (and even memory) - may cause the system to fall over earlier and identify the problem.

After Cinebench, try Prime blended on all cores - but monitor temps!

Associate
OP
Cant complete cinebench test keeps restarting

disabled xmp and left as stock ram and same reboot :(

- edit - that was cinebench R20 aswell just spotted you said cinebench 15 would that make a difference

edit again - R15 cinebench worked great on cpu - 1305cb & OpenGL 107.68 fps

Last edited:
Soldato
R20 is a bit tougher as it has AVX instructions, as does Prime 95 with AVX. Thing is some games also have those instructions, and you are likely to experience crashes while gaming at some point.

It still seems to be pointing (for now) to that particular CPU needing more power than normal to be stable. So it could be a very weak CPU and refund-worthy, or PSU-to-CPU power delivery issue. Could always be motherboard however it seems fine enough to inform you of a CPU issue which is somewhat reassuring when it comes to the motherboard (even if inconclusive).

Associate
OP
first prime 95 was the blend test went after 10 seconds will try again in a mo...

tried prime 95 again on the small setting, cpu went upto 89'c but didnt restart after 10mins till i ended it

Soldato
It still seems to be pointing (for now) to that particular CPU needing more power than normal to be stable. So it could be a very weak CPU and refund-worthy, or PSU-to-CPU power delivery issue. Could always be motherboard however it seems fine enough to inform you of a CPU issue which is somewhat reassuring when it comes to the motherboard (even if inconclusive).
Yep, it's a tough call - and unfortunately he's bought from multiple e tailers.

Soldato
might just nip to local elec store now and buy a new psu just for the sake of it then try returning if no good
I would ring and ask their returns policy before doing this. You would have more luck with this via distance buying (A PITA i know).

Associate
OP
looking at a local currys store near me doing some corsaid and EVGA gold rated 650 / 750 for a decent price, returns in 14days if opened & faulty (im sure i can return it )

might just try that and if it doesnt work i could return the cpu to

the PSU was bought local - was brand new in box still with celophane around it, but still you never know

CCL possibly....

or motherboard to very...

or ram to overclockers...

sigh >.< my head hurts

Soldato
looking at a local currys store near me doing some corsaid and EVGA gold rated 650 / 750 for a decent price, returns in 14days if opened & faulty (im sure i can return it )
This does sound good - but i would clarify with local store goon - then you have a name to go back to if they dispute it later.

Not all Currys stores/employees are equal - with my limited experience.

Soldato
Well its installed...

didnt boot up in the normal mode..

Restarted on prime 95 blend test after about 1 minute cpu temps around 60
Leaves the CPU in the library and the Motherboard in the kitchen - but we could test the memory hiding in the study.

Memtest HCI - normally i would say 400% (read instructions) - but if it is the memory causing the issue (be surprised) i would expect errors almost immediately.

Back
Top Bottom