Brand new build roughly £1000

Man of Honour
hmm possibly hard to tell really :(

well ive ordered a new one to get del tuesday

will wrap this one up tonight and send off tomorrow.

tuesday I will test new board with everything and if same problem ill carry on the push for the cpu return.....

summary of faults now -

• wont boot without boost mode active
  • cannot complete prime test
  • will complete cinebench15 but not 20
  • can do some gpu bench test but not all without rebooting

just ordered the

Scythe SCMG-5100 Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Cooler

aswell so will whack that on when sorted out
Sounds like power supply issue to me
What PSU is it? If it's multi-rail PSU then could explain the symptoms

Associate
OP

I have used a tx650m corsair

And a evga 750w

Both brand new

Both no difference.

I did manage to revert the bios back to v1.40 and tried testing again but exact same problem.

Just gotta wait for this mobo to arrive now tomorrow

An if thay doesnt work it will be the cpu!?

Soldato
He bought a TX650M locally - at a good price.

IIRC, he's swapping it our for an EVGA 650 gold (haven't checked if it's supernova) - and he's returned/returning the CPU and MB because he wants rid and start again (pro's and cons to this but i can understand his frustration)

Not 100% sure - I was out last night (wife was watching Britain's got T***sticks) and only dipped into the thread to see if he had troubleshooting questions.

Soldato
I have used a tx650m corsair

And a evga 750w

Both brand new

Both no difference.

I did manage to revert the bios back to v1.40 and tried testing again but exact same problem.

Just gotta wait for this mobo to arrive now tomorrow

From the horse's mouth! :)

And, CPU or GPU - but issues point towards CPU which is rare but does happen.

You've ruled out the PSU (forgot) - so smart money would be on the MB (but i've been on a few CPU DOAs threads before - some more infuriating than yours - 2 CPUs were even tested and sent back as fault free :/), so here's hoping!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
From the horse's mouth! :)

And, CPU or GPU - but issues point towards CPU which is rare but does happen.

You've ruled out the PSU (forgot) - so smart money would be on the MB (but i've been on a few CPU DOAs threads before - some more infuriating than yours - 2 CPUs were even tested and sent back as fault free :/), so here's hoping!

Would be frustrated if they said its all fault free after it got sent back but at least it woild rule out a possibility.

Spoke to ccl before they said the turnaround is usually 3 days but im within 14days of purchase they can just refund it really i told him the scenario and he said see how it goes with mobo then send back if need be.

I started a thread on msi forums about the board some people asking about bios voltages they needed more info etc going to give it another whirl tonight

Soldato
I started a thread on msi forums about the board some people asking about bios voltages they needed more info etc going to give it another whirl tonight
Had a quick look at the MSI advice - that last post isn't great for a troubleshooting a system that's unstable at stock, using a stock cooler.

It's essentially advising you to clock all cores to 4GHz, using a fixed voltage and turning off all power saving features and then torture testing it with Prime. This would be OK (prefer offset method) if you're going to try for a clock on an already established, stable system with a quality aftermarket cooler- but not something you would apply to assess a systems stability when it's unstable at stock.

We're trying to achieve a stable base platform - but the reality is it should do this out of the box - perhaps some minor tweaks to memory timings/frquency/voltage or even adjustments to to vCore. But i wouldn't whack, what is essentially a hefty (4GHz), clock when using a stock cooler... (3.7/8 GHz tops for stock cooler). Remember, you were touching close to 90 degrees using Prime at stock.

Additional: They were asking about your cooler attachment more out of concern if you were using a a large third party tower cooler (e.g. Dark Rock Pro 4). This can cause warping of the motherbaord around the socket - and even affect the DIMM sockets - in turn causing instability. Your stock cooler won't be an issue and if installed correctly, as described, it shouldn't be a problem. But, was worth a reseating - just to rule it out.

You're getting there - fingers crossed for next motherboard...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok i tried looseneing off the cpu cooler to start with..

I turned off boost mode

I then tweaked the setting as advised on msi forum.

So far I have run

cinebench20 temp upto 89 - no crashs

Star swam stress test 40-50 actually let me finish it no crashs

Multiboxing 2 games (x4 space sim & footballmanager2017) both v nice fps, cpu touching 50 but fans are barely at 40%

Run prime95 on blend for 10mins but shot up to 90c again but expected as its at 4.0 ill try it again with higher fan speed because they didnt kick in as much as i thought they should

Not sure where to go from here.... do i reduce from 4000 to the point where it wont boot?

Dont know how i feel now is it right is it ok now? Do i still swap mobo

Soldato
Not sure where to go from here.... do i reduce from 4000 to the point where it wont boot?

Dont know how i feel now is it right is it ok now? Do i still swap mobo
I would still swap mobo - this was couple hours testing at fixed volts? - you need to guarantee stability at defaults to ensure that there isn't an underlying issue. At the moment you're forcing your way through an unresolved issue with brute force (fixed volts) that may get worse and reappear at a later stage.

But it has validated what we knew, in part, before - you need more 'initial and constant' vCore to keep things stable (similar to gaming mode) - it's power delivery issue.

But, again it could be that the motherboard isn't delivering power effectively at defaults/auto, as it should - or the CPU itself requires extra/continuous juice to keep it stable at stock (or clocked in this instance). Impressed your cooler kept temps within 90 degrees - especially as you loosened cooler.

Why not try the new one before sending the other back - as it's arriving tomorrow?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I would still swap mobo - this was couple hours testing at fixed volts? - you need to guarantee stability at defaults to ensure that there isn't an underlying issue. At the moment you're forcing your way through an unresolved issue with brute force (fixed volts) that may get worse and reappear at a later stage.

But it has validated what we knew, in part, before - you need more 'initial and constant' vCore to keep things stable (similar to gaming mode) - it's power delivery issue.

But, again it could be that the motherboard isn't delivering power effectively at defaults/auto, as it should - or the CPU itself requires extra/continuous juice to keep it stable at stock (or clocked in this instance). Impressed your cooler kept temps within 90 degrees - especially as you loosened cooler.

Why not try the new one before sending the other back - as it's arriving tomorrow?

yeah i agree mate, should literally be plug and play out the box obviously somethings not been right!

i am tinkering with options and got it loading up at 36.5v with game boost off but not benched anything yet but still an improvement thats it not full belt

Soldato
ONot sure where to go from here.... do i reduce from 4000 to the point where it wont boot?
Just noticed this.

Reducing the clock won't make a difference - in fact it will reduce its chances of falling over. You will have the same fixed volts, that were keeping 4GHz stable, but they would now be applied to lower more manageable clocks - which would normally require less volts.

Associate
OP
ok what i seem to have established for whaterver reason i dont know why.

when i do a fresh default bios as new - the only thing i change is cpu core voltage from 3600 to 3650

nothing else,

after that the system starts up fine, no led no reboots after testing (so far) and decent temps.

very strange, will be intersting if it works with fresh mobo first time around

Soldato
yeah that sounds about right, the thing he wanted me to change to 40 i put to 36.5 - does not boot on 36
It's remaining stable because you've effectively disabled boost - and fixed all the cores to a lowly 3.65GHz. Normally, at auto and left on defaults, it would boost to 4.2 GHz (not all cores) even during post. So the system is delivering enough juice at auto to keep it stable at a fixed 3.65GHz across all cores.

Associate
OP
so thats pretty much stable (so far at stock -ish)?

then i an click the game boost option to take me to 4.05 which i was forced to run earlier to boot?

think im on the right wavelength....

still going to test it tomorrow no doubt would be stupid not to, just happy knowing its pretty close at the min.

ahh just rememberd tho it wasnt fully stable at boost tho was it kept crashing on some stress tests....

Soldato
Yeah, that's not really "stock". It just confirms the CPU needs more power than it should (CPU issue), or isn't getting what it should (mobo issue, as you've tried different PSU already).

Keep going (test different mobo and/or CPU) and get it sorted. You've gone far enough to just give up now and put up with this. :)

Associate
OP
Not really - you've crippled your performance, as you won't be benefiting from the 4.2GHz boost when needed. It will be stuck at 3.65GHz.

Do you get your replacement board tomorrow?

yeah i understand that im not at the 4.05 boost i wasnt planning on using that boost at all as i was just running fresh out of the box then when everything was confirmed stable (before any of these issues had developed) i was then going to use the boost

Back
Top Bottom