Brand new build roughly £1000

Soldato
yeah i understand that im not at the 4.05 boost i wasnt planning on using that boost at all as i was just running fresh out of the box then when everything was confirmed stable (before any of these issues had developed) i was then going to use the boost

It was still boosting, at stock. Even with Game Boost disabled. The two things are different. Now, you've cut its auto-boost off.

This isn't just some faulty USB header on the motherboard that you can decide to just put up with, it's a bit more risky than that, even if you somehow were happy running at 3.65GHz when you've paid for more. The problem could get worse, the CPU or mobo will then not be refundable no questions asked, and you'll have to pray that they find it to be faulty, and could take time etc.

Associate
OP
It was still boosting, at stock. Even with Game Boost disabled. The two things are different. Now, you've cut its auto-boost off.

This isn't just some faulty USB header on the motherboard that you can decide to just put up with, it's a bit more risky than that, even if you somehow were happy running at 3.65GHz when you've paid for more. The problem could get worse, the CPU or mobo will then not be refundable no questions asked, and you'll have to pray that they find it to be faulty, and could take time etc.

yeah i see where you guys are coming from so close yet so far!

will have a lot more answers by tomorrow night, in the meantime im going to get some gaming done on here while i can haha

Associate
OP
Not the mobo

Swapped it over

Exactly the same issue doesnt boot up. Then i changed it to 3650 and it started up identical issue

Not ssd
Not psu
Not mobo
Could be cpu
Very unliky for ram (from what iv heard)
Last resort could be gpu

:mad::mad::(:(

Soldato
Did you run memtest HCI? (i can't remember) But would seem an odd issue for memory - but memory is a bitch.

Leaves CPU - and outside possibility of GPU.

*Have you been using the kettle lead that came with the PSU and are you plugged directly into the wall?

Associate
OP
Yeah i did the memtest well 100% cant remember exact figure opened 6 boxes at 1024 each. Not sure the best setup i should have used tbh

I am plugged into an extension lead. Will try direct to wall aswell why not!

Cpu turnaround could be a a week after delivery both ways etc so thats pretty disappointing

Soldato
Nice going, list grows shorter. CPU still in the lead as prime suspect.

If the CPU turnaround is going to take a lot, might as well wait for Ryzen 3xxx lol.

Associate
OP
Kettle lead? Some people have a bad habit of using their old one and can cause issues.

Good idea.

Yeah i didnt have a lead to start with so all new.

Took my tower around to my friends who couldnt stop laughing at me (truly deserved as i was calling him a peasant after ordering my fancy new parts! Karma at its best suppose!)

Put his gpu in my tower and exactly the same red leds on mobo flashing cpu

Would not boot up on default bios changd it to 3650 and it booted up on his card exactly the same... so safe to say gpu is fine..

Unfortunately his ram is a different style woildnt fit so i cant fully rule that out yet however minimal...

Raised a ticket with ccl about cpu and will phone them in morning!!!

Yeah suddenly the 7/7 doesnt seem to bad haha

Soldato
Yeah i didnt have a lead to start with so all new.

Took my tower around to my friends who couldnt stop laughing at me

Put his gpu in my tower and exactly the same red leds on mobo flashing cpu

Would not boot up on default bios changd it to 3650 and it booted up on his card exactly the same... so safe to say gpu is fine
Well, all roads lead to CPU at present.

If you do decide to wait for Zen 2 - be sure to update BIOS before sending it back.

Associate
OP
Edited above sorry - but yeah ill try an get a replacement asap but if they being funny will see how it goes...

Would be horrible if they tested and said theres nothing wrong with it I would curl up in a ball and cry like my 4 year old little girl

Soldato
Would be horrible if they tested and said theres nothing wrong with it I would curl up in a ball and cry like my 4 year old little girl
They can drive you to the edge. I have half an Abit motherboard in my loft as a reminder - snapped clean in half after tweaking it for the nth time for no reward (after weeks of refining). The early days of overclocking were a lot harder, especially with a certain motherboard :/

Associate
OP
They can drive you to the edge. I have half an Abit motherboard in my loft as a reminder - snapped clean in half after tweaking it for the nth time for no reward (after weeks of refining). The early days of overclocking were a lot harder, especially with a certain motherboard :/

Haha thats awesome im tempted to snap this spare mobo an pin it to the wall above the monitor!!!

Well at least i have learned a lot the past few days! Every cloud an all that :rolleyes:

Soldato
Well at least i have learned a lot the past few days! Every cloud an all that :rolleyes:
You have, as much as it's been a PITA, you will have gained a lot of knowledge/experience - a baptism of fire!

But, once you do eventually get a fully functioning system (they do exist), you will at least feel very confident updating and configuration the system in the future. You even have a crude clock ready to go...

Associate
OP
The 2700 is on offer but if you're not clocking then the 2600X would still be chip of of choice if not streaming due to higher boost - until you slot in a Zen 2, which you could easily do in the future. (2600X relatively expensive - but comes with 2 free games which you can sell on if you don't need them, to offset build cost)

Personally, i wouldn't choose the 9600K purely as this limits your upgrade path (but it is a solid gaming CPU) - but if you went down this route it's ripe for clocking.

What is the 2080 you can get for £620? Ideally, you would get a card with a decent guarantee due to known issues.

I've added a 2070 just for price comparison and is a solid match with 1440p 144Hz gaming if you wanted to save money.

You may want to consider a third party cooler as it's will provide quieter running - plus better clocking opportunities if you decide to go down that route in the future:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £990.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)

You could easily sub out the memory for these cheaper 3000MHz sticks on sale:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

I dont know if im looking at this right...

But in the memory stick 3333mhz link the description doesnt mention amd compatibility

Whereas the 3000mhz stick does mention compatibility

Could this be it!?

Soldato
I dont know if im looking at this right...

But in the memory stick 3333mhz link the description doesnt mention amd compatibility

Whereas the 3000mhz stick does mention compatibility

Could this be it!?
No, if it's the memory it's because the sticks are faulty. Those sticks run fine on AM4 B450/ format - and usually at 3333MHz.

They're fine (compatible) - plus if you remember i asked you to stick to default memory settings when testing initially - assumed you did?

Easy to test - load optimised defaults and try to boot...

Associate
OP
No, if it's the memory it's because the sticks are faulty. Those sticks run fine on AM4 B450/ format - and usually at 3333MHz.

They're fine (compatible) - plus if you remember i asked you to stick to default memory settings when testing initially - assumed you did?

Easy to test - load optimised defaults and try to boot...

Yeah tried every variation of ram settings especially default ..

Im just clutching at straws really :rolleyes:

Soldato
Im just clutching at straws really :rolleyes:
Understandable - but your spec, when fault free, should all be 'singing-happy-clappy' when up and running.

The memory can't be ruled out - but you did try alternate sticks and at defaults resulting in the same issue. At the moment, the signs are pointing towards the CPU - but the reality is you can never rule out memory but this would be a strange representation of a fault. If you know of anyone with any DDR4 (1 stick will do) it would be useful to rule out completely.

Associate
OP
I may know a guy will have a word with him later..

Spoke to cpu store who have agreed to issue it as a rma and said will refund on return worst case they charge a 10% if they find its in full working order but poor condition...

Knowing this I am going to go to the local store again today and purchase a 2600x same price as oclockers. I know i can get it 25quid less other places but at this point iv gone past caring!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom