Brand new OC computer died, how do I get out my files and photos?

Associate
Hi.
I bought a new PC from OC that I received in mid-Dec, had to return it after a few days as it was faulty. Got it back, still having issues but trying to fix, then now it just died. I cannot get anything up on the screen though it has power. Screen is fine as tested with laptop. I will be requesting a refund, as this is not something I am happy to pay so much money for. However, how do I get out the files and photos I uploaded on the pc? I did not take a back up yet as I uploaded them just a few days ago and certainly did not expect imminent death of my brand new computer.
I have very limited knowledge of hardware, and can't afford to pay someone to help me.

Soldato
With limited hardware knowledge and not knowing what has gone wrong with the PC, as well as possible issues with your return if you take it apart, I would advise you speak to Customer Services first to see if there's anything they can do for you.

Associate
Very unlike OcUK pre-builts to fail like that, shame.

Based on your description, I'm going to assume you don't have another system to pull parts from. You will have to provide us with your invoice (minus personal details) so we can see what drives were installed so we can correctly recommend an external caddy.
However, even if we recommend a caddy, are you going to be able to remove the drives without damage? Not sure on the warranty stance with pre-builts, so make sure OcUK are OK with you doing that.

If the fault is with the PC and OcUK cannot fix it, send some removable storage with it (big enough to cover the size of your files) and ask them to back everything up to that and return it. They might charge a small fee, but that's for them to decide on at the time.
That's assuming the issue isn't with the storage drives themselves.

Permabanned
If you can remove the HDD then get something like this... It's a hdd drive copier/bay

515qKZE0WtL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

They are really cheap ( about £25 ) and it allows you to copy drives or access a drive through a USB connection to another PC. Take the drive out and pop it in that. then remove everything you need. I know it may seem a tad expensive for just one operation but you will be surprised how often you use it.

Back
Top Bottom