Brand new to PC!

Associate
So I finally decided to pull up my pants and join the big boys after watching numerous YouTube videos (and getting hooked) on games that were/are not available on console.

Only thing is I'm literally counting down the days until my PC arrives, it's just a modest built to order system but man am I excited. Haven't used KBM since playing Counterstrike in a game-cafe thing we used to go to 15 years or so ago, so it's gonna be a learning curve haha.

Anyway sorry for the blog, just really looking forward to it and needed something to do to pass the time while waiting!

Cheers :)
Dan

Caporegime
Welcome to the forum. You’ve definitely come to the right place if you run into any problems and need advice. We’re all a very friendly bunch here. You will probably be hooked now though and end up bankrupting yourself for that extra few FPS like a lot of us have :D

Associate
OP
Thanks! Yeah already had a chat with a couple of the lads over on the games sub-forum. Looking forward to my machine arriving and getting some hours in :)

Associate
Just curious- could you list the specs of your machine??

Fortnite Battle Royale and Player Unknown's battlegrounds should be on your list IMO. Seriously. PUBG should be your first game. 20 million people can't be wrong. One of the highest selling PC games of all time. It has sold 10 million copies in the last 60 days or so (according to a video I saw yesterday which I can neither confirm nor deny). If you don't want to put money down before you know if you will like the game, get Fortnite Battle Royale (Google it). It's free. It's like PUBG but sort of cut down and cartoonish and less tactical. Same game, without cars, cartoon overtones, a smaller island, and crappy guns. But you'll get the feel for it.

Also check out console games that are just better on PC like Destiny 2.

And hey- PC games are cheaper! Yay!

Good places to check out (these are not OCUK competitors so I hope it's ok to mention them)

Discord (You NEED this if you want to play team shooters and similar games with any kind of seriousness. Allows you to team-speak with your group in games like PUBG, counterstrike, etc. Get yourself a gaming headset with a microphone. It's a must. Discord is free. The headset is not :))
Steam (You download the steam client and buy games from it's store. This is the number one place for PC games. They have frequent sales. You can refund games you have played for 120 minutes or two weeks of ownership, if you don't like the game.)
Green Man Gaming (Sell games for Steam and other platforms. Frequent sales. Become a member for better discounts)
CD KEYS (Similar to Green Man Gaming)
EA Origin (The place to get EA games on PC such as Battlefield 1, The Sims, Battlefront, Mass Effect Andromeda, FIFA, etc)
UPlay (Ubisoft's distribution platform. The place to get and play games like Far Cry, The Crew, Watchdogs, etc)
Humble Bundle (Great place to get games cheeeeeap and give to charity. I just picked up $70 of games yesterday for $1 there.)

AVOID:

G2A, Kinguin <These sites sell games CHEAP but they are often (apparently) not from legit sources. Not a good place to go.

Green Man Gaming and CD KEYS both sell keys for not just steam, but Uplay and Origin as well.

And remember, PC games are not console games, you have to tweak the graphics settings to get the best possible quality and performance for your machine. Always try to play at the native resolution of your monitor (ie, 1920x1080) if possible. If you don't want to mess with all sorts of settings, most games have a quality slider with low, medium, high, ultra graphics presets. Mess around until you get smooth performance.

VSync is a setting that comes down to personal preference. If you turn it on and you can maintain the refresh rate of your monitor, framerate wise, say 60FPS for a 60Hz screen, you won't get any tearing in the image. However Vsync introduces slight input lag (I've never been able to notice it). If you bought a Freesync or Gsync monitor and matching graphics card make sure to read up on how to enable those. I don't want to type that much. And always turn Vsync off when running Freesync/Gsync.

Oh and as far as buying software (games!) digitally, which is your only option these days, if you don't have a credit card, but you do have a bank account, you need something called PayPal. It was created by Elon Musk and is a rather quite dope little system whereby you can use your bank account to make purchases online from various different places, some of which I can't list due to OCUK rules, but they include places where E-Dolphins swim, a certain forest, Steam, etc. Also if your bank card is a visa-debit card or something similar, and has a 3 digit code on the back where the signature goes, you can use it as a credit card to make online purchases and forego paypal.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you for the detailed welcome mrsprinkles! Might I add that although I'm new to PC, I've been gaming for the best part of 20 years ;) and have extensive experience with tactical team-based games - R6 Siege Diamond rank on PS4 - as well as single player. Saying that, I'm not one to turn down free advice and knowledge (and cheaper games haha)!

My specs are:

Intel Core i5-7600 3.50GHz (Kaby Lake)
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel
Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive
Palit GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

I currently have Fortnite BR on PS4 and have been enjoying it quite a bit, although the lack of progression at the moment makes it a bit stale. PUBG is definitely on the list, although Escape From Tarkov will be my first PC purchase! I'll also be using it primarily for Unreal Editor as I'm currently involved in the sound/audio area of a game design project (and hope to go in that direction after Uni), but having something able to play PC exclusives on will be awesome too.

As it's only quite a modest machine I imagine graphics will be an area which I'll be tweaking quite a bit but as you have already demonstrated there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum alone. Also, your 'avoid' section will come in handy no doubt!

Associate
So I finally decided to pull up my pants and join the big boys after watching numerous YouTube videos (and getting hooked) on games that were/are not available on console.

Only thing is I'm literally counting down the days until my PC arrives, it's just a modest built to order system but man am I excited. Haven't used KBM since playing Counterstrike in a game-cafe thing we used to go to 15 years or so ago, so it's gonna be a learning curve haha.

Anyway sorry for the blog, just really looking forward to it and needed something to do to pass the time while waiting!

Cheers :)
Dan

Would this game place be any change the franchise "game the wold" used to have quite a few of them over here years ago. welcome back to the PC master race you wont be disappointed

Associate
OP
Would this game place be any change the franchise "game the wold" used to have quite a few of them over here years ago. welcome back to the PC master race you wont be disappointed
Straining my memory here but I think it was called eScape haha. Thanks man, should be here by Thursday with any luck

Associate
Intel Core i5-7600 3.50GHz (Kaby Lake)
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel
Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive
Palit GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

That's not too bad honestly, as long as you'll be gaming at 1920x1080. Your CPU is going to be your main bottleneck as a lot of games are using more than 4 threads these days. Most of them actually especially the console ports. But you can still get by with four cores for the time being. Once your PC is old and grey it might be worth finding a 7700K to drop in there when they cost like $100 years from now.

Some games are going to run badly for you on account of your i5, games like Battlefield 1, or anything that has serious amounts of players (ie 64 player matches, 100 player matches) thats going to bog down your CPU.

Just remember, true PC gamers never pay full price :p. Even if a game is new it'll be cheaper on CDKEYS that it'll be on Steam or Origin or whatever, and if the game is a bit older look around for sales, check humble bundle, etc, and find the best possible deal.

Also if you're ever in a position where you want a game but don't have any $$ until payday, PayPal can cover your butt, not that you're supposed to use it this way, but you can. PayPal takes 7-8 days to take money out of your account, so if you're 7 days from payday you can buy a game and be confident that PayPal won't actually take any money until 7 days later, and the purchase will go through.

Even if you're more than 7 days from payday you can still do it and you will just end up with a negative
PayPal balance that you can rectify when you do get paid by transferring money from your bank acct or whatever to PayPal.

Associate
OP
That's not too bad honestly, as long as you'll be gaming at 1920x1080. Your CPU is going to be your main bottleneck as a lot of games are using more than 4 threads these days. Most of them actually especially the console ports. But you can still get by with four cores for the time being. Once your PC is old and grey it might be worth finding a 7700K to drop in there when they cost like $100 years from now.

Some games are going to run badly for you on account of your i5, games like Battlefield 1, or anything that has serious amounts of players (ie 64 player matches, 100 player matches) thats going to bog down your CPU.

Just remember, true PC gamers never pay full price :p. Even if a game is new it'll be cheaper on CDKEYS that it'll be on Steam or Origin or whatever, and if the game is a bit older look around for sales, check humble bundle, etc, and find the best possible deal.
Yeah I'll be 1080p, hell I'll even take 720p if it means a consistent frame rate haha. If I ever have the choice between frame rate and resolution I'll pretty much always choose frame rate, a good example of this would be Nioh on PS4 which uses a dynamic resolution system in order to maintain 60fps (or as close as it can) during intensive parts of the game. So my first upgrade will be the processor, got it!

Game-wise the only things I'll be getting are PC exclusives, or anything I feel would work better with KBM. I already have PS4 and X1 so any 'mainstream' titles will be bought for them ;)

Really appreciate you taking the time to steer me in the right direction! The thing with PC is there are just so any configurations and combinations hardware-wise. The only choice I ever really had as a console gamer was Sony or Microsoft and I couldn't even make that resulting in buying both haha

Associate
Yeah I'll be 1080p, hell I'll even take 720p if it means a consistent frame rate haha. If I ever have the choice between frame rate and resolution I'll pretty much always choose frame rate, a good example of this would be Nioh on PS4 which uses a dynamic resolution system in order to maintain 60fps (or as close as it can) during intensive parts of the game. So my first upgrade will be the processor, got it!

Game-wise the only things I'll be getting are PC exclusives, or anything I feel would work better with KBM. I already have PS4 and X1 so any 'mainstream' titles will be bought for them ;)

Really appreciate you taking the time to steer me in the right direction! The thing with PC is there are just so any configurations and combinations hardware-wise. The only choice I ever really had as a console gamer was Sony or Microsoft and I couldn't even make that resulting in buying both haha

No need to go to 720P. The 1060 will handle any game on ultra settings at 60FPS at 1080P, except some horribly coded ones, some of which are worth playing, like PUBG. If anything you'll just have to turn down anisotropic filtering and anti aliasing.

Associate
OP
I was just demonstrating my preference of frame rate over resolution :p

It runs Tarkov beautifully 1080p locked to 60fps so I'm super happy, next step is to learn where the keys are without having to look haha

Back
Top Bottom