Break away super Euro league

Don
I'm sure this was reported at the time when Gazidis, the Glazers and John Henry were spotted at a restaurant together and has been brought up numerous times in the past too. It's a bargaining chip the top sides use whenever they're negotiating with UEFA or their domestic leagues regarding CL qualification or tv/prize money. If all the top sides broke away and formed their own super league it would kill UEFA, the PL, La Liga etc but equally it's a massive gamble for these sides too so a compromise is always reached.

While I think it's something possible one day, I can't see it happening anytime in the short to medium term but as above, I'm sure something will leak about this the next time the structure of the CL is being discussed or how domestic TV rights are split.

Associate
OP
There was a similar rumour about 10 years back where Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool wanted something along these lines to play week in week out with the Euro elite clubs.

Don
There was a similar rumour about 10 years back where Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool wanted something along these lines to play week in week out with the Euro elite clubs.
As above it's been talked about on and off for ages, whenever they want to force a change. This most recent incident came around when the big sides first raised the idea of taking a bigger cut of overseas TV money - they needed at least 14 PL sides to vote in favour of the changes got those votes because enough of the smaller sides realise that if they don't concede a little bit to the top sides then a breakaway league becomes a real possibility.

Don
I really wouldn't rule out some sort of European Super League replacing the CL in the future. The top sides want a closed shop, they don't want the risks of having to qualify nor do they want to share the TV money with Red Star Belgrade. They'll feel that they can attract more TV money and keep the lions share of it for themselves in some sort of 14-16 team Super League, with no need to qualify or relegation system and I can see a compromise being reached where domestic league are cut to 16 teams and these sides no longer compete in the League and or FA Cups.

Back
Top Bottom