*breaking news* Boston Marathon explosions

Associate
Nice to see that Westboro Baptist Hatemongers are hailing the bombings. From their Twitter “BREAKING: Westboro Baptist Church to picket funerals of those dead by Boston Bombs! GOD SENT THE BOMBS IN FURY OVER **** MARRIAGE! #PraiseGod.”

Hope they do picket, and I hope they get an absolute kicking, Boston wont take that ****.

I remember watching the Louis Theroux documentary on them and it filled me with rage. If I remember correctly a father of a dead marine who's funeral they picketed sued them for millions.

Soldato
If you're going to get offended by someone disagreeing with you I'd suggest this forum maybe isn't the place for you. There was nothing uncivil about my post, saying an opinion is rubbish is hardly the heights of rudeness.

I should clarify I was answering a the general point of your post as it's not the first reply to that post. There have been others that argue the same thing and include references to feeling more of a kinship to the Americans than a starving African.

So is a market place though.

What does 'normal' mean in this sentence? White westeners?

You certainly do remember it differently to me then, I remember wall to wall coverage lasting a couple of weeks, a charity single featuring some of the UK's biggest artists, numerous appeals etc.

I'm not offended in the least but I just don't have the time to waste discussing something with someone who doesn't have basic manners. I also have no problem with someone disagreeing with me.

a market place in the middle east is not the same. you are still missing the point and taking things completely literally. a market in a warzone is not a normal and safe place for you or I. a public event in a western nation is a normal and safe place.

Why are you making this a race thing? You think all those that were injured were white? The normal in that sentence means just that, normal everyday bostonites. Of all colours.

You seem to be confusing issues here. The discussion was about the thoughts and reactions of people. Not the media, not celebrity appeal type stuff, but normal everyday people. IE, the people on forums and in real life etc. Most regular people thought it was horrific, but i dont believe they really cared. In fact I doubt most people could even tell you how many people died.

Don
I still reckon the got the time for bomb detonation wrong by roughly 2 hours too late.

I absolutely agree; If you wanted to do this to make an example of something, or just to inflict as much damage as possible, then surely you'd set of a bomb when the finish line is as packed as it ever is - In this case, at the end of the marathon race.

I don't beleive a bomber would show compassion and let numbers dwindle before setting of a bomb, it could be argued that the bombed wouldn't have the right frame of mind for compassion to come into it.

Associate
I absolutely agree; If you wanted to do this to make an example of something, or just to inflict as much damage as possible, then surely you'd set of a bomb when the finish line is as packed as it ever is - In this case, at the end of the marathon race.

I don't beleive a bomber would show compassion and let numbers dwindle before setting of a bomb, it could be argued that the bombed wouldn't have the right frame of mind for compassion to come into it.

The bomb didn't severely injure any of the runners though did it? I think it was targeted at the crowd and the crowd was still packed.

Soldato

As bad as it sounds it always amazes me how little thought is put in to these things. provided you know how to make a bomb there are so many ways/places to injure a lot more people.

Don
The bomb didn't severely injure any of the runners though did it? I think it was targeted at the crowd and the crowd was still packed.

You're right, but it wasn't as packed as it was when there were more runners and specifically, better runners.

As bad as it sounds it always amazes me how little thought is put in to these things. provided you know how to make a bomb there are so many ways/places to injure a lot more people.

Indeed, I think sheer ineptness saved multiple peoples lives yesterday.

Associate
Just more speculation but the '2 hour late' timing could have been deliberate to minimize non-american casualties at an international event.

I don't know much about marathons but I assume the international runners who go all the way to Boston are likely to finish earlier than domestic charity runners etc.

Caporegime
You're right, but it wasn't as packed as it was when there were more runners and specifically, better runners.

Indeed, I think sheer ineptness saved multiple peoples lives yesterday.

I really wouldn't say anything about the person that did this as inept, after all the person seems to continue to allude people and possibly never will, though the distinctly dystopian laws in the US compared to the 90s, may make it different.

Last edited:
Soldato
One of the bits of information I read last night was the area was the family meet/greet area, two hours earlier is was packed solid to see the first bunch of people finishing, it had thinned out when the bomb went off. Mistake or not its very strange.

Permabanned
Just more speculation but the '2 hour late' timing could have been deliberate to minimize non-american casualties at an international event.

I don't know much about marathons but I assume the international runners who go all the way to Boston are likely to finish earlier than domestic charity runners etc.

You have to qualify for Boston by running under a certain time in another marathon, for a man in my age group it's 3:05 that's fast, so for Boston relatively few runners would be coming in around 4hrs, at London 4-6hrs is the busiest time as you don't need to qualify

Permabanned
There's a bloke on Sky News that was at the Omagh bombings and then in London when the bus attacks happened who was also at the marathon yesterday.

I'd be questioning him to be honest.

Permabanned
My first thought on the incident was that it looked like a gas canister from a hotdog stand or similar food stand exploded. Based on the explosion itself and the images of the blast radius.

But it has all the hallmarks of a security led operation. ie some security company or organization or other party with financial interest, is looking to get some big marathon security contracts next time around. Set up a bomb attack and then next marathon lock it down like a prison and charge them $millions.

Soldato
But it has all the hallmarks of a security led operation. ie some security company or organization or other party with financial interest, is looking to get some big marathon security contracts next time around. Set up a bomb attack and then next marathon lock it down like a prison and charge them $millions.

????

Soldato
It might be linked to the Boston IRA Tapes being released by the US Supreme Court, Boston was/is a hot-bed of American-Irish IRA support and the tapes apparently have information that they didn't want the UK/Irish Govts. to get their hands on.

The bombings at the Boston Marathon have the hallmarks of an IRA attack. Could they have been a warning against the release of these tapes?

Associate

wow, just wow

Caporegime
My first thought on the incident was that it looked like a gas canister from a hotdog stand or similar food stand exploded. Based on the explosion itself and the images of the blast radius.

Who died and made you an expert on explosives, physics, chemistry and terrorism?

Soldato
Nice to see that Westboro Baptist Hatemongers are hailing the bombings. From their Twitter “BREAKING: Westboro Baptist Church to picket funerals of those dead by Boston Bombs! GOD SENT THE BOMBS IN FURY OVER **** MARRIAGE! #PraiseGod.”

Hope they do picket, and I hope they get an absolute kicking, Boston wont take that ****.

careful what you are quoting next time please

http://i.imgur.com/TDiGifd.jpg

Saw a few of the raw images floating around the net, pretty horrific. Such an odd event to target though :(

Back
Top Bottom