Breaking News: Cruise Ship missing at sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I hope this turns out to be a false alarm/not-as-bad-as-it-initially-seems scenario - not just for the sake of the people on board but for the future of Egyptian tourism and all the companies involved in it. Egypt relies very heavily on tourism for it's income, this is yet another blow they can do without. Big operators will start to pull out of the Red Sea and this will leave them in a potential financial disaster. :(

EDIT
It appears that this is a "local ship for local people" but with doubts about Egypt in the minds of tourists that won't really make much difference.

Soldato
Bad news indeed.... must be terrifying to be on a sinking ship at sea.

The report says its an onld (1970's) roll-on roll-off ferry type thing and they can sink relatively easily if water gets on the car deck. Makes me wonder why the hell something like that was allowed to goto open sea. Then again not everywhere has such stringent saftly laws as us.

Hopefully its not as bad as it seems to be and lots more have survived.

Man of Honour
HEADRAT said:
Hopefully not another "Herald of Free Enterprise", Ro-Ro ferries do have safety problems if not operated correctly.

HEADRAT
My Dad worked on the database of casualties and survivors after that incident - just before we moved to Wales. I had a big cutaway poster of the ship on my bedroom wall when I was a kid. Don't forget the ferry that used to sail from Ramsgate operated by Viking Line called The Sally was then sold and renamed as the Estonia a few years ago and sank in high seas killing around 1000 people.

Soldato
Lopéz said:
Don't forget the ferry that used to sail from Ramsgate operated by Viking Line called The Sally was then sold and renamed as the Estonia a few years ago and sank in high seas killing around 1000 people.

Yep Ro-Ro due to the large "car decks" are pretty much deadly if they take on water, water once on the car deck "sloshes" around and destabilises the ship. In terms of the Herald they were "lucky" as it was in shallow water, if not it would have sunk like a stone.

HEADRAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom