Breaking up rig to sell.

Associate
So I have decided to sell my PC parts to fund a new laptop.

I have already got buyers lined up for some parts.

Can somebody please quickly list the must do's when taking my PC apart.

I am fine with the hardware, but not sure about Wiping HDD, resetting MoBo, uninstalling OS, etc.

Any help much appreciated.

Soldato
format (in a perfect world about 20 times to totally clear the HHD) then a clean install of chosen OS and give everything a damn good clean so that no dust is seen by the naked eye.

Associate
OP
Clean install of OS? I have a recovery disk, just use that? I'll then be selling the product key.

Also what about mobo, do I just leave it as it is?

Cheers

Soldato
I take it the OS is and OEM version ........ if thats the case then you can't break up the rig as the OS is tied to your motherboard :(

Unless you format the HDD and just sell it as a normal blank one .....

Associate
OP
No, I had windows 7 and did a DL of win 8. Does that make a difference?

The PC was built by myself so I initially installed win 7 myself.

Soldato
format the HDD so none of your personally info is left on the drive (myself personally keep them or hit them with a hammer), clear the cmos on the motherboard and restore the gpu back to factory then it will not matter what you do as it will all be stock and people that buy it will be OK to then do as they wish with it.

as you kept saying recovery disc I think you have the OEM version of windows which will be useless to a buyer, the windows CD with key can be resold if it's the retail version and you don't use the code again yourself, as for Windows 8 as its the upgrade I would guess the upgrade made it like an OEM version.... you could sell it with the windows 7 CD and all will be fine.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ah right :/ I sold the Windows 7 disk/key when I upgraded. The reason I have a recovery disk was because I had a few boot problems when I first upgraded. I guess I'll have to check if the seller is just upgrading then, right?

I'll be selling in the MM so no problem finding out from the buyer.

Cheers for the help!

Caporegime
It appears that the requirements for selling Windows 8 are:

You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if

a) you are the first licensed user of the software and

b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software.

As an aside apparently you shouldn't have sold the Windows 7 key when you upgraded:

The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way.

Associate
OP
Ok, well I got the upgrade for free anyway and my HDD probably wont sell for much (500gb) so I will just sell the other components and do as said above, take out a hammer to the hard drive.

Cheers guys.

Soldato
As said above your Windows 8 key and upgrade will be useless to a buyer as you no longer own the Windows 7 disc nor key and therefore the upgrade is tied to your windows 7 install/ product key.

Back
Top Bottom