1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Feek

Commissario

*** The old Brexit thread has become so large that it's causing problems. This is a new thread which shouldn't put such a load on the server. Please continue your Brexit discussions here. ***

Unfortunately we have seen much Brexit discussion descend into petty squabbles. As such, we have now created a new Brexit discussion thread within Speakers Corner - where all Brexit discussion should occur from now on.

As you know, in SC we expect that discussion is kept strictly on-topic and especially respectful. Posts that simply antagonise will be removed and suspensions will be issued if required. If you see a problem post be sure to use the RTM feature to let the mod team know.

2. robfosters

Caporegime

You’ll be on your fiftieth thread at least by the time this is sorted!

3. doodah

Capodecina

As if it was the enormity of the thread that made the servers buckle! Remember kids, politics effects all aspects of life.

Johnson's attempt to replicate Trump isn't doing well, actually if you look at it from serial failures - very well. He's starting to pick up on the 'there's a tweet for that'....
    I think he's holding some sort of press conference or speech now.

4. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

If Johnson puts in a VoNC in his Govt he should be made to explain in detail in what ways are they incompetent.:);):);)

5. Mr Badger

Soldato

I fully acknowledge that some Leave voters may have been genuinely "mistaken" (protesting against the establishment/austerity, blaming the EU for things under UK control, or just taken in by the claim that the EU need us more than we need them and so the UK would get a fantastic deal with no downsides) and have since changed their mind. What baffles me is that there appears to be a significant chunk of the population that not only now support the most extreme form of Brexit, but also believe that Boris is the one to deliver it by any means necessary. There are no solutions to the problems, just an obsession with crashing out as fast as possible.

6. dowie

Caporegime

It doesn't sound like they'd take that approach/the impartial speaker might not allow it from the government either.

They can try again for an election on Monday, they can perhaps try again, if that fails, by attempting to do it via bypassing the fixed term parliament act... and if those fail then he can go all in, drive to Buckingham Palace and resign.

7. HazardO

Underboss

If I were the opposition at the moment I'd be looking at any way an alternative cross party government could be formed to stop Johnson scuttling Parliament, and calling a VONC. Even if the alliance was only set to stand for 60 days. I believe Johnson when he says he would rather be dead than ask for an extension, I can see all sorts of tricks from refusing to put the bill forward into law, calling a VONC in himself or using the UK's veto to block and extension. This isn't over unless the opposition parties get their act together.

8. adidan

Hitman

Brexit is causing Stockholm Syndrome in some people. Seriously. They just want it to end.

9. dowie

Caporegime

Perhaps they've seen it as the remainer dominated parliament trying to undermine Brexit, some trying to have a re-run because the plebs voted the wrong way etc.. and just want them to get on with it, fulfil the promise made when the referendum was offered instead of going for yet another delay.

10. ltron

Wise Guy

May's deal and in particular no deal are just the beginning, not the end, of decades of wrangling and misery for the British people and our European friends, that's why we Remainers resist it: the only way to end it is to kill it dead.

11. RedvGreen

Mobster

In all honesty, I don’t know what people would do with themselves when Brexit is over (by either revocation or delivering it).

Losing Brexit to a revocation would mean Nigel Farage would see a subscription increase, allowing him to buy a new condo in Florida. Oh, and some toxic hatefilled words on Facebook too.

Delivering Brexit would be such a pyrrhic victory that it would take perhaps weeks, if not months before the rants turn to pleas for help.

12. StriderX

Capodecina

That's the thing isn't it, it's not a remainer dominated parliament, after all >80% voted for Brexit supporting parties, if only the ERG voted for Brexit, this would have been over months ago. People can parrot ***** all they like, but reality beckons.

Magnanimity would have gone a long way to resolving this impasse, but some just wanted to wedge the knife in, and here we are, a disgrace because a side with no humility in the face of "winning" thought they were impenetrable.

This is never over, these are but battles in the war for truth, and you know what they say about truth in war. Chaos is opportunity personified, i'm sure Mogg's father would agree.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  13. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

14. simpletom

Wise Guy

Damn, he's developed some sort of massiah complex and now wants to martyr himself :D

Please, Boris, just follow through on this one little thing, you odious little pleb.

15. StriderX

Capodecina

I'd be rather careful about insinuating that.

16. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Funnily enough, that was my reaction;);)

17. Murphy

Mobster

Remainer dominated parliament, remainer dominated forums, remainer dominated protests, I'm starting to question if this truly is 'The Will of the People™'.

18. V F

Capodecina

Somehow I have this feeling this will still be getting kicked down the road even by 2025.

19. StriderX

Capodecina

Even a no deal brexit is just kicking the can down the road on the question of the EU.

20. FishFluff

Soldato

Don't you know? It's because only leftie SJW communist hippies have time to protest because they don't have jobs (or something like that). Brexit supporters are too busy being the downtrodden working class heroes.