1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. garnett

Soldato

Tell me which thing you built that was then given away to foreigners that you are most upset about?

I'm guessing that there isn't one, and that this is just more Brexiteer entitlement, and expectation of being given something for nothing, riding on the coat-tails of others.

Happy for you to name that one thing and prove me wrong. Otherwise, yeah, you're not painting yourself in a great light.

Following on from what preceded it, this reads like that common Brexiteer wail, "They're eroding British culture!"

Again, I'd ask you, what contribution of yours to British culture are you most upset about getting harmed? I've asked a few Brexiteers this, and their concern for British Culture never seems to be that great that they've actually got off their backsides and made any contribution. Its just another thing they feel entitled to.

Quoted for posterity. Brexit in a nutshell.

What opportunities did you take to take the education our country offered the Countries Citezens as you put it? It seems bizarre to deny others the gift horse you looked in the mouth.

...And here's the result of turning down that gift horse. Celebration of the thing he was promised would not happen. Delight in being mugged off.

:)

2. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Capodecina

Yep, but..

Where the issue lies is that by careful wording the politicians wanting support have inferred this will result in less immigration.
    Controlled immigration does not have any link to the numbers.
    Time after time I hear those who want less quote the points based system.

I have asked quite a few, why do we want to bring in more accountants, lawyers, scientists, programmers etc. Why do we want to allow immigration for well paid jobs, but restrict immigration for low paid jobs.
    I never get a straight sensible answer and hence I have to conclude its because those that a failing want the immigration to stop so they are somehow more valuable.
    Often they simultaneously rant about Blair, yet Blairs approach was to upskill/upeducate the natives gving them better opportunities in a larger economy.

Over years of recruiting I have frequently been annoyed at how Brits wont move. They will sit in unemployment spots and complain about people taking jobs, yet wont for many reasons, family, cost, friends, etc etc
    Yet they will complain about someone who will relocate across countries for a job.
    I don't know what they expect, I can only conclude they think a company is going to go I will move my operations from London to Great Yarmouth as there is a ready supply of unemployed there. They wont, uner the points based they will petition (usually through trade bodies I expect) to get their requirements added to the wanted list. (this is very much what happens in Aus for example)

Ive been hearing locally from farming again about the new wave of Brits taking jobs on the land, on furlough or losing jobs etc. How no surprise most are still quitting, and those that stay are lower productivity than the immigrants.
    How the realities of what that work is, doesn't match the idyllic Hay wain style print their grandmother had on the wall.

3. Greebo

Caporegime

So I see our idiotic government only manged to submit 4 of the required 28 proposals in time for the 30th June for the UK financial services to continue to get special access to the EU after 1st January.

Perhaps they should have asked for an extension if they couldnt get them done in time? So its a full blown no deal we are heading to now and I see the usual suspects in our Govt are already claiming its all the EU fault that the UK didnt get them submitted within the required time.........:rolleyes:

4. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Capodecina

The EU didnt include a stamped addressed envelope, or required that we actually filled the forms in completely and didn't just write "whatever Cummings thinks" in all the fields?

5. Hagar

Sgarrista

Well that wasn't me. I left sunny Hampshire in 1974 to go to St Helens and work on a construction site at Parr sewage scheme. Liking the life, I qualified and never really went back except through work. I have worked in most parts of the UK as a civil engineer. I was out of work for a year in 1980 but shoehorned a course in draughting and subsequently found work in a design office. There are some lazy ********* about who should do a Tebbit and get on their bike but I worked continually apart from the one year until I retired two years ago. I am even thinking about rehiring on somewhere soon.

6. sigma

Suspended

They’ll be fine, all they need to do is:

a) move on
    b) ask what about Corbyn
    c) sing Rule Britannia (Rule Englandia?)
    d) believe a bit more in Cummings
    e) wash hands and sing appy birthday

7. D.P.

Caporegime

So will there or will there not be restrictions that limit the availability of high earning EU nationals entering Britain?

8. sigma

Suspended

Gross incompetence is the new norm and we continue to lap it up. Bathe in the glory.

9. garnett

Soldato

So, as Stanley Johnson flouts Lockdown rules ...

...Do any of our Brexiteers want to explain again how they voted for Brexit because they were sick of an Elite?

:)

Please everyone, don't call them stupid.

10. Slam62

Sgarrista

So this is still a **** off Brexit thread

11. garnett

Soldato

Not at all.

People said "Brexit is a racist endeavour" and Brexiteers said "No, because I voted for another reason."

Now you're all saying those other reasons weren't ever actually important to you.

So.... The comedy is in this question and the fact you'll scurry away rather than answer it....

Can you name a reason other than xenophobia for voting for Brexit that hasn't been demolished by subsequent events?

12. Rroff

Man of Honour

A bad idea doesn't just cease being a bad idea...

13. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Stanley Johnson backed Remain.

14. Murphy

Mobster

He didn't have the courage of his conviction though did he as shortly after the referendum he switched to wanting to leave.

15. sigma

Suspended

peolle just need to move on

16. Minusorange

Soldato

Like father, like son :)

17. garnett

Soldato

I don't think the guy's ever backed anything in his life other than his own self-interests...

It's as though they all believe strongly in Brexit, as long as it's only for the little people...

18. Murphy

Mobster

Tell that to all those people who didn't move on after we joined the EU...who didn't move on for over 40 years.

19. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

20. Murphy

Mobster

At least you can't accuse them of not knowing their audience.