1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. dowie

Caporegime

Yep, but it still happened, the result is still there and that still hold significance for the voters and MPs. They could have voted to revoke article 50 but the campaign from those against leaving has, until recently, mostly been focused on having another referendum.

2. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

Which if the will of the people was firmly for leave it would not make sense for those against leaving to continually push for another referendum. Leave supporters back this up by being strongly against another referendum, which would confirm support for not just brexit but the correct form of brexit.

3. Doobedoo

Wise Guy

You’re not laughing your continuously crying and complaining. Now me as someone who didn’t vote is laughing I can do that as I have no horse in this race and haven’t spent almost 3 years living in this sub forum telling other that you are wrong and stupid and gullible and generally inflating my own sense of self importance.

Dry your eyes step away from the keyboard and go and take a walk. The world is not going to end I can promise you.

4. garnett

Mobster

Agreed. There's only political weight behind Brexit, but that weight is still overwhelming.

The Remain approach - be it by design, due to circumstance, or both - has been broadly to slowly move the discussion and the Overton Window away from blind acceptance of any Brexit, towards cancellation of Brexit, via insistence on a good Brexit deal, then a 2nd ref, and now revocation.

5. dowie

Caporegime

Not necessarily, the vote was close enough that pushing for a re-run is probably worth a shot regardless, it isn’t like this was a recent thing - calls for a second referendum have been made since soon after the result of the first.

Not necessarily, you could have a second referendum to determine whether to pursue current deal, softer Brexit (day single market access included), some other options..., no deal etc..

A softer Brexit inc staying in the single market would probably have won, by a large majority.

6. garnett

Mobster

Against Remain? I'm not sure. It's too nuanced for the Manipulation Machine to have duped the people they designated as stupid enough to be swayed by their propoganda.

If you look at all the memes that were so effective many people still trot them out here...

"Take back control" - the decision is be governed by EU rules you either have a massive say in forming, or no say at all.

"£350m for the NHS" - fees payable in both outcomes.

"1m Turks are gonna take your house and rape your family" - chances unaffected by options.

None of these would be applicable.

Farage would have most likely gone straight into victim/betrayal mode, but had he got involved, what would his rallying call to his followers have been instead?

7. dowie

Caporegime

No as a second referendum to clarify what type of Brexit to have... if such a thing were offered - a second vote not being necessary if remain won.

Though some leave voters might well be against such a thing as the softest option would likely have gotten almost the entire block of remain supporters backing it.

8. adidan

Hitman

There were calls before the result came in.

A petition was started, by a Leave supporter, calling for a second referendum 'if the Remain or Leave vote won by less than 60 per cent on a turnout of less than 75 per cent.'

It got about 4 million signators.

9. dowie

Caporegime

Yes, exactly. A close result either way = instant calls for a re-run from one side or the other and resistance to that from the winning side because, well, why take the risk of another one when they've already won.

10. adidan

Hitman

Oh i'm in no doubt that if it was 52/48 the other way we'd still be talking about it right now.

The joy of referenda :)

11. Nasher

Capodecina

Those votes get botted to death. Especially back then when it was still quite new.

12. garnett

Mobster

Well, Brexit followed by immediate "EU associate" status conferring all rights and responsibilities as UK EU membership currently confers, while giving Brexiteers "Double-strength Brexit" - giving them Devon and Cornwall, which is permitted to leave the EU entirely, with a dividing wall to be built twice as high as they want, and stopping migration in twice as many directions as they clamoured for etc etc"

That would have got my vote in a heart beat.

13. chroniclard

Capodecina

Evidence or feels?

14. Bounce

Wise Guy

There's nothing stopping anyone from signing it more than once. Just put another name different email address in?

15. chroniclard

Capodecina

You feel actual people are sitting there voting more than once and confirming their email more than once?

16. VincentHanna

Capodecina

17. Bounce

Wise Guy

It wouldn't surprise me, some people go to extreme lengths just to get heard.

People have gone to much higher efforts just to be heard, I.e protesting all day outside Parliament, Gina Miller spending money on a court case?

This in comparison requires a lot less effort, and easy to do, make up a name, make up an email address tick box 'I am UK Citizen' just duplicate till it reaches a point the Government has to respond.

18. Murphy

Mobster

So after all the evidence that this isn't true you still believe it? Why is that?

19. chroniclard

Capodecina

You have to actually click a link in the received email before a vote is counted you would actually have to create loads of email addresses.

There may well be a tiny portion of fake voting just as all the leave petitions(which got millions less votes) would have some fake votes.

20. Mr Badger

Soldato

So you're sticking with the "anything I do not like is fake news" position.