1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Marmot

Wise Guy

Sounds cool, I want to play!

2. 413x

Capodecina

There is no happy ending here.

Another referendum and likely remain vote , will leave the left over brexiteers fuming

A no deal will be devistating, and brexiteers will still blame the EU

A deal will please no one. It literally the middle ground. Its probably the best to pacify people, but we will still be worse off.

3. Mr Badger

Soldato

Brexit. It started badly, tailed off in the middle and the less said about the ending the better...

4. a1ex2001

Capodecina

at least if a remain vote comes in and article 50 is revoked we will no longer have the smoking gun or Brexit day hanging over us and these endless tedious rounds of trying to negotiate the impossible. Yes those still supporting brexit will feel aggrieved and will likely to continue to push for leaving the EU, I would expect in the short term at least to see a bounce in support for the Brexit Party who knows Nigel may even finally get elected as an MP? The fall out from this which ever way we go is going to last a long time but at least if we remain we won't have done anything it is impossible to reverse unlike if we leave.

5. Jono8

Caporegime

Who said anything about representing themselves?

I said they must do what they think is right for the UK (not themselves).

The will of the people mantra is just tosh. It doesn't mean the government should just do anything that the majority wants.

6. Marmot

Wise Guy

We really need to revamp the education system after all this is over and done with.

The general population is incredibly ignorant, and it's AMAZING to think that we had a general-public vote on a subject as important as this THREE YEARS AGO when the majority of people still can't even describe the role of the European Union today in 2019!

Let's revoke A50, take the Brexiteer arguments down in writing and come back in ten years. If Turkey are now members of the EU, we've been forced to join the Euro, our armed forces is controlled by Brussels, the London Stock Exchange has been sold to Berlin, or we're able to demonstrate clear and robust analysis which points to EU freedom of movement affecting quality of life in the UK - then let's do it again.

Let's not make decisions based on what Wetherspoons bloke, that guy off Dragon's Den, an ex-football-hooligan turned investigative reporter, or any of the equally cretinous remainers convince you during a televised debate. Serious, irreversible decisions with profound impacts on the livelihoods of the population shouldn't be taken by uneducated individuals who's driving force behind Box A or Box B is "that bloke can talk louder/better than that bloke" or "life's crap I want someone to blame".

What the hell is going on?

7. JeditOjanen

Mobster

No, they're not. A lot more people are going to suffer than just the Leavers who are poor.

8. Jono8

Caporegime

Oh well.

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

I'm open to being corrected but from what I can see that will be mostly seething on Facebook and the likes, quite happy to advocate other people get out there physically protesting but loath to actually do it themselves, while still unable to put forward a coherent argument as to why we should leave the EU and repeatedly going over minor points that are ultimately of lesser consequence in the big picture. I have little sympathy.

10. robgmun

Capodecina

You won't be saying "Oh Well" when the backlash happens. You saw what happened with the Brexit party when Brexit was on the verge before Boris took over the Tories

11. StriderX

Capodecina

The backlash with the economic damage the PM's current plan or No deal, will be worse. (governments own data, and no i wont listen to unicorn futures)

Taking the best of the worst options is ultimately all we have and it's clearly the one that doesn't mean economic damage as well as angry people.

So yes it is "Oh well", because the frothers wont disappear in any event, no point in pandering to them and losing prosperity at the same time, just so they can use the economic damage as a pretext for further froth.

12. Rroff

Man of Honour

Their results at the European elections (which no one really cared about) didn't hold up at local constituent re-elections though.

13. inogen

Mobster

More like a load of old codgers with the hump and some skinhead ****heads causing trouble. Oh the outrage.

14. bayo000

Mobster

On one hand there's a possibility of proven terrorists to restart attacks in NI/ UK and on other hand we have elderly moaners on internet threatening with violence......

15. Jono8

Caporegime

I would rather have a few angry brexit supporters moaning and posting rubbish on on twitter than have the economic damage of leaving the EU.

The risk of terrorism reigniting in Ireland is far more worrying than keyboard warriors posting falsehoods on Facebook as well.

16. ron3003

Wise Guy

Nobody's going to be posting anything on either of those platforms when you've no electricity.

17. Jono8

Caporegime

:D

18. Stretch

Capodecina

Project fear!

19. FishFluff

Soldato

Just like the fabled stopped clock, ron3003 chips in with something that might turn out to be correct. Consider me flabbergasted.

20. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Will as many people rock up as they did for Nigel's brexit march? Leavers seem to make a lot of noise, vote in the European elections (ironic) and not a lot else.