1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. StriderX

Capodecina

What? They aren't being convicted because... they lost?

It's more the fact that even with bigger rallies on the remain supporting side it seems any rally that is leave supporting descends into criminality, i don't need to look far for evidence... but i will if you want me to.

2. Hotwired

Soldato

What's the problem? If the will of the people is worth holding up as a mandate and is as rock solid as a mandate should be it should confirm for all unbelievers that the will of the people supports leaving the EU at any cost as Boris is going for.

Unless you're scared that the will of the people in 2019 is not reflective of the referendum in 2016 in which case that would ruin the dreams of leaving the EU.

Well we'd need a referendum wouldn't we. Our responsible representatives in parliament are in majority unhappy with what Boris is up to and a referendum (not a GE) would easily illuminate how representative that really is of the population.

But there's the "will of the people" and the actual will of the people and if you think your position is actually trash you don't want to check in a referendum because you fear the result destroying you and your political ambitions.

3. dowie

Caporegime

Eh? Thats how a government gets elected at the moment - there was no "stated aim" there I'm just pointing out that any other Brexit would need to essentially still have this WA thus your point is a bit moot.

4. dowie

Caporegime

So should we have a 4th and a 5th referendum and so on etc..?

It isn't like this hasn't been discussed already in this thread and the previous ones(s)...

5. StriderX

Capodecina

The point isn't moot, until such a time that it matters, we're still stuck with this parliament and i'm bored of hearing of elections that are undoubtedly in one parties favour because the system is rigged for that outcome.

I'm entirely happy for Brexit to occur, as long as it destroy's Labour completely, but that seems doubtful.

6. Caracus2k

Soldato

That lines a harder one to justify now that Boris came back from the EU with a deal his opponents claimed he never would.

Its not leaving at any cost if you come back promoting a transitional arrangement now is it?

7. StriderX

Capodecina

Nobody expected him to throw NI under the bus after saying a year ago he wouldn't... The Irish Sea border deal has been on the table since the start, it's not "new" and even contradicts two pieces of legislation people in this government put up to stop it.

8. dowie

Caporegime

You wanted no deal Brexit the other day - are you upset that Boris got a deal agreed with the EU?

9. StriderX

Capodecina

No as it'll just take another year and we No deal anyway, the ERG aren't happy for no reason.

10. NiCkNaMe

Mobster

I'm all for re running, however where do you stop? And when would you ever get forward progression if you re rum significant votes every few years to guage temperature?

Seems to me like you'd prefer a dictatorship with a leader who conformed with your opinion only...

11. StriderX

Capodecina

Just state that EU votes will occur ever X years, it's not difficult. Depends on if the inevitable amendment occurs next week however.

12. dowie

Caporegime

So is that still what you want - no deal? Albeit only quasi no deal as we'd have a WA agreement signed if it occurred that way.

I mean a few posts back you were on about a fair Brexit yet previously you seemed to want no deal Brexit instead?

13. Murphy

Mobster

And yet despite people constantly pointing that out to him/her (s)he still believes it's everyone else who's acting in bad faith and nobody understands him/her. Dowie just wants to take over the thread and drown out reasoned debate by spamming this thread with his/her inane nonsensical arguments, in excess of 60 posts yesterday and over 140 today, someone has developed an unhealthy obsession.

14. dowie

Caporegime

Calling my arguments inane and nonsensical after you quoted me multiple times, threw in various personal attacks and were just trying to argue semantics/avoided actually arguing your point is rather dubious @Murphy.

15. JRS

Capodecina

You mean, like those general elections we hold every few years? Those kind of significant votes that gauge the temperature of the electorate on who they want leading them? ;)

16. StriderX

Capodecina

Who cares what i want, I just like the rattled cage tbf.

17. dowie

Caporegime

I was just asking what your position was - you said you voted leave because you wanted Scottish independence - you seemed to be cool with no deal too... but in the post above you didn't seem to be?

18. StriderX

Capodecina

I can hold diametrically opposed positions if i wish, i'm discussing it from the point of view from a rational person in the UK would want things done, even regardless of Brexit, surely what's best for the country is to work in an objective manner.

It doesn't really stop my other desires to be fair, as i've said it's a matter of time, not if and no deal just hastens it, which would be cool, but unnecessary.

19. Hotwired

Soldato

Why are you unhappy or confused.

The mandate for leaving the EU should be rock solid and genuinely have the support of the majority of the country.

I am perfectly happy to see change of membership on the basis of a rock solid mandate and an unquestionable majority of the country.

Are you scared that 2016 was a populist flash in the pan and doesn't exist anymore?

Have faith in the will of the people. A referendum is no big deal considering the financial losses we've been having ever since this started.

Seems to me you're false flagging yourself as being all for another referendum and then comparing it to wanting to be on the winning side of a dictatorship.

What I wrote to dowie is identical for you.

And yes, as has been said to you, we do have votes every few years to elect responsible persons to make important decisions on our behalf, for centuries in fact.

The same ones who right now think Boris is full of **** in fact.

20. dowie

Caporegime

Well it might be clearer if you were to say whether it was your position or if you were just arguing some hypothetical position. I mean if I came into the thread tomorrow morning throwing in a bunch of pro remain arguments people might well ask questions.