1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. ultralaser

Hitman

So I think we need a single party (or coallition) with sufficient numbers to convincingly pass legislation either way. At the moment, we're in a complete stalemate because neither side have a large enough majority to either stop or finialize Brexit.

I honestly think Labour are withholding a GE becuase they believe they will lose, particuarly if there's some agreement between the Brexit party and the conservatives. At the moment (especially in the North of England) we see MPs voting against the majority of the constituants views in the refferendum - a GE is likely to unlock that if the aforementioned Brexit Party / Conservative agreement can be made.

Personally I think we'll be in this stalemate situation until another GE is held, and if the conversative / Brexit Party agreement isn't sucessful, there's no clear way forward at all.

2. silvagti

Wise Guy

I agree. Another election will just lead to years of bickering and indecision regardless of the outcome.

This needs a second referendum with two options.

A) Revoke Article 50

or

B) Boris's deal.

Only then will we be able to move on.

3. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

That is the only realistic solution.

4. delta0

Mobster

This is the reason Labour have not supported the GE as they know they would lose. This is compounded by the fact that we are into colder months with more rain which is expected to hurt labour more. Once the deal passes next week they will have no option and will have to fight a GE.

5. ultralaser

Hitman

The problem is that there's currently no way either of those options will get through this parliment.

6. a1ex2001

Capodecina

It will be close if it is tabled and labour whip it the outcome would depend on the ex tories and the DUP.

i think plenty of MP’s will see it as a convenient way to wash there hands if it and leave the responsibility with the electorate.

7. Murphy

Mobster

Never going to happen then. ;)
    And get accused of not respecting democracy? Never going to happen when they can just kick the can down the road and make it a problem for the next government to deal with.

8. antijoke

Caporegime

no it won’t, it will lead to a Tory win with a majority and then they can do what they want.

9. silvagti

Wise Guy

It'll be interesting to see how the EU respond. Do they act of the wishes of the UK Primeminister to go ahead with the deal even though it's in direct contradiction to what the UK parliament has requested?

Presumably they'll put parliament's letter requesting an extension before the wishes of the prime minister? Politically it would create a lot of ill will if the EU signed off on Johnson's deal without the support of parliament.

10. a1ex2001

Capodecina

It was close the last time MO’s voted on it and that was without a labour whip and before Boris kicked out half his party.

I don’t think MP’s are so dull as to believe that more democracy somehow means less democracy. A second vote has an entirely different question and should have been written into the first vote but old Dave was too cocky.
    ie.
    First vote do you want us to investigate leaving?
    Second vote (only if first vote said yes) we have now negotiated the best leave we can do you still want to go?

this is exactly what other nations have done when asking the public important questions and is more democratic as it gives the public the final say not parliament.

11. silvagti

Wise Guy

I'm not convinced they'll get a majority, especially the way Johnson is behaving, but with the current state of labour and the lib dems you might be right.

12. antijoke

Caporegime

the public won’t care how he’s behaving, the polls all show the tories still having a lead and grouping them all together (yes it’s not concrete I know) would look like giving them a majority of 78.

i wouldn’t be surprised at that support being because he’s playing a blinder by coming across as trying to get a deal done and everyone else frustrating the process throwing in amendments here there and everywhere.

you can argue it’s wrong but it’s what he’d fight his election on and would win.

13. LOAM

Capodecina

But it falls down when FPTP voting system allows for 35% of the electorate to dictate the outcome. It's a singular point that needs addressing, we don't want national policy mixing with brexit. An election is an unsafe way to decide brexit.

14. Evangelion

Capodecina

The Tories would win no matter what Johnson did. Labour is weaker than the tea in a greasy spoon.

15. thenewoc

Soldato

And the people give it that power through the mandate that individuals have stood for election. It therefore can't simply do as it likes.

16. thenewoc

Soldato

Each party will be clarifying what it's standing on through their manifesto or election promises so not sure what's not to understand about that. Each voter is free to exercise their vote in the way they choose, for some it will be the headline issue of Brexit and for others maybe some other burning issue that is dear to them. Overall it establishes what's most important to the electorate and thus serves perfectly.

17. thenewoc

Soldato

Not sure Conservatives or Labour can really stand behind any unified position, to be fair.

18. Usher

Mobster

Can someone explain how an independent Scotland could rejoin the EU? seeing as they border with England and the complication caused by NI border then how would the EU allow them to rejoin with an open border?

19. thenewoc

Soldato

He's complied with the law that compelled him to send 'the' letter requesting an extension. It is however as I understand it the PM's jurisdiction to negotiate treaties so unless that power is somehow removed from him he doesn't have to agree to an extension if one is offered as Art.50 requires both parties to agree to an extension. If the HoC wish to pursue overriding the PM then the right way about that is to succeed with a VONC resulting in a GE with a fresh mandate.

20. Dolph

Man of Honour

You still haven't read the Benn act then?