1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. inogen

Mobster

No, I mean, if it's still what the majority of people want, 3 years later, then let's see some evidence.

Measure twice.

There's nothing but fear of overturning the original result that makes that a bad idea for anybody.

2. dowie

Caporegime

Lol that’s such a weak argument and in that case why not a third and a fourth and a fifth? Shall we have one every three years from now on?

Though it’s total BS, it’s just an attempt at a re-run and if remain win in a second then that will supposedly be the final say.

3. inogen

Mobster

Fine, let's have a third, fourth and a fifth.

If anyone can get a more popular deal out of the EU than the one we currently have, let's go for it. Let's have one every 10 years. Or have one before any new major treaty is signed.

I am not at all suggesting a re-run. That would be idiotic and the suggestion that I am is strawmanning. I'm suggesting that we, as an electorate, have the final say on "the deal". Which is actually a new treaty. Let's start off as we mean to go on.

Literally, the only reason why that that could be considered a bad idea, is fear of the result. You're scared of it. You think enough people have begun to think that Brexit itself is a bad idea. And it shows.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  4. FishFluff

Soldato

If you ever try to close a document you've working without saving first would you just accept losing your work ("will of the people!") or would you perhaps prefer a dialog box asking if you're sure? I used to think you were an intelligent poster, but I'm starting to accept I might be wrong on this one.

5. dowie

Caporegime

Fine, so the second referendum in 7 years time then...

6. inogen

Mobster

We still won't have negotiated the trade agreement. You do realise that don't you?

This will go on for decades and will economically ruin our country.

7. JeditOjanen

Mobster

No, he isn't. The EU was created to prevent a return to 1939, the second wave was to prevent a return to 1963. I might agree that it was an expansion too far, but the most likely alternative was the former Soviet states realigning with or being absorbed by Russia.

No; the reason the public turned against the Eastern bloc countries was because Farage and his fellow fascists told lies.

8. krooton

Caporegime

I may have found a loophole!

Lets all vote on if we want to re-run the referendum.

If not, we carry on as we are.
    If yes, have a legally binding ref this time with clear options.

That way you can't use the "keep rerolling until we get it 'right'" rhetoric, as rather than democracy being overturned unfairly, we get to democratically decide on whether to overturn past democratic mandates. :D

9. StriderX

Capodecina

That is essentially what a hung parliament implies, but the handwringers will be out in force with their "but actually!".

10. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Capodecina

Careful I am not sure its fair to call all fascists liars, I am sure some are very nice people

11. Martini1991

Caporegime

It's not a re run though.

It's a different referendum of the deal on the table or revocation.

It'll be the end of it if it's remain because they'd have rejected the deal and therefore Brexit. It'll be the end of the leave/remain arguement if the deal wins the referendum too.

12. malachi

Sgarrista

He would turn round and say that BS.

Those against the EU were against it from the start. Way before Eastern European former communist countries joined.

13. dowie

Caporegime

You don’t know that.

14. chroniclard

Capodecina

I'm sceptical the majority of people actually gave two hoots about the EU before Farage et all started causing trouble.

15. banbom44

Gangster

Nothing fascist about being worried about the level of immigration from poor countries putting strains on social housing and the NHS and taking jobs off British people.

16. garnett

Soldato

Nothing fascist.

Nothing cogent or supported by reality either.

17. StarShock

Wise Guy

yeah, the fascists aren't worried about that, they are just happy to say that to scare useful idiots into supporting them

18. banbom44

Gangster

That's your opinion but the biggest thing why people voted for Brexit was immigration in people's minds they think its too high the mistake that Brexiteers made was lumping all immigration together and blaming it all on the EU when the vast majority of immigration to this country comes from outside the EU I think they are in for a shock when we leave and the immigration figures are still high.

19. chroniclard

Capodecina

Which jobs do you think EU nationals are taking from British citizens?

20. Cern

Mobster

There's lots of stuff that's been blamed on the EU that people will eventually realise, after Brexit, was actually the fault of domestic government policies, failure to apply existing EU legislation and rules properly or straight up 'Euro myths'. But the blame game will continue for some time to come because it's easier to scapegoat a relatively faceless supra-national body than to admit the fault lies closer to home.