1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. ron3003

Wise Guy

Really? Remainers?

2. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

We all know the demographics.

3. garnett

Mobster

I agree. The Brexiteers will always serve as unwitting traitors, vulnerable to being duped into harming our country by those who interests are benefited... And Remainers will continue to act based on evidence and fight for the UK's best interests... But at least the latest calamity will have been averted, and there'll be a spell of time where, if the country is wise, we can funnel some money (saved by Remaining) into education so that hopefully fewer people are likely to get mugged next time round.

4. Sleepery

Sgarrista

Social media needs to be robustly legislated and so do the newspapers. The process of creating a fact-proof brexiteer is practically the same as is used to radicalise terrorists; gradually moving their reality to the extreme end of the spectrum using targeted advertising, state propoganda, charismatic leaders and online spaces where dissenting voices don't exist.

5. Rossi~

Capodecina

Anyone who has seen the good outside the cave would have no interest in ruling the prisoners inside the cave.

6. malachi

Sgarrista

Problem is, the barrier for entry to get into those sectors now is unnecessary high in the UK, when those high requirements wasn't there 20 to 30 years ago.

Expensive degrees and further education after that. Then MAYBE you get a job in one of those sectors and its long hours for crap pay. Especially in the NHS due to non stop cuts. Puts the average Brit off.

When other EU countries, degrees are cheap or free then they come to work in the UK because they don't know any better. What we would call rubbish working conditions and crap pay. They would happily do.

From my personal experience. The IT sector in the UK is rubbish, stupid high requirement for 19K to 22K a year......what?!!!? The UK no longer invests in IT like it once did, which is a shame.

That's why I moved.

7. StarShock

Wise Guy

8. Mr Badger

Soldato

9. Sleepery

Sgarrista

Kier Starmer's quote in response to that is absolute class:

“Johnson either doesn’t understand the deal he negotiated, or isn’t telling the truth. Probably both”.

10. Rilot

Don

I thought of a law that is imposed on us by the EU that we might be able to get away from if we leave. This is a first for me. See, trying to keep optimistic.

The Tobacco Products Directive requires that all vaping tanks be limited to 2ml, and all vape devices to carry a warning that the product contains nicotine even when it doesn't - such as a coil or a tank or a battery. Stupid set of regulations. We voted for them though so I doubt anything will change.

11. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

It is a pity that they have been in power for years and could have done this if they wanted. It is not as if the NHS crisis only happened this years.

12. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Lets not forget the coalition government reduced the numbers of trainee nurses by 6000 per year. So we probably have about 60k immigrants now just from that single cut.

13. Sleepery

Sgarrista

I probably sound like a broken record at this stage, but if it's an EU law, then the UK had a say in implementing it, it wasn't 'imposed'.

14. Rilot

Don

Bad choice of words. I was trying to be ironic.
    The UK government voted for the legislation by the way.

15. Sleepery

Sgarrista

Ah, fair enough. It jumped out at me cos the guy who used to sit beside me at work had his catch fire one day while he was charging it :D

16. StriderX

Capodecina

https://www.checkout.ie/retail/euro...ropean-tobacco-products-directive-eutpd-11517

Simply a case of as per usual, not actually involving ourselves, we could have been far more vocal about policies and directions the EU was agreeing to, instead we voted in Farage and his mental cases to more often than not, simply be absent from the whole thing.

This isn't just a UK problem either, it's most EU countries with low EU election turnout, not really caring about the whole thing and wondering why things the way they are...

Instead of expanding voting power (making steadfast friends other than Ireland and the Netherlands), we chose to insulate ourselves while not really complaining beyond voting in idiots.

17. loftie

Hitman

Grans application to EU settlement doesn't have enough evidence apparently. Needs to provide 5 years continuous evidence that she's been in the country. Odd considering

a)she's been here since the 50s paying taxes
    b)been withdrawing a pension for ~20 years
    c)granted indefinite leave to enter, IIRC, in the 70s.

Epic.

18. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

May's Home Office culture has not changed, expect a dawn raid by Immigration officials.

19. neviditelny

Wise Guy

With nurses and doctors I'm all for anyone that can fill a position would be welcome. We got about 40k vacancies for nurses in UK, and I think it is aroudn 10k for doctors... And it will not be getting better considering upcoming retirees, dropping numbers at uni, decrease of nurses coming from Europe etc...

20. neviditelny

Wise Guy

With barrier to entry I can say it is not that high for nursing. Problem is that a lot of people applying for nursing don't seem to realise what it actually means to be a nurse. And there is a huge drop out of student nurses as well. I was supposed to start my Band 4 training in January (Foundation Degree level) and when we had the interviews we had to do a literacy and numeracy test. On the numeracy test we had to score 50% correct answers, yet a huge number of people failed that test...