1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Murphy

Wise Guy

You mean we still have principles, respect, and that we're doing things that are acceptable? ;)

2. doodah

Capodecina

Andrea Leadsome you sneaky so and so. Governments run risk assessments all the time, an idiot knows that no deal would cause damage to the UK economy. You're just trying to hide this.

Yellowhammer supposedly states the most likely scenario, they lied about it being out of date. This should not be allowed to stand.
    Keeping a close eye on the likes of Hancock and Javid and the other leading candidates who decided to a government job was better than any conviction or morals; the former drinking the cool aid yesterday with his 'most energised cabinet meeting ever' tweet. Do they really want to continue with this sinking/burning/radiated ship?

Edit - @chrismscotland, agreed. It will come out eventually and whilst it might be too late in some situations, it will eventually prove they are lying scumbags.

3. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

Its high time that someone with access to the full document quietly passes it to the media, if the true extent of Yellowhammer is so bad that they're scared of releasing it then that should be made public - its time to stop the madness.

4. dowie

Caporegime

Well with Cummings playing the Rasputin role then so long as they're not legally obliged to follow it there are probably good odds of some brown stuff going everywhere!

5. manic111

Capodecina

That's not correct. Once the Court rules, it's binding on the government, that's the whole purpose of judicial review. If the government thinks that a decision is incorrect, then it is entitled to pass statute effectively overruling that decision, but the reality of this government getting legislation like that through seems slim.

FWIW I think the Supreme Court will affirm the High Court's decision and that this is not a question on which the Courts have standing, though.

6. ianh

Mobster

If the Scottish courts have said effectively "Boris lied to the Queen so her decision was made based on a lie and is therefore not legal" have those Scottish courts actually asked the Queen to give evidence on what Boris said to her, which they've then based "Boris lied" statement upon, or are they making a wild guess based on no evidence at all?

Either way its a mess as either they have proof Boris lied (and should publish it) or they have no proof for their accusation so they themselves are liars.

7. StriderX

Capodecina

Three of the highest judges in the most respected/one of the most respected court system in the world, is not going to sully that by lying.

N10 was forced to release documents to the court, so seemingly the narrative in them has made the court judge against the government. The Queen need not give evidence for this to be accurate, as it's mostly the executive that deals with it, the crown merely signs it.

8. doodah

Capodecina

I am more inclined to believe judges rather than Boris/this government, the latter has proven there is no bottom when it comes to lies.

And now No10 is saying they judges are impartial, no irony lost in our own government breaking up this union and millions of low information people thinking it's the EU that are trying to do so or take control.

9. Stretch

Capodecina

10. Greebo

Caporegime

So assume tomorrows headlines in some of our toxic papers will be pictures of these judges with the words "Traitors" underneath?

11. Murphy

Wise Guy

That maybe the case in other countries but the power of judicial review are very limited in the UK, they can rule against secondary legislation but not primary for instance, how prerogative powers relate to judicial review i have no idea.

Agree with your FWIW.

12. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

It's a bit pathetic to be calling it nationalist rhetoric when you've been banging on about Greece in posts previously.

The native people built the system, paid in to it. If they see large numbers of people using the system without paying in to it at all then its a mathematical fact that the system is going to strain to cope. It's not a time to start attacking the native population.

And I don't think Greece should be talking about scourges, of europe. Many EU countries are propping up the Greek economy because its been handled badly since joining the Euro.

13. robfosters

Caporegime

I’m reserving judgment until the Supreme Court makes it’s ruling.

14. StriderX

Capodecina

Imagine all that hubbub just to be forced back into parliament with no ability to run away, no future government will be such a loser.

Cummings is clearly the smartest man alive.

Once the no deal documents are forced into public opinion and the government forced to comment on it, we'll see how able they are to keep lying, **** Tony Blair and his illegal war, i want this government in bars well before he is.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  15. adidan

Hitman

No doubt the propaganda machine will be in overdrive. I expect 'unelected' to be thrown in there too.

I'm just glad somebody somewhere is doing their job.

16. bayo000

Mobster

Won't surprise me if they call them foreign as well or something to that effect.

17. adidan

Hitman

Probably use it as a call to eject Scotland from the UK.

Things are crazy enough for somebody to suggest that.

18. StriderX

Capodecina

I'm sure the "totally not a racist" Boris is not at all mentioning how "Scottish" they are, in fact i'd love it if he did, it would incense people.

19. StarShock

Wise Guy

I mean they definitely are European :p

Though I do think its only a matter of time before they decide that Boris is the wrong horse to back and throw him under the bus.

20. Greebo

Caporegime

You have to wonder if the current cabinet who decided to back BJ are asking themselves whether they should have backed Hunt instead...