1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Nasher

Capodecina

Especially the companies which tell staff not to discuss wages. I once enjoyed dropping that grenade right before I left, others in the room realised I was getting more for the same job and it kicked off. Hated that company :D

2. Martini1991

Caporegime

Do the deals on the table marry up to their reasons for voting for leave?

I get that there's specific reasons that in isolation are "valid". But they're not really ground in reality.

Corbyn for example would love to get rid of some of the red tape towards his state ownership ideals. But when taken as whole it could damage the country in ways that are counter productive to his aims etc.

3. Bounce

Wise Guy

Hahaha :D

Businesses should be fair on pay, unfortunately alot aren't.

I know someone who was earning 10k more than the same guy on his team with no more responsibilities or experience.

4. RDM

Capodecina

As there are no actual deals on the table yet, just a withdrawal agreement, it would be hard to say.

5. Martini1991

Caporegime

That's just ever so pedantic.

6. RDM

Capodecina

You may think it is pedantic, but it is the truth. Until we know what the final deal actually looks like we will have no real idea what our future relationship will look like. The withdrawal agreement doesn't even touch on what a final deal looks like.

It doesn't determine customs arrangements, free trade arrangements, ability to make external trade deals, basically all the stuff that will actually determine if the UK can make any sort of success out of Brexit. All we have at the moment are details on how we get to the next stage and what aspirations there are from both sides.

7. jimjamuk

Mobster

Haha he has a point though

8. Martini1991

Caporegime

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I'm not coining the word "deal" out of the air. I trust you take the same stance when Boris say's he's secured a new deal then?

9. RDM

Capodecina

Entirely, it is a complete load of rubbish. It is basically May's withdrawal agreement but with a slightly different way of dealing with the Irish border problem. Any "deal" Corbyn gets will likely be the same.

10. Martini1991

Caporegime

There's no Irish border problem in the UK when there's no Ireland in the UK.
    I agree with your sentiments about JC as well.

11. Quartz

Sgarrista

Anyone care to summarise the Jonson vs Corbyn TV debate? I missed it - my niece's birthday celebrations being much more important.

12. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

Labour are going to kill all the fishes.

13. Rroff

Man of Honour

Bland - Corbyn boring and stuffy but coming over as having a little more substance, Boris boisterous but more restrained than he has been. Neither really said anything new - Corbyn had a couple of good burns against the Tories over austerity and coalitions and Boris made some committed remarks about how the NHS wasn't up for sale.

EDIT: Was a couple of bits on Scotland that might be of interest to you but neither really sold it as anything more than words - Corbyn talked about investing 70bn in Scotland that they'd been denied under the Tories or something and refuted any kind of coalition with Sturgeon while Boris was mostly a touch abrasive and something about them being better as part of the UK or something.

14. Quartz

Sgarrista

Thanks. The NHS was never up for sale anyway. But it sounds like I didn't miss much.

15. Rroff

Man of Honour

I forgot - looking at your location some of the stuff on Scotland might be of interest to you - some of it being newish information. I can't remember the exact details off the top of my head.

16. Quartz

Sgarrista

Corbyn really is spaffing the money around (so are the Tories, mind). The chances of me voting for Wee Kelpie are nil, and I did vote Labour in 2015, so such firmness on his part is a good sign.

17. Martini1991

Caporegime

He also said that no conservative government should ever vote for his version of getting rid of the backstop before he did it.

18. Quartz

Sgarrista

D'oh! I meant to put the debate question in the election thread, not the Brexit thread. D'oh!

19. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

How will climate change drastically impact their quality of life? Let's say over the next 5 to 10 years. Could you give some examples?

20. JeditOjanen

Mobster

No, he's suggesting that your brother who is an accountant on a grade E5 salary is on the same rate as everyone else whose job is graded E5, no matter what that job is. Nasher is not often correct, but in this case he is 100% on the money and you should listen to him.