1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. kindai

Soldato

Congratulations remainers. You had years to work towards something positive, but instead, used 3 years to moan and cry and try and overturn the result.

Last night you gave away any chance you had and now you get a full Boris Brexit and nothing you can do about it now.

Cant help but say, I told you so.

2. montymint

Mobster

Don;t forget the tories had the same amount of time to get us a better deal and they ****** that up the wall too. Had the deal been better than what we had Brexit would have been done by now.

3. Nasher

Capodecina

The more they tried, the further it slipped away. Because they used cults/activists like "momentum" and that kind of thing doesn't fly with the British people.

4. neoboy

Capodecina

Facts generally don't fly with many people.

5. Things change I've changed

Capodecina

Corbyn screwed us, just wasn't a strong enough leader/character, and thought he could just sit on the fence, the pillock.

6. Shocky-FM

Mobster

I've been telling people since the Labour u-turn on Brexit they would lose overwise safe seats and it happened almost exactly as predicted. I'm at loss as to how people thought Labour stood a chance, some were even deluded enough to believe the LilDems stood a chance.

Lots of vile social media comments from remainers who still can't accept reality, social media networks need to deal with the problem, or maybe they'ree selectively ignoring them because it suits their political views.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  7. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

The best thing(and only thing) is that Farage gets kicked out of his seat in Europe and his next new party(after UKIP, BXP), will get so few votes he will disappear from our screens.

8. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Heard from a politics Prof on the TV that the way our system works Boris will probably be in for ten years. The only silver cloud for Labour is that the Tories will not be able to claim they were responsible for the mess that follows.

9. neoboy

Capodecina

Farage made enough pretty penny out of this whole thing to not really care now.

EDIT: Phone auto correct corrections

10. Things change I've changed

Capodecina

I will be applying for dual nationality after Christmas, thank God for my Grandad, he stayed in this country after fighting for it's freedom but never claimed British nationality, I think he was right not to trust this country in the end and stick with his Polish nationality.

11. Shocky-FM

Mobster

Farage looked pleased with himself when he was questioned after the exit poll. I hope we don't see him again because that would mean Brexit was being delivered. :)

12. dowie

Caporegime

Problem for the opposition is that any obvious chaos from Brexit could well be short term. Give the Tories 10 years and that’s plenty of time to make a success of it without further meddling from remainers.

13. JRS

Capodecina

If any good* comes of the result last night, it's that Leavers now do get to own this fully. Can't bang on about Remainer parliaments any longer. Time to get to work.

Not quite sure what y'all will do if it all blows up in our faces, mind. But hey, we'll cross that bridge as and when we get to it.

* - not just this of course. Hopefully the other bit of good is that it finishes the Corbyn experiment off and gets Labour back onto a vaguely sensible footing. Going to need an effective opposition to hold this government to account, especially over Brexit.

14. Journey

Soldato

People are still taking the view that Brexit matters or doesn't matter. The mess we'll all end up is due to a significant shift in the global economy that is just around the corner, don't start kidding yourselves that all that matters is the U.K. or the EU etc. It is not, the EU economy, the Chinese economy, and the U.S. economy are all in for a big drop, and we'll be along for the bumpy ride in our out.

Start looking outside of the box, never-mind thinking outside of it!

15. uncle_rufus

Mobster

All I've seen constantly spammed by all the "woke" remainers and all of the vocal brexiteers online the last few weeks/months is rhetoric to exactly that effect - e.g. "a vote for lib dems is a vote to stop brexit" "vote cons and get brexit done" etc. how much more definitive can you get? Whether or not a GE is the right platform is irrelevant since everyone on every side of this was pretty clearly treating it as such this entire time. You can't now turn around after-the-fact and go "we never considered this a vote to decide if we wanted brexit"

Edit: also 52% vs 48%... hmmm I'm afraid that's not significant enough of a majority to be valid (sound familiar?)

16. Greebo

Caporegime

I have had this debate for weeks. As a tory voter for 30 years and used to be a member I am against Brexit but dislike JC so how was I supposed to vote?

A LD vote is wasted as they barely get their deposit money back where I live with the FPTP system.

17. garnett

Soldato

What a bizarre take.

There was always little to be done to save Brexiteers (and the UK) form themselves, and, given another chance, Brexiteers doubled down on harming the UK and facilitating unBritish intolerance and illiberality, diminishing the UK's reputation and traditional global image.

Personally, that's it, I accept Brexit will go ahead, and it's time to join with the Brexiteer ethos of out-for-ourselves.

I was worried of being accused of not trying hard enough, but yesterday ensured Brexit is fully owned by Brexiteers, and for once they can't shirk responsibility. Best that could be done, and it's achieved.

18. NickK

Capodecina

No ,, I think he had those (most people disliked him)... but the nail in the coffin was the policies and approach to them.

19. NickK

Capodecina

Guildford 2019:
    1. Conservative Angela Richardson
      • Votes:26,317
      • Vote share %:44.9
      • Vote share change:-9.7
    2. Liberal Democrat Zoe Franklin
      • Votes:22,980
      • Vote share %:39.2
      • Vote share change:+15.3
    3. Labour Anne Rouse
      • Votes:4,515
      • Vote share %:7.7
      • Vote share change:-11.3
    Ignoring the others.

It's interesting to see there's not that large a majority.. over 2017 and 2015.. the consecutive rise really means the conservatives are loosing ground to LD. 2021 sees the council elections.. which have shown the swing to LD. Would be interesting to see the 2024 GE results! So all this "land slide .. there's a lot of capture, yes but there's some hidden trends that could worry Cons next time.

Here's the 2015 result..

Conservative, with candidate Anne Milton
    • 30,802total votes taken.
    • 57.1% share of the total vote
    Liberal Democrat, with candidate Kelly-Marie Blundell
    • 8,354total votes taken.
    • 15.5% share of the total vote
    Labour, with candidate Richard Wilson
    • 6,534total votes taken.
    • 12.1% share of the total vote

20. FoxEye

Capodecina

In that case it'll be Labour's fault for not winning the election. Because Corbyn is a terrorist, unelectable, etc.

If Brexit is the worst disaster this country has ever seen, it won't be the Tory's fault nor those who put them in office. Like, obviously.