1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. dowie

Caporegime

Why do you keep on with this obvious misconception - Corbyn took an officially neutral position on Brexit.

How is them offering a second referendum: "promising to deliver Brexit against the will of the people." ???

Why keep on lying to yourself about this?

I'd argue with the premise itself re: the Tories too, we already had a Brexit referendum, they're not governing on the basis of week by week opinion polls in some sort of direct democracy.

2. Entai

Capo Crimine

And there is the important word.

ANY Government should be constantly adjusting its position and policies according to what is going on around them.

EXACTLY like any business adjusts their position and policies as the world changes around them.

NO ONE with any brains just sticks their head in the sand and says, what was agreed THREE years ago is exactly what is right to be doing now.

Any government that just does what it thinks is right, or does anything without constant consultation, is a dictatorship, not a democracy, surely?

3. krooton

Caporegime

That a general election has infinitely more nuances and aspects that influence a voters decision compared to a binary question?

4. Rilot

Don

Well, I have to say that after last night, that's me done. I'll get with the Brexit program and make the best of it.
    Can't stop it now no matter what we do.

5. krooton

Caporegime

Funny how people say it's woolworths/Thomas cooks/etc fault for not adapting and moving with the times, yet treat the referendum as though it has been added to the sacred texts and can never be questioned.

6. Caracus2k

Soldato

It really is comically easy to pick the nonsense you post to pieces....

Evangelion let me reacquaint you with your pre referendum self.......

Because you were calling sources that didnt predict a remain vote 'unrepresentative' and 'random' back then.....

7. Shocky-FM

Mobster

Labour and the LibDems could have settled for Mays deal which was essentially soft brexit, but pushed their luck and are now largely responsible for the very real possibility of a hard brexit and there is now nothing they can do about it.

8. FoxEye

Capodecina

So I guess you really can blame Labour and the LibDems if the Tories bugger this right up?

Good to know.

9. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

I'm with you on that, but unfortunately my focus will be on making sure myself and my family are as well set up as possible for the next few years. I suspect more years of political struggle and divisive media and policy making, I'm going to avoid getting involved and let those who wished for it reap the rewards or otherwise of what they've voted for. Here's hoping the next five years are prosperous for us all.

10. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

Agree to me chopping off your finger or I'll cut off your hand!
    No thanks, I'm going to try to escape.
    Ha ha! I caught you, this is your fault now!
    Help me officer!
    Sorry, you heard the man, this is your fault.

A blunt analogy but I'm pretty tired.

11. FoxEye

Capodecina

I believe that's the true spirit of "One Nation Conservatism", so you will be doing it right ;)

I know it's not what you want, tho.

12. Shocky-FM

Mobster

Yes, they need to accept responsibility for their part in this, this could have been done and dusted if they stuck to their pledge to respect the referendum result. I wasn't happy with Mays deal but if parliament approved it I would have accepted it.

13. McstylisT

Wise Guy

Good day all.

Been reading and watching from the side lines for a while laughing at the silly liberalism mentality on display from the same faces. Over and over like a broken record.

well, I think today is the day. You all wake up and realise you were all wrong. Most people don’t agree with your ideology.
    Most people don’t agree with your liberal one world approach.
    You are a small minority that is descending and getting smaller.
    You are the outcasts, with the likes of Corbyn and swinsloon.

the people have spoke openly, clearly about the desire to have a real and thorough brexit.

Time to deal with it and accept it or move away.

14. FoxEye

Capodecina

I firmly believe we'll wipe ourselves out in the not too distant future, precisely because we can't adopt a "one world" approach.

I look forward to it. And I'm not even joking. I just hope we don't take all other life with us when we go.

Another insight for you into my mind: if there was a button to erase all human life, cleanly, completely and with no consequences for other life forms, I would push it with NO hesitation. NONE. For the greater good. For the planet and for life.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  15. bayo000

Mobster

Brexiteers are showing their class.

16. Shocky-FM

Mobster

Yes, because remainers have shown nothing but class over the last three years.

17. Jono8

Caporegime

Uh oh! Someone hasn't looked at the popular vote numbers!

Popular vote is 50.3% (LAB,LD,SNP,GRN) to 45.6% (CON and BXP).

If you think yesterday was about brexit, a majority of the country voted for a 2nd referendum and/or no brexit.

18. JRS

Capodecina

It really isn't, actually. Cold and pretty damp.

Uh huh.

'The people' have spoken openly and clearly about the desire to not have Jeremy Corbyn in No 10. I think that's about the only thing that is a 100% certainty.

Deal with it, yes - it's happening now, and we get to see if Leaver pronouncements about sunlit uplands were based in reality.
    Accept it, not yet - if it's a great success I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong but until then it's very much a 'wait and see' deal.
    Move away, hell no - this is still my country as well, and I'll be damned if I'll be chased out of it by the likes of you.

19. Shocky-FM

Mobster

You don't know if those votes were based on Brexit alone though, so the percentage means nothing.

If their only objective was to stop Brexit they should have voted Labour, everyone was advised to vote tactically.

20. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

So the people of Scotland voted for a remain party and kicked out half of the Tory MPs and cut Labour down to one MP. They also got rid of the LD's leader. The Tory vote is down 3.5%. How does that fit into your ranting. The people have spoken.