1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Rroff

Man of Honour

I think this election has born out that part - people's refusal to take some responsibility for looking at the bigger picture is largely the reason we are where we are.

2. Shocky-FM

Mobster

Just pointing out the hypocrisy in what you said.

3. Rroff

Man of Honour

Why settle? why accept a deal that goes against fact and reason?

I'm hoping given the new found voice some have got in this thread they will now follow it up with such... or at least admit the truth rather than beating around the bush trying to wrap their opinion up in fact and reason.

4. dowie

Caporegime

We've already had change UK, we already had the Lib Dem's Brexit stance... most of Labour was pro-remain too.

Boris has got a majority for the next 5 years, plenty can happen then - the EU can certainly change/grow closer.

I doubt the prospect of joining the eurozone, Schengen and a rather changed EU will necessarily be too appealing.

In fact you basically need Brexit to be a complete car crash, I think you're going to be rather disappointed when the dust settles and people are wondering what all the fuss was about.

5. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

It is what it is. A positive I'm taking from this election is that actually I was very impressed with the engagement of younger voters. Hopefully they keep their enthusiasm for the democratic process and we can see what happens as the demography changes.

Oddly enough one thing that has struck me, and I didnt expect to feel like this but maybe it's a sign of how draining the last few years have been politically for the public, I feel a sense of calm acceptance that now a decision has been made and we can move forward. It's like a microcosm of what the business and other communities have said about this process, the biggest thing is the decision.

Hopefully the Country can heal some of these divides now we have a clearer path. I seriously doubt the Tories are the right people to lead that healing, but then again when you take the policies out of it have Labour really been an inclusive party over the last few years?

Here's to the future chaps.

6. bayo000

Mobster

If you say so. Anyway even Boris now says it's time to move on.

7. Shocky-FM

Mobster

Not sure if you're serious, do I really need to explain that sometimes in life we need to compromise rather than risk a much worse outcome? I don't think I do so I'm ending the reply here.

8. Murphy

Mobster

What's happened to Mr Stop Brexit!, I've not heard him shouting on any BBC news coverage from Westminster, has he retired now Boris got his majority?

9. One More Solo

Capodecina

Pretty much how I feel too, resigned acceptance and going to save my energy for decisions I can still influence.

10. Entai

Capo Crimine

Very interesting day at work in the aftermath of such a calamity the election proved to be.

Already been told by CEO's and President of four different companies, they are all now finalising the arrangements for moving their companies to mainland Europe.

Will most likely result in minimum of around 18,000to 20,000 jobs lost in the UK, mainly in the Midlands and the North.

Plus whatever losses in companies that supply goods and materials to these four companies.

Our own President said that negotiations have started to shut down the UK branch of out company that will be another 740 people out on the street, our HQ will get moved to Finland.

Just one day into the the path to the "nirvana" of a free and sovreign UK and many of the predictions of doom and gloom are starting to take shape.

Personally I think I'll stake a few grand on the fact that before next Christmas the majority will realise they have ****** up right royally by voting for such a looser, as it starts to hugely affect them personally, very negatively.

11. Purdy

Capodecina

You're describing pretty much humans on a global scale (excluding the importance on the global stage) and a lot of them would've voted Labour also :)

Not this one as much but still fits the bill, your posts are ridden with petty jabs, especially any responding to a left leaning/remainer that you detract from any actual validity or interesting part of your post.

The poster (or numerous others if not this one) you respond to with stuff like 'you'll be disappoitned when the dust settles', I imagine a lot of them would in fact be rather relieved as they are conscious of the impact it could potentially have on their/other's lives, not waiting for some 'gotcha' moment if an economic collapse/NHS sold/human rights issues occur in the UK post Brexit.

12. dowie

Caporegime

How’s that a petty jab? If you want some big push for rejoin then I suspect you will be dissapointed.

Some posters on here have expressed a desire for a disastrous Brexit. In fact some have advocated no deal because it will either “teach people a lesson” or will make an independent Scotland more likely.

I think that’s rather sad tbh...

13. Greebo

Caporegime

Because it wouldn't work. There wasnt 30,000 remainers prepared to vote for LD to oust the local Tory MP as he kept his vote steady made up of probably 50/50 remainers/leavers but outright vote Tory for life voters.

Thats the problem if you try and make a GE into a second referendum. It doesnt work. Just have a second referendum and then a GE to carry out the result.

14. Purdy

Capodecina

You often respond with equal disdain regardless of the poster's intentions, there are plenty of 'the intelorent left' on here but you'd do well to segregate them from people simply holding a different opinion.

Easy to pick you out mind given the volume you've posted in these threads of late, its just rather tiring you keep it going or bait a rise.

15. FoxEye

Capodecina

On that note, I'm really interested to know why Boris's revised WA specifically removed legally binding guarantees on workers rights and environmental standards.

If it's no change, business as usual... why would he open himself up to attack like that for no gain whatsoever?

If he's pushing for no deal then it doesn't matter anyhow, and if he gets a FTA it will likely (almost certainly) include legally binding guarantees that the UK will meet or exceed EU standards. The EU won't accept any FTA that puts them at a disadvantage.

So why on Earth would he want to make that change... it makes no sense.

It's just one example of why people have so little trust in Boris. We don't trust his motives.

16. McManicMan

Soldato

we sadly regret your departure and also invite new opportunities for new growth in our independent country. Some will move, and new growth will replace, life goes on...

17. FoxEye

Capodecina

Or maybe it won't. One is the certainty of his company leaving, the other is the ???? hope that something else of equal value will replace it.

But no explanation is to why someone else will be attracted to come here, unless Boris turns out into a tax-free zone.

18. StriderX

Capodecina

You could perhaps look at the evidence... trade deals with others will only account for 0.4% of GDP vs the EU's 1.8%... assuming the Tories aren't stupid and actually extend the 2020 deadline, then the proportions are even worse.

I guess you could call that opportunity, but it's mostly opportunity for other countries for now and probably a good few years... we're a nation of consumers, first and foremost.

19. dowie

Caporegime

As if there aren't loads of other people posting with distain... including yourself who only seems to pop up when wanting to have a go at me personally... Why not jog on and use the ignore function if it bothers you that much.

20. Hagar

Sgarrista

I expect that your President has considered all the options, implications. I expect he has but maybe there are also disadvantages in parts of Europe with respect to staffing, housing, pay, conditions, travel etc. With reference to businesses, taxation, premises, existing clients etc. Many companies also like the proximity to a major capital city for lifestyle entertainment etc. Not many companies will make a move until all the agreements are in place and all the ramifications known. Maybe your companies case is different and all your clients are overseas.