1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Sankari

Capodecina

LOL, and this is relevant to transatlantic trade agreements how, exactly?

2. Trusty

Capodecina

Which other 2 countries have as stronger relationship as the UK/US? I can't really think of any.

3. Trusty

Capodecina

What are you talking about? Just read the thread

4. Sankari

Capodecina

Israel/US. Compared to that relationship, the UK is just a distant cousin.

5. Greebo

Caporegime

And worst than that is Trump wants a fully aligned TRade deal with them before we do the EU deal. If BJ goes for the US deal first we will be leaving with no deal with the EU at the end of next year.

TTIP+ I can't wait for all the mess that brings., :rolleyes:

6. Greebo

Caporegime

We wont start negotiating our new FTA with the Eu until June and we have until 1st July to ask for an extension. He has one month to get a FTA deal done or gamble that he will get one done in the following 5 months before we crash out with no deal next December. Thats a tall ask.

7. Greebo

Caporegime

Could it? Agriculture is one of the most contentious areas as the US wants us to drop all the problematic EU requirements such as chlorinated chicken, hormone fed beef, country of origin, geographical indication protected status. If we give the US any of them then any trade deal with the EU involving Agriculture then becomes a big issue.

So you either take you choice - comprehensive and good trade with the US or the EU or one with both which doesnt cover most things and isnt very good and added together doesnt amount to what we lost from the EU.

8. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

The right wing media will present it as something else ... a big bag of goodies gifted by the US. Further down the line when people start to realise what it really is the Tories will not be in power and then it will all be Labour's fault. (I am not a Labour supporter)

9. Doobedoo

Wise Guy

Isn't that just how politics has always worked. Whoever is in power messes things up, so you all vote for the other party next time round. Then the other party messes things up, so.... You vote for the other party. Then the other party messes things up and..... Vicious circle of life complete, round and round we go, where will it stop? Nobody knows.

10. Salty22

Hitman

The illusion of choice :(

11. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

And it'll continue until FPTP is dead.

12. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

That kinda bucks against what has actually happened. We've had a decade of hostile austerity from the tories, yet they just won a majority by somehow successfully convincing the public that it was somehow Labour's fault.

13. StriderX

Capodecina

I don't think that's accurate... it might be for some Tory voters, but the rest of the country, rather doubtful. Else they wouldn't haven't won so many votes in 2017.

14. Rroff

Man of Honour

To a degree I think they've managed to convince some of the less intelligent members of the public it is all the EU's fault and that they are the only party to save them from the EU - quite a few of those Northern people who voted the conservatives in seem to be under the impression that the EU is responsible for the death of manufacturing (I kid you not) in their backyard and that come Brexit all those jobs are going to come back as we magically return to being a manufacturing powerhouse...

Nothing to do with cheap labour, etc. in the far east oh no.

15. Trusty

Capodecina

Whats wrong with hormone fed beef?

Australia & Canada seem fine with it.

I only eat beef once a week anyway, so it doesn't bother one bit. I'm doing my bit for the climate :)

Just found this article..
    https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/...-hormone-free-beef-eu-us-agreement-confirmed/

No reason why the UK couldn't agree to import hormone free beef from US farmers, if thats the route they want to go down.

Even if the UK decides it will allow hormone fed beef, we can just change food label rules. Beef which is hormone fed must be clearly marked on the front of the packet.

Allow the consumers to choose.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  16. NickK

Capodecina

I can’t help feel that BoJo has cooled and distanced himself - leaving the impeachable Trump with just Farage as a friend...

17. Greebo

Caporegime

Sadly I know many people who voted leave as they didnt want TTIP and could see how that would destroy some industries in this country. Yet the chances are and even Trump has said it himself that a trade deal is already done -TTIP and that we just need to cross out the EU and write UK, TTIP is exactly what we are going to get with the US.

Dont forget the U.K. government were the ones pushing the eu to take TTIP but luckily other countries saw it was a turd and used their veto

18. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Part of the deal will be to remove the requirement to state country of origin. We already know this. Nobody's going to get the choice because they won't know what they're choosing, and that's even if UK farmers don't have to adopt the same practices to avoid going under entirely.

19. dowie

Caporegime

No you don’t, you just know what one side would like.

20. kitch9

Soldato

Watch the BBC series, Britain's biggest warship to see how the US views us and how the general public there treat our armed forces. The American consumer loves us, stick a Union Jack on a product send over there it will sell and the Americans will be proud to buy it.

Contrast that with the EU market where UK producers actively try to hide country of origin being shown to avoid consumer rejection.