1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Rroff

Man of Honour

Lot of difference though between general public/consumers and the kind of deals, etc. that would be negotiated.

It is a more complex story than that though I'm grossly simplifying something that has a lot more factors and angles to it.

2. kitch9

Soldato

That's because the electorate isn't stupid. The electorate realises there's no such thing as a free lunch and we haven't built back up the reserves labour spent over a decade ago and we've got a massive debt pile to go with it

3. kitch9

Soldato

The US market isn't hostile to us is my point. The EU market is.

Some are scared of the wrong monster.

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

Agreed but that doesn't change my point that big business in the US would treat us very differently versus the EU where it is somewhat tempered none the less by the bigger picture of the EU.

People have this romantic vision of the US/UK partnership but if you look back at various points in the 50s and 70s, etc. I don't have time to go into right now you'll see a different picture when it comes to trade and finance in this context/level.

5. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

Yeah except more than 160 economy experts all agreed labour's budget checked out just fine, yet the tories plans don't, and that the tories austerity plans over the last decade have done nothing but harm the populace. Nothing about it was to "rebuild" anything

But hey, you're not stupid, right?

6. Evangelion

Capodecina

7. Doobedoo

Wise Guy

No labour are a shambles so with labour out of the picture people can/will only vote conservatives. Two choices to make labour or conservatives one is broken the other broken even more. That is democracy in this country vote for the least broken party.

8. dowie

Caporegime

We've had a decade of austerity thanks in part to the financial crisis. The current tory government is planning to increase spending in various areas.

The idea that they're in power because they've somehow convinced the public that austerity was labours fault, or even that austerity was the big factor here just isn't grounded in reality. We already have polls showing that the overwhelming reason for people favouring the Tories over labour is a negative view of the Labour leadership, after that it is Brexit and Labour's planned economic policies.

9. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

Yet to see anything that actually gives evidence to that, beyond "herp derp antisemitism." that is.

10. dowie

Caporegime

That's it, just downplay the antisemitism.... why not throw in something about smears too while you're at it.

Nothing else wrong at all with Comrade Corbyn the IRA's friend with a muddled stance on Brexit for some time and some dubious economic policies... nah it's just antisemitism that we can fault him on.

11. BowdonUK

Mobster

It's amazing how a new election as changed the tone of the EU.

Maybe now we can head to a constructive trade agreement that is mutually beneficial.

12. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

how about someone actually show evidence of the antisemitism first?

13. dowie

Caporegime

Indeed, said this would happen... suddenly Boris has got a fair bit more respect from the European leaders. Might have been nicer not too long ago if they didn't have remainers int he Tory party trying to play tricks and attempt to undermine the renegotiation of the WA but meh...

Brilliant... you're just too far gone it seems.

14. banbom44

Gangster

About time they showed us some respect remember how they treated Theresa May they took the mick out of her it takes Boris to sort it out.

15. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

No evidence then? OK.

16. dowie

Caporegime

Quite the opposite.

It isn't like this is a new news story, rather it is something that has gone on for some time now - it's been widely reported on in national newspapers, there are numerous blog posts on medium about it, it's pretty evident on social media too, there was a panorama episode dedicated to it and whole page on wikipedia documenting various issues... Even Corbyn has apologised for it, yet you're posting as thought you're completely unaware there was even an issue.

I don't believe that you are that ignorant therefore I can only conclude that your posts seemingly feigning ignorance of the issue are deliberately disingenuous - thus my comment that you're too far gone.

I don't believe for one second that you're unable to read the news, go read up on the issue yourself etc...

17. Rroff

Man of Honour

You mean like we already have as part of the EU?

18. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

Any moment now you might post some evidence. Instead of continuing to post ad hominem. Now who was it that repeatedly cries that in this thread?

19. dowie

Caporegime

It wasn’t an ad hominem, you are being disengenuous. Why do I need to post evidence of something that is well documented as I’ve already highlighted and that you’re just pretending doesn’t exist.

What do you think Corbyn apologised for?

20. StriderX

Capodecina

You have a biased view there... May never deserved respect for her duel positions in public and behind closed doors. Only for it to fail after three years to come to anything. She deserved ridicule and the EU was tired of her red-lines.