1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. robfosters

Caporegime

How can I be xenophobic towards myself?

2. Hotwired

Soldato

Is this going to be one of those things where its informally ok for especially brown people to say the N word or Sasha Baron Cohen to do Jew jokes.

As in it only passes casual acceptability if you know who is saying the slur.

3. StriderX

Capodecina

4. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

HYS is interesting on BBC right now. The full blown brexiters are getting quite downvoted.

This one was interesting, when you consider pretty much all the significant movements in regards EU(and predecessor) were Tory things :

Tories:
    * Took us into EU in 1970s
    * Locked us in ERM (precursor to Euro) in 1990 (causing interest rates to rise to 15% in 1992).
    * Signed Maastricht Treaty in 1992 enabling freedom of movement
    * Forced BREXIT ref on us due to in-fighting in Tory Party
    * Spent 3 years messing around with BREXIT.

And yet some people will go herp derp it would be worse with Labour.

The highest rated,although was one of the first :
    "Great day for Leavers. The 17.4m who voted for our democratically elected Sovereign Parliament to take back control of lawmaking, and for independent UK courts to take back control of interpreting law.

Today your wishes have been implemented. Rejoice!" I am not sure i think they see it like that, its selective severeignty they want ;)

5. VincentHanna

Capodecina

You think i'm lying?

His mother signed custody of him over to social services when he was 17. He lived in supported housing in Witham until recently and now he's been placed in a house in Maldon. Usually the house would have two occupants, but because he went in there without anybody else, his social worker has advised him it's likely to just be his house now until he is 21 and that if he works more than 10 hours a week he will be liable for the cost of approx £800, so pretty much advised him not to work.

He even asked them to put new side access in recently, which they did FOC.

6. Werewolf

Commissario

Or they're hearing different arguments under slightly different sets of laws...

The English case was based on a bit of English law, the Scottish case was based on laws that apply to Scotland and possibly additional information.

It's almost like asking two courts to decide on different sets of facts, under different laws can result in different things. It's really weird that.

7. BowdonUK

Mobster

So someone makes a generalised statement that you get incensed by, then you go on to make a generalised statement and think you shouldn't be equally countered?

As for the Greek loans, so what? That's not helping the ordinary greek person who is living with the debt burden of a country mismanaged. We talk about austerity in UK. But it's nothing like the austerity that as become the normal state of affairs in Greece.

As for my NHS example, if a persons family pays in to the system and most people never use it, then if one person in that family become long term sick then its not a burden on the system. But the more people that join the system not having paid in to it, then if anyone gets long term sick its going to temporary be a double financial burden on the system in the short term until the numbers recover.

Are you seriously saying that ALL EU people contribute to the system when any tom, dick or harry can move EU countries. There is no professional or financial high bar when moving between EU countries. Your using the tired old globalist argument that native populations are lazy.

I'm not attacking the EU citizens that move countries and contribute. In my opinion they have as much right to be in that country as anyone else. I'm just sick of hearing the old globalist lie that all native peoples are lazy, and was surprised you used it in your post considering I'm sure its been used against Greek people.

I'm not interested in getting in to an argument with you because I do respect your post about Greece and how you see the situation there. But when you make a generalised point to a specific person you have to be aware that you're not only attacking him, you're attacking many people, and many people might retaliate.

8. robfosters

Caporegime

He definitely sounds like the kind of case they make a priority. If his parent signed him over to social services, that pretty much makes him the councils responsibility.

9. Washout

Wise Guy

Actually, one of the wonderful things about the EU is that as the poorer nations get richer (money sent back/contributions from the EU), the wealthier too see a reciprocal increase in gdp as they have more money to trade with us.
    They eventually then move from being net recipients to contributors. Look at Ireland as a prime example.

You'd have to be remarkably short-sighted to begrudge the relatively small amounts of money spent improving infrastructure etc in poorer areas; that includes areas inside the 'wealthier' countries too - hello large parts of Wales and the South West.

10. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

I did forget that list of people but there was nothing in your original post to suggest he was other than a run of the mill young man for which my post would be true. I was teaching in a school with kids with EBD and even then it was difficult to get them accommodation when they left. Most got into B&B's.

11. Sleepery

Sgarrista

12. garnett

Mobster

Nigeria India, and Pakistan? Probably all in the top 10 countries with whom greater trade and freedom of movement Farage talked about in his "Global Britain" bull**** that persuaded Rob and others to support Brexit.

Yet another example of Brexiteer wherewithal achieving the very opposite of what they set out to achieve.

13. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Poor old farage, number 10 has rejected his pact

And shock horror as I again agree with the Tory party
    "But a senior Conservative source said Mr Farage was "not a fit and proper person" and "should never be allowed anywhere near government"."

I wonder what some of the pro Tory but who voted BP/UKIP think about that ;)

14. inogen

Mobster

For some reason, the Tories have always seen Farage as unpalatable, even when he was a member.

I wonder what it is specifically about him that stands him out from the other despicable thieves and criminals that have been allowed to become Conservative politicians.

15. garnett

Mobster

16. Btone

Wise Guy

all i know is the nearest village to me has high unemployment, yet when my brother goes looking for worker's for his mushroom houses it was always EU workers, very few local's every applied. when they did they only wanted to work 16 hours so not to mess with their benefits. they normally leave after a day or two as it seem's they don't like getting up at 4am to work,and they hated being put in with the EU workers which he had to do else the locals did sod all work.

doesn't matter how many years you "paid into the system" that only covers you for those years you paid not for any future years. the NHS is funded from CURRENT taxes, and if a person is paying their taxes then they entitled to use the NHS, also do you feel that the long term unemployed shouldn't get to use the NHS as they "not paid in"or what about a school girl who get pregnant and spends most of her "working life" raising children and never "paid into the system"does she get free health care, does her kids?

17. doodah

Capodecina

It's just a cesspit of posh venom now.

18. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I find it amazing the i couldn't be bothered to read even the un-paywalled part of that article before posting this drivel. Anyone who actually reads what The Telegraph wrote can see they both know the story of Icarus and are using the metaphor correctly.

19. Nasher

Capodecina

20. StriderX

Capodecina

It never predicted that, it predicted what we had - a 50/50 within margin of error result, if <2% is all that's required for immutable decisions, then this poll is fine too. Polls are always to be taken as a snapshot of the moment they've been sourced, which is why it's always hilarious to see people who call out polls they don't like as trash and polls that support them the word of god.