1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. BowdonUK

Mobster

I don't want to go off topic too much. But the point I was making is, for my example I'll assume you're a native born British person, when someone says "all British people are lazy", that includes you too. Just like it includes me, and I'd pick mushrooms, clean toilets or sweep the roads if I had to. We all don't turn down work.

2. StriderX

Capodecina

If you had to, but would you choose to. Most of the junkies i see are homebred wastes, while it may not be directly pertinent, it does seem to be a reality and only people who are distanced from it would say otherwise.

3. Monkeynut

Soldato

The problem is that the people willing to work usually have other options and the dole people have the option of... Well, the dole. So that only leaves EU workers.

4. And

Hitman

Good sports writing and coverage though :D

5. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

It doesn't matter how many times you say it, nor how true it is. You will never break free from the "polls are always wrong" or the "sample is too small to be indicative" group of morons fact resistant humans

6. thenewoc

Mobster

7. RDM

Capodecina

It is interesting that any pretence of social awareness can go out of the window if political point scoring is involved. Posters that would normally be arguing for intervention and support for drug addicts end up using very uncaring terms towards them instead.

The research I have seen shows mixed race as the group with the most drug problems, followed by white, black and then Indian, Pakistani with the Chinese community having the lowest extent. No community though is free of the blight of drug use. Unsurprisingly drug use is higher amongst refugees due to the additional stresses and trauma and lack of options these people face.

8. ianh

Mobster

So then they don't have evidence of what Boris said, they only have internal memo's of a list (?) of reasons the Government gave for asking for the break?

If that list (if it is a list) is so explosive that it lead 3 Scottish judges to claim that the list was a lie (how do they know?) then that list should be made public immediately so that everyone can see what evidence those judges used to say that Boris was "motivated by the improper purpose of stymieing Parliament and he had effectively misled the Queen in advising her to suspend Parliament." ie they have evidence that Boris directly lied to the Queen to get her to agree to proroging - we need to see that proof as that is a HUGE claim to make!

9. StriderX

Capodecina

I mean the crown office has sent folk out to talk about it, and they aren't pleased, see of that what you will, we'll know the Highest courts opinion next Tuesday, one that is a lose-lose for Unionists and/or Tories.

10. doodah

Capodecina

So if the SC follow through with today's decision, what's the bet Boris will use the tried and tested 'inadvertently' misled excuse?

11. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

I thought drug use was meant to be highest amongst city workers. Certainly London sewerage has high concentrations of cocaine.

12. bayo000

Mobster

Not dissimilar to if you refuse to provide a breath test if you're stopped by police.

13. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

In full Bertie Woosterish mode:):)

14. StriderX

Capodecina

Would make sense considering how pitiful their lives are, work all that time and nothing to show for it, but be berated by wealth at every turn.

15. chroniclard

Capodecina

Depends how wrong they are.

16. Mr Jack

Capodecina

So, the Good Friday Agreement says "...the Secretary of State shall [call a poll on Irish Unification] if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland". What does "appear likely" mean, in practical terms?

17. StriderX

Capodecina

Even if a 50/50 poll with a slight edge on unification isn't enough, 10 years later it will no longer be questionable and not preparing for it would be lolworthy.

18. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

There is also a question of whether Eire wants N.I. The idea in the UK seems to be definitely but Irish friends do not want that lot in their country. I wonder what a poll of people in Eire would reveal.

19. Mr Jack

Capodecina

There's been some polling done, but not a great deal, and it seems to support the idea that the people of Eire would like to see a unified Ireland.

20. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

That poll seems to indicate that they want N.I. to be part of the UK, either by direct rule or via a devolved assembly.

edit: unless it is so far in the future and will not lead to higher taxation.