1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. robfosters

Caporegime

I reckon it's about military stuff. Troop movements etc.

2. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

You knew all that and voted for brexit without being able to explain how it benefits the UK, your faith must be unshakable ;)

3. Uther

Sgarrista

And if it is deaths, would you still support it? Would you die for brexit?

4. adidan

Hitman

Statements like that prevent any sort of meaningful discussion.

5. robfosters

Caporegime

No, but no-one would imo. I believe the stories of deaths are hyperbole.

6. Jono8

Caporegime

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49670123

The government is refusing to publish details of communications between No 10 aides about Parliament's suspension, despite MPs voting for their release.

Cabinet minister Michael Gove said the information sought by MPs was "unreasonable and disproportionate".

It would breach the rights of the nine advisers concerned, including Boris Johnson's chief aide Dominic Cummings.

To do so, he added, would "contravene the law" and "offend against basic principles of fairness".

Um, **** off. No one elected Dominic Cummings. Our elected officials should be able to see all his communications if parliament wills it (and it has and voted for it in the majority). It is obvious they are hiding the real reason for the prorogation. I mean we all know why they did it, but like all politicians of their ilk, they like to keep the thinnest amount of plausible deniability there so they can deny it . They know if these communications got out, this horribly obvious lie will be proven.

I thought Brexiteers hated unelected bureaucrats?

7. StriderX

Capodecina

Parliament can get any document they wish to, regardless of laws (Parliament IS the law), next time it comes up they'll make sure that no law that might waste time can protect those messages and denying parliament will be a one way ticket to prison.

8. TJM

Wise Guy

9. dowie

Caporegime

Might need to leave the EU first ;)

10. The_Abyss

Capodecina

So you're selective in what parts of the document and government researched base case outcomes you choose to believe then?

11. CapitalOne

Wise Guy

12. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

13. Rroff

Man of Honour

I have to say doesn't match up with my experience but I have no idea how well it represents the broader picture - I have family and friends in NI and the younger ones are mostly pro staying in the UK and either have or intend to come to England, Wales or Scotland for uni, etc. and in some cases work.

14. a1ex2001

Capodecina

The messages clearly contain something interest that doesn’t paint the government in a particularly good light. Convenient that parliament has been shut down so no further debate can take place.....

15. Panos

Capodecina

FYI if those few pages of "Yellowhammer" assessment, are truly the work of this government since June 2016, even those Europeans who predict the EU implosion in 5 years time, have no hope for this government to pull through even the next bad weather.

Here is the EU assessment per outcome (no deal, some deal, soft deal, etc) published December 2017, work completed within 18 months.
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/brexitpublic/brexitstudies.html

Yeah is several thousands pages long (even if take the worst case scenario sections only), not a 5 page PDF took UK in 3 1/2 years!!!!!!

16. garnett

Mobster

So, while Yellowhammer shows how the rest of us are going to suffer, all our fellow OcUKers who voted for Brexit have gone in on this shorting action, set to profit from the UK doing badly after Brexit...Wait. You are all in on the action, right? It can't be that it's just wealthy speculators who are going to profit from conning you into voting for this?

17. dowie

Caporegime

You're getting into conspiracy theory territory, the article concerns short positions taken relatively recently as a result of the apparent increased chance of a no deal Brexit.

18. Uther

Sgarrista

Some people were always going to make a lot of money out of brexit. Very rich people.

19. Conscript

Sgarrista

Saw a Facebook post from Kent Online linking to their article on this document. The comments are depressing....mainly people dismissing it outright as scaremongering, even though its published by the government themselves, with absolutely no reasoning. Basically "If I don't want to hear it, it's scaremongering." How on Earth has critical thinking become so scarce?

20. Rroff

Man of Honour

Personally no though it was tempting to play the game - I sold a lot of my investments though a few weeks back kind of on a whim but partly with a forward eye to Brexit and putting my money elsewhere instead.