1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Panos

Capodecina

FYI if those few pages of "Yellowhammer" assessment, are truly the work of this government since June 2016, even those Europeans who predict the EU implosion in 5 years time, have no hope for this government to pull through even the next bad weather.

Here is the EU assessment per outcome (no deal, some deal, soft deal, etc) published December 2017, work completed within 18 months.
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/brexitpublic/brexitstudies.html

Yeah is several thousands pages long (even if take the worst case scenario sections only), not a 5 page PDF took UK in 3 1/2 years!!!!!!

2. garnett

Soldato

So, while Yellowhammer shows how the rest of us are going to suffer, all our fellow OcUKers who voted for Brexit have gone in on this shorting action, set to profit from the UK doing badly after Brexit...Wait. You are all in on the action, right? It can't be that it's just wealthy speculators who are going to profit from conning you into voting for this?

3. dowie

Caporegime

You're getting into conspiracy theory territory, the article concerns short positions taken relatively recently as a result of the apparent increased chance of a no deal Brexit.

4. Uther

Capodecina

Some people were always going to make a lot of money out of brexit. Very rich people.

5. Conscript

Sgarrista

Saw a Facebook post from Kent Online linking to their article on this document. The comments are depressing....mainly people dismissing it outright as scaremongering, even though its published by the government themselves, with absolutely no reasoning. Basically "If I don't want to hear it, it's scaremongering." How on Earth has critical thinking become so scarce?

6. Rroff

Man of Honour

Personally no though it was tempting to play the game - I sold a lot of my investments though a few weeks back kind of on a whim but partly with a forward eye to Brexit and putting my money elsewhere instead.

7. Greebo

Caporegime

Selective questions. Ask most people if they just want it over and done with and you get a majority saying yes. Ask them directly if they want a no deal and majority say no.
    I do think the referendum should be respected as well though but I want my Norway++ deal as promised.

8. VincentHanna

Capodecina

We knew what we were voting for.

I want my shortages and anarchy.

9. garnett

Soldato

Don't worry. It was tongue in cheek. I don't really believe OcUKers are shorting the UK.

10. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

You believe shortages of various medicines won’t directly impact on people, that’s a strong belief you have.

11. dowie

Caporegime

I wasn't referring to overclockers, though you might well find some are shorting UK companies.

12. Uther

Capodecina

He has to believe that, IIRC he's one who relies on such medical supplies.

13. VincentHanna

Capodecina

So he is almost literally a turkey voting for Christmas?

14. inogen

Mobster

Anyone who voted for the tories in the last few elections or voted for brexit ought to be thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed of themselves.

15. Murphy

Mobster

Doesn't the fact that you're disputing if there'll be deaths or not make you think perhaps this isn't the Brexit people voted for? Whatever happened to the "no down sides", "sunny up-lands", and all the other positive rhetoric that surrounded the leave campaign, it's gone from that to "short-term issues", and now we're seriously debating if people will lose their lives.

Whatever happened to the predictions of one of the founders of Vote Leave, Daniel Hannan, did his crystal ball let him down?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  16. Nitefly

Man of Honour

I honestly feel like that Brexit has become ‘the hurricane was going to hit Alabama’ levels of dumb.

We’ve gone from arguing the pros and cons of brexit, what parties think is it isn’t the best approach etc.... to this utterly absurd situation. No majority government, underhand tactics to suspend Parliament, a complete lack of transparency.

I just don’t know how it become so dumb. It’s just the most appropriate word. Dumb.

17. LOAM

Capodecina

I've said before, until people's friends, family and neighbours are dying around them people will not admit they got it wrong.

There's quite literally no one left saying this is going to be anything other than a catastrophe and yet onwards we March. I really don't get it.

18. Rroff

Man of Honour

They have a filter.

19. ethan

Soldato

No they are not. If I don't get make regular anti-coagulants I will die (having had two near misses already).

20. robfosters

Caporegime

Same here. I rely on warfarin to prevent strokes or an embolism, and I’m not worried at all.