1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Greebo

Caporegime

Selective questions. Ask most people if they just want it over and done with and you get a majority saying yes. Ask them directly if they want a no deal and majority say no.
    I do think the referendum should be respected as well though but I want my Norway++ deal as promised.

2. VincentHanna

Capodecina

We knew what we were voting for.

I want my shortages and anarchy.

3. garnett

Soldato

Don't worry. It was tongue in cheek. I don't really believe OcUKers are shorting the UK.

4. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

You believe shortages of various medicines won’t directly impact on people, that’s a strong belief you have.

5. dowie

Caporegime

I wasn't referring to overclockers, though you might well find some are shorting UK companies.

6. Uther

Capodecina

He has to believe that, IIRC he's one who relies on such medical supplies.

7. VincentHanna

Capodecina

So he is almost literally a turkey voting for Christmas?

8. inogen

Mobster

Anyone who voted for the tories in the last few elections or voted for brexit ought to be thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed of themselves.

9. Murphy

Mobster

Doesn't the fact that you're disputing if there'll be deaths or not make you think perhaps this isn't the Brexit people voted for? Whatever happened to the "no down sides", "sunny up-lands", and all the other positive rhetoric that surrounded the leave campaign, it's gone from that to "short-term issues", and now we're seriously debating if people will lose their lives.

Whatever happened to the predictions of one of the founders of Vote Leave, Daniel Hannan, did his crystal ball let him down?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  10. Nitefly

Man of Honour

I honestly feel like that Brexit has become ‘the hurricane was going to hit Alabama’ levels of dumb.

We’ve gone from arguing the pros and cons of brexit, what parties think is it isn’t the best approach etc.... to this utterly absurd situation. No majority government, underhand tactics to suspend Parliament, a complete lack of transparency.

I just don’t know how it become so dumb. It’s just the most appropriate word. Dumb.

11. LOAM

Capodecina

I've said before, until people's friends, family and neighbours are dying around them people will not admit they got it wrong.

There's quite literally no one left saying this is going to be anything other than a catastrophe and yet onwards we March. I really don't get it.

12. Rroff

Man of Honour

They have a filter.

13. ethan

Soldato

No they are not. If I don't get make regular anti-coagulants I will die (having had two near misses already).

14. robfosters

Caporegime

Same here. I rely on warfarin to prevent strokes or an embolism, and I’m not worried at all.

15. StriderX

Capodecina

Warfarin/anti-coags have alternatives, the issue is with niche drugs with little/nothing competing and difficult/impossible to store medicine.

Frankly i'm more interested in what of the two refineries will be shutting up shop, i have an eye to Pembroke and Grangemouth. Along with the fact that we have almost no ability to scout our waters, Spanish/Dutch/Baltic/Scandinavian boats will be illegally fishing with no recourse and zero quota, what a win for British trawlers. A new fleet would take years to bring into operation and likely with how our ship building seems to go, they'll suffer some strange fault.

This is still a poor summary, the full multi-hundred page document must be released, along with the OTHER scenarios, the actually worst case ones that they wish to just "ignore", i imagine there is a huge security risk that they don't want to admit as it would likely just increase the chance of it, but terrorist organisations are not dumb, so why are the public held in such contempt that they cant be trusted to know they might be in troubled waters?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  16. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

I'm sure Valero who operate Pembroke have already indicated that Brexit could be really bad for them - Grangemouth I'm not so sure about though as its such a big site for loads of things that aren't just petrol, Ineos Boss Jim Ratcliffe is a big Brexit fan (and resident of Switzerland.....)

17. RedvGreen

Mobster

Having had various civil servants in our building over the past 4-6 weeks I can attest that there are some very serious military and cyber security concerns that are not present in the document. Also no mention of martial law, which has, I believe, already been given the green light for mobilisation and deployment of troops.

18. StriderX

Capodecina

Just have to laggardly assume that transport hubs are now at imminent risk and avoid as much as possible, the CIRA will be back to it's usual tricks as well, thankfully they're much less able than their experienced brethren, but yet another worry to burden atop the usual Islamists and now increasingly far-right.

It would certainly make the Kremlin laugh, so at least someone's happy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  19. Rroff

Man of Honour

I'm actually surprised how much that has been kept quiet.

20. Blackjack Davy

Mobster

Do grow up theres a good chap.