1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. StriderX

Capodecina

Warfarin/anti-coags have alternatives, the issue is with niche drugs with little/nothing competing and difficult/impossible to store medicine.

Frankly i'm more interested in what of the two refineries will be shutting up shop, i have an eye to Pembroke and Grangemouth. Along with the fact that we have almost no ability to scout our waters, Spanish/Dutch/Baltic/Scandinavian boats will be illegally fishing with no recourse and zero quota, what a win for British trawlers. A new fleet would take years to bring into operation and likely with how our ship building seems to go, they'll suffer some strange fault.

This is still a poor summary, the full multi-hundred page document must be released, along with the OTHER scenarios, the actually worst case ones that they wish to just "ignore", i imagine there is a huge security risk that they don't want to admit as it would likely just increase the chance of it, but terrorist organisations are not dumb, so why are the public held in such contempt that they cant be trusted to know they might be in troubled waters?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

I'm sure Valero who operate Pembroke have already indicated that Brexit could be really bad for them - Grangemouth I'm not so sure about though as its such a big site for loads of things that aren't just petrol, Ineos Boss Jim Ratcliffe is a big Brexit fan (and resident of Switzerland.....)

3. RedvGreen

Mobster

Having had various civil servants in our building over the past 4-6 weeks I can attest that there are some very serious military and cyber security concerns that are not present in the document. Also no mention of martial law, which has, I believe, already been given the green light for mobilisation and deployment of troops.

4. StriderX

Capodecina

Just have to laggardly assume that transport hubs are now at imminent risk and avoid as much as possible, the CIRA will be back to it's usual tricks as well, thankfully they're much less able than their experienced brethren, but yet another worry to burden atop the usual Islamists and now increasingly far-right.

It would certainly make the Kremlin laugh, so at least someone's happy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  5. Rroff

Man of Honour

I'm actually surprised how much that has been kept quiet.

6. Blackjack Davy

Mobster

Do grow up theres a good chap.

7. ethan

Soldato

I've had an embolism.

8. iamtheoneneo

Sgarrista

So democracy only when it's in your terms...got it.

9. adidan

Hitman

So Kwasi reckons "many people" think judges are "biased".

Ok, anybody who disagrees with the government is biased. Got it.

10. Hotwired

Soldato

We've had a referendum which is being held up as a mandate despite the wording being horrific for such ends.

We have a majority of elected representatives in parliament trying to shut down the worst possible option as they see it.

And we have the PM and his supporters believing that they can play the UK and the EU for fools.

All powered by the votes of the people, all democratic.

Just the matter that none of these are working together.

So it does mean you are choosing the flavour of democracy you fancy. Or more accurately choosing the one that supports your views whether you care a toss or not for the democratic mechanisms.

11. garnett

Soldato

What's that response got to do with what he said?

It's like you've heard the response before; thought it sounded good, without understanding it; and then tried just posting it in response to anything.

Here's a better example...

Parliamentary sovereignty is really important...
    But only when it's on your terms...

12. Murphy

Mobster

Can't we just get rid of them or buy them off with expensive gifts or something, while we're at it perhaps we should consider our own paramilitary wing as those remainers can be really feisty, we could call them the Brexit troopers or something. Also why don't we shut down parliament permanently, we don't need them, we should make Boris emperor or maybe we can make him president with Farage as Chancellor or something, and while we're at it lets setup reeducation camps for all these remainers, they're obviously a threat to Brexit Britain. :p ;)

(In case it needs saying that's me using hyperbole to make a joke, or at least i hope it is).

13. adidan

Hitman

I hope so too, really tricky to tell nowadays.

I mean it used to be we talked about facts and used rational thinking, now it's ranting and opinions that drown the discourse.

14. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

He didn't say that they should be, or should have been, refused the vote. Democracy provides power to the people, an important part of that is understanding and owning the fact that under the democratic system the people share some of the responsibility for the outcome of their vote, something that vast swathes of the populace seem to have forgotten.

So no, not democracy under his terms, just democracy.

15. LOAM

Capodecina

In addition to this there a several big name players (banks / Barclay brothers etc) who have been named in the paradise papers as people who need to be living in a non EU member state by 2020 or be subject to tax avoidance laws.

I mean there's clearly nothing untoward going on there at all, it's just normal that rather that move to non EU member state you simply remove the entire country you live in because you own the press.

16. iamtheoneneo

Sgarrista

How is a referendum going to solve this without making matters worse?

There is no piece of wording that will appropriately detail all the feelings, thoughts of an entire nation.

What happens if we have another ref and a hard Brexit wins? Will the opposing side finally agree to let it occur or will we be back to square one and more commons fighting.

Easy to say let's have another ref without really thinking about the damage it can do.

Ref isnt going to solve anything , we have to hope that MPs can agree on some stance going forward whatever that may be.

17. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

referendum can solve everything if remainers actually vote this time and win

18. inogen

Mobster

Look where democracy on your terms has got us.

19. bayo000

Mobster

So Boris is threatening with No Deal yet his suspension of parliament killed two pretty important laws in No Deal Brexit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49655201

20. inogen

Mobster

Or just ignore the shame and double down on the embarrassment.